Transfer Portal

Just guessing, but are you guys talking about Joe Girard(i) III?
he would be a grad transfer? I dont like his game at all. I would pass, he can shoot but just never became the Jimmer type player they expected him to be.

I never saw a peep out of anyone that they believed Pinzon was any kind of problem and then boom, he was suspended for the season. We don't know much of anything. What I know is I sat through games where the effort was non-existent, and the point totals allowed in many of the games are now public record. Curbelo didn't even play in the Marquette Carnesecca debacle, so the idea that everyone but him were rock solid workaholics doesn't fit with the results. There was a problem with the group, it wasn't one or two guys. Go re-read the game threads.

Defense is effort and many games it was not there. Pitino knows how to watch tape.

These young men (not kids) are now paid professionals and many of them didn't earn another year of a SJU paycheck. Mike Repole is going to want a return on his money. That's the world of college basketball now and I don't know why it's always okay when these young men want to move on to "follow their dream" but it's not okay if a school that employs them wants to move on from paying for lack of performance.

If Pitino tells all these young men they are welcome to stay but he is saving any NIL money available for other players how many do you think stay because they are loyal to SJU?

I never saw a peep out of anyone that they believed Pinzon was any kind of problem and then boom, he was suspended for the season. We don't know much of anything. What I know is I sat through games where the effort was non-existent, and the point totals allowed in many of the games are now public record. Curbelo didn't even play in the Marquette Carnesecca debacle, so the idea that everyone but him were rock solid workaholics doesn't fit with the results. There was a problem with the group, it wasn't one or two guys. Go re-read the game threads.

Defense is effort and many games it was not there. Pitino knows how to watch tape.

These young men (not kids) are now paid professionals and many of them didn't earn another year of a SJU paycheck. Mike Repole is going to want a return on his money. That's the world of college basketball now and I don't know why it's always okay when these young men want to move on to "follow their dream" but it's not okay if a school that employs them wants to move on from paying for lack of performance.

If Pitino tells all these young men they are welcome to stay but he is saving any NIL money available for other players how many do you think stay because they are loyal to SJU?
Amen, brother!

Just to keep in mind for UNDERGRADUATE transfers who do not qualify for the 1 time immediate eligibility (ie those who are transferring for the 2nd time or more) the NCAA has sent out a memo advising of the standards for getting a waiver to play immediately. No longer will coaching change be considered. Also you are no longer getting a waiver even if you transferred because your former school basically told you they are no longer renewing your scholarship. This could be key if they go after players from schools with coaching changes and those players have already transferred once and used up their 1 time exception.

This waiver process DOES NOT apply to waivers for Grad Transfers who might need a waiver because they transferred once already and used the 1 time exception. That is a different and much less onerous waiver process.

“A waiver process remains available for undergraduate student-athletes who do not qualify for the one-time transfer exception; however there have been changes made to the types of requests that will be considered.

“An undergraduate transfer waiver will only be considered for student-athletes who transfer for reasons related to the student-athlete’s physical or mental health and well-being; due to exigent circumstances outside the student-athlete’s control (e.g., physical or sexual assault or discrimination based on a protected class); or assertions involving diagnosed education impacting disabilities.”

The memo also said that waivers will no longer be approved just because the athlete’s participation opportunity at their former school changed, or even because of a coaching change or a change in the athlete’s scholarship status.

Just to keep in mind for UNDERGRADUATE transfers who do not qualify for the 1 time immediate eligibility (ie those who are transferring for the 2nd time or more) the NCAA has sent out a memo advising of the standards for getting a waiver to play immediately. No longer will coaching change be considered. Also you are no longer getting a waiver even if you transferred because your former school basically told you they are no longer renewing your scholarship. This could be key if they go after players from schools with coaching changes and those players have already transferred once and used up their 1 time exception.

This waiver process DOES NOT apply to waivers for Grad Transfers who might need a waiver because they transferred once already and used the 1 time exception. That is a different and much less onerous waiver process.

“A waiver process remains available for undergraduate student-athletes who do not qualify for the one-time transfer exception; however there have been changes made to the types of requests that will be considered.

“An undergraduate transfer waiver will only be considered for student-athletes who transfer for reasons related to the student-athlete’s physical or mental health and well-being; due to exigent circumstances outside the student-athlete’s control (e.g., physical or sexual assault or discrimination based on a protected class); or assertions involving diagnosed education impacting disabilities.”

The memo also said that waivers will no longer be approved just because the athlete’s participation opportunity at their former school changed, or even because of a coaching change or a change in the athlete’s scholarship status.

I know it's been said many times before but the NCAA is really just awful.

Sounds like NCAA being the NCAA again. Sounds like kids will just have to go back to resorting to “A fellow student called me a name creating a hostile environment on campus for me and I just can’t cope with it”.

Sounds like NCAA being the NCAA again. Sounds like kids will just have to go back to resorting to “A fellow student called me a name creating a hostile environment on campus for me and I just can’t cope with it”.
That should be easy. All they have to do is be a regular college student.

Back