St. John's vs. Seton Hall Game Thread

But how about projecting how much guys like Amir and Dom might improve their games next year? Or Mo and D-Lo's (who are already really good) and Phil's development, or Gift's? Add a JC and a few talented frosh, and I don't see why it is so absurd to think it will be a major improvement next year. 

Gift has struggled. But I love him coming off the bench next year for us. Hopefully Lavin brings in the recruits to make that happen, because GG isn't cut out right now for BE starter minutes.

I love how some of the posters think that lavin's plan b and c recruits are going to be successful starters next year. Look at pointer and Garrett and they are top 100 recruits.

You're so f'ing negative you can't even read what someone wrote without knocking him.

Hoopnut wrote " Hopefully Lavin brings in the recruits to make that happen "

Key word Hopefully

Try actually reading what someone writes before you quote him

Gift has struggled. But I love him coming off the bench next year for us. Hopefully Lavin brings in the recruits to make that happen, because GG isn't cut out right now for BE starter minutes.

I love how some of the posters think that lavin's plan b and c recruits are going to be successful starters next year. Look at pointer and Garrett and they are top 100 recruits.

You're so f'ing negative you can't even read what someone wrote without knocking him.

Hoopnut wrote " Hopefully Lavin brings in the recruits to make that happen "

Key word Hopefully

Try actually reading what someone writes before you quote him

Not to mention, he comes on here and intentionally directs crap at me. It's easy to be a jerk behind the confines of your PC.

MJDinkins, I am embarrassing? I really envy you, how you stay so positive and constantly rip posters who aren't as positive as you amazes me. I want to win as badly as anyone, and it'll be sweeter for me when we do, because I am a realist. I am sorry that I pay my way through graduate school and don't have the time and money to support this team anymore. I didn't even go to St. John's, and my Division 3 Liberal Arts school that started a Division 1 program in one sport after I was already born is a top 10 team in the country after replacing the national coach of the year, yet I root for this team day in and day out and care more about SJU bball than probably any poster on this board, when I have no reason to. What is embarrassing is you and your positive spin on this team that is horrible, with a substitute coach that is horrible. I would never attack Lavin because obviously his health comes first and I am not one of the fans who thinks that is something to joke around with and ridicule him for without knowing any details. However, his dream staff isn't doing it for me. Night in and night out these kids come out and play with no heart, that is embarrassing. I played 2 college sports, so I know what it is like to be a college athlete, probably more so than any of you, and I didn't always play well, or win, but I always left it on the field/ice, and to me these kids quit and besides a few of them have no heart. So keep living in your ivory tower and ridiculing everyone on a board that is expressing their opinions on a website dedicate to St. John's basketball. It is not a site dedicated to being nice to one another and putting a positive spin on everything. But 3 kids failing to qualify, 1 transfer, 1 kid quitting, no 2012 recruits isn't good, and you have to stop sugar coating it. Your lack of sports intelligence is embarrassing.

I don't care how you cut it. Lavin adding 5 more guys will help tremendously in a lot of different areas. I'm pretty sure whomever they are, they won't be total duds. It's not going to happen. Couple them with our core and an excellent soph PG in Branch and things will take a different shape. Anybody realize how long it took Theodore and Pope to get this good? It took all 4 years. At some points it looked like neither would turn out to be much. Theodore was a pure chucker in the past, and was nothing like his playing this season. Kids get a lot better with time and experience.

Nobody likes the way this year is going. It sucks. To tell the truth, nothing will calm the fears of Labin coming back until he's back. Not for fans nor recruits. Even when he comes back, we'll continue to read rumors about the USC job (a job that sucks and has been available forever). It's just the nature of the beast. This season surely isn't going well, but a lot of the negativity is really overboard.

yet I root for this team day in and day out and care more about SJU bball than probably any poster on this board, when I have no reason to.

I'm not knocking you as a fan right now but don't flatter yourself. Most people here care about SJU a lot and there are some posters here who haven't missed a game in over 20 years

MJDinkins, I am embarrassing? I really envy you, how you stay so positive and constantly rip posters who aren't as positive as you amazes me. I want to win as badly as anyone, and it'll be sweeter for me when we do, because I am a realist. I am sorry that I pay my way through graduate school and don't have the time and money to support this team anymore. I didn't even go to St. John's, and my Division 3 Liberal Arts school that started a Division 1 program in one sport after I was already born is a top 10 team in the country after replacing the national coach of the year, yet I root for this team day in and day out and care more about SJU bball than probably any poster on this board, when I have no reason to. What is embarrassing is you and your positive spin on this team that is horrible, with a substitute coach that is horrible. I would never attack Lavin because obviously his health comes first and I am not one of the fans who thinks that is something to joke around with and ridicule him for without knowing any details. However, his dream staff isn't doing it for me. Night in and night out these kids come out and play with no heart, that is embarrassing. I played 2 college sports, so I know what it is like to be a college athlete, probably more so than any of you, and I didn't always play well, or win, but I always left it on the field/ice, and to me these kids quit and besides a few of them have no heart. So keep living in your ivory tower and ridiculing everyone on a board that is expressing their opinions on a website dedicate to St. John's basketball. It is not a site dedicated to being nice to one another and putting a positive spin on everything. But 3 kids failing to qualify, 1 transfer, 1 kid quitting, no 2012 recruits isn't good, and you have to stop sugar coating it. Your lack of sports intelligence is embarrassing.

Your repetitive drivel after each loss is not needed. We got it the 45th time you said it. We get it! Go find you a stress reliever, if it's bothering you so much.

My lack of sports intelligence is embarrassing, huh? Is that the best you could do? LOL

We finally got rid of a POS phony recruiter who lost every major NY area top 100 player in his six years and who barley had one winning season and you wonder if Lavin can improve the team?
Providence is having a very bad year with a full team with some experience---why would any player want to play there if one followed your observations as a "Friar" fan?? Would you think they were in trouble?
What about sinking Uconn? They have too 50 talent and 2 first round draft picks ---- unlike Moe, both show up in all the mock drafts.
But I am sure you think Norm Roberts, who only seemed to sign plan B and C recruits after being shunned and laughed at by every major prospect, especially here in NYC