St. John's vs. Seton Hall Game Thread

A lot of it is this team being tired. Season starting to wear on 6 guys and it's obvious tonight. Lavin needs to bring in a lot of talented bodies.

I agree and am still positive about our future. . .but tonight should be an embarassment for the kids..Seton Hall is not a team that we should lose to by 30 points...I hope they remember this game and are amped to return the favor next year. . .

People can bring up the playing time argument all they want, it is going to be very hard to get recruits to believe in this program when we lose to Seton Hall by 30 points.

Yes, we are well aware that this team is shorthanded. But that is no reason why only one of our players can shoot the ball and we barely even attempt to play defense whatsoever. I'm hoping Lavin has some serious magic up his sleeve because five mid tier recruits aren't going to suddenly transform this team into a contender next season.

Actually, seton Hall's low tier recruits helped them beat us by a lot tonight coupled with their upperclassmen.

Sorry, was responding to MJ 
 It is tough for these kids. But they are getting a ton of experience Like Harrison said next year they ll have exp like seniors. They have to keep their heads held high and look at the big picture. This year there are just to many obstacles. youth, no depth, Gift is just a bench player so we have to play players out of position, who are not tall,nor muscular enough to keep up w the BE bigs.

People can bring up the playing time argument all they want, it is going to be very hard to get recruits to believe in this program when we lose to Seton Hall by 30 points.

Yes, we are well aware that this team is shorthanded. But that is no reason why only one of our players can shoot the ball and we barely even attempt to play defense whatsoever. I'm hoping Lavin has some serious magic up his sleeve because five mid tier recruits aren't going to suddenly transform this team into a contender next season.

Actually, seton Hall's low tier recruits helped them beat us by a lot tonight coupled with their upperclassmen.

62% from three and over 60% overall, ouch!

A lot of it is this team being tired. Season starting to wear on 6 guys and it's obvious tonight. Lavin needs to bring in a lot of talented bodies.

Some is. But it was pretty clear, Lavin didn't recruit enough offense in this class. That is on him and needs to be fixed if we want to get back to the NCAA next year. Pressure is on to find some.

Offense wasn't the issue although it wasn't good. They shot like 80% which was the problem. We just don't have enough bodies echo is the real problem. We have nobody to go to besides what is out there. Seton Hall has a full bench. Yes the have some kids that can shoot because they have more than double the amount of players we have.

Offense isn't a problem? We have 2-3 capable scorers. Are you kidding me? We can't make a outside shot to save our lives.

Some is. But it was pretty clear, Lavin didn't recruit enough offense in this class. That is on him and needs to be fixed if we want to get back to the NCAA next year. Pressure is on to find some.

Offense wasn't the issue although it wasn't good. They shot like 80% which was the problem. We just don't have enough bodies echo is the real problem. We have nobody to go to besides what is out there. Seton Hall has a full bench. Yes the have some kids that can shoot because they have more than double the amount of players we have.

Offense isn't a problem? We have 2-3 capable scorers. Are you kidding me? We can't make a outside shot to save our lives.

I never said it wasn't a problem. Re-read. They shot a ridiculous percentage from the field and 3 which was the biggest problem. Once again, we only have 5 freshmen and a 1st year JC player and nobody else to go to. If we had played them with only 5 of their freshmen, we would have smoked em, but that's not the case. We don't have a bonafide PG nor a center this season. We need a lot of things, most of all depth.

After tonite this is kinda how I see the season playing out. I think we beat UCLA and DePaul, have a close on with ND, I am not buying ND's success. A loss at Pitt and then a close one at Rutgers. These kids are hungry, they want to win, you can hear it at the press conferences and how hard they play in games. We are just not manned to win. We need players plan and simple. I hope that thses kids do not get down and realize that next year and beyond they will be handing out lopsidded loses. I have tons of faith in Lavin and his staff to get it done.

62% from three and over 60% overall, ouch!

How does Dunlap fail to make any coaching moves all game

Some of you also continue to forget that we can't quite play pressure defense like we wanna because we're so shorthanded. I'm willing to bet some of those possessions wouldn't have gone so easily for Seton Hall, if we had our entire roster. This goes back to masking weaknesses. We have little room for error and weaknesses are generally exposed due to a very, limited roster.

I believe we need to add another shooter or two. I think Harkless is a capable shooter, and it will look differently when he can slide to SF; has a PG that can get him the ball in good position; and, has other offensive options on the floor besides he and Harrison (and, occasionally Greene).

Some of you also continue to forget that we can't quite play pressure defense like we wanna because we're so shorthanded. I'm willing to bet some of those possessions wouldn't have gone so easily for Seton Hall, if we had our entire roster. This goes back to masking weaknesses. We have little room for error and weaknesses are generally exposed due to a very, limited roster.

I believe we need to add another shooter or two. I think Harkless is a capable shooter, and it will look differently when he can slide to SF; has a PG that can get him the ball in good position; and, has other offensive options on the floor besides he and Harrison (and, occasionally Greene).

Pressure D, how about a little D. I understand they don't want to foul but that doesn't mean you can't at least get out on a shooter. I agree with your offensive assesment, we need some shooters badly.

Sorry, was responding to MJ 

Once again, Ohio State was horrible (8-22, if I'm correct) the year before they went to the Final Four. They had 3 guys on that team that played a role for them the following season in Michael Redd, Ken Johnson and Jason Singleton. They were a year older and added a few pieces the following year (one notably was Scoonie Penn).

If we keep our current group in tact, then I feel we'll be fine a season from now. It's too hard from some of these kids to go 32-38 minutes every game in this conference. Quite frankly, no one, other than Harkless and Harrison, shouldn't be playing 30 minutes a game. Their minutes probably will be sheered out next season.

Of course, things look bleak and bad at the moment. I just believe with a solid, spring haul then things will be fine going forward.

Pressure D, how about a little D. I understand they don't want to foul but that doesn't mean you can't at least get out on a shooter. I agree with your offensive assesment, we need some shooters badly.

You'll see the defense they truly wanna play when they get sufficient bodies. Guys like Garrett and Pointer will come in handy.

I just got home from work and T=VO ed the game... what the heck happened. We lost to the Hall by 30????? gave up 94 points to a team that averages 57 per game? I knew the offense was weak but the defense against weaker teams like the Hall usually at least made it competitive. No matter which way you slice it, we should not be losing to the Hall by 30. And to think some 5 months ago many on this and other sites were saying how the couldn't see the Kyle Anderson would choose the Hall over us.

I think that its time for a realty check here. Posters are saying how these kids are worn out etc? These are young kids who are used to playing 20 hours a day. There is definately something that just aint clicking. To believe that at the snap of someone's fingers and a few more recruits will make everything better may not be realistic for next year. as those new recruits will take some time as well. And in terms of getting to the level of the big programs.... that may take a bit more time........ a 30 point loss to the Hall??? wow

You'll see the defense they truly wanna play when they get sufficient bodies. Guys like Garrett and Pointer will come in handy.

I understand that but we play no perimeter D.

Just saw the final score. Holy crap. I don't think we are going to be doing much dancing in march this year. When was the last time we lost by 30? 

I understand that but we play no perimeter D.

Agree, if you recall early in the year when we were playing D II and D II teams, they were lighting it up from the outside as well. Hopefully with more bodies next year we play more "on the ball defense" then zone.

I just got home from work and T=VO ed the game... what the heck happened. We lost to the Hall by 30????? gave up 94 points to a team that averages 57 per game? I knew the offense was weak but the defense against weaker teams like the Hall usually at least made it competitive. No matter which way you slice it, we should not be losing to the Hall by 30. And to think some 5 months ago many on this and other sites were saying how the couldn't see the Kyle Anderson would choose the Hall over us.[ /quote]

We didn't know Pelle, Sampson, and Garrett wouldn't qualify prior to Kyle verballing. Not to mention, losing Lindsey, as well. In the long run, I believe we'll have the better team than Seton Hall. Other than that, we did get hammered tonight.

I think that its time for a realty check here. Posters are saying how these kids are worn out etc? These are young kids who are used to playing 20 hours a day. There is definately something that just aint clicking. To believe that at the snap of someone's fingers and a few more recruits will make everything better may not be realistic for next year. as those new recruits will take some time as well. And in terms of getting to the level of the big programs.... that may take a bit more time........ a 30 point loss to the Hall??? wow

More "reality" talk, huh, realfan? Is that in the book called "negativity?" So, you're gonna take these kids playing 20 hours a day in mere pickup games (whether, it's rec ball or AAU) versus playing in more competitive games with much more on the line where mental fatigue can and usually play a role, huh? 

Back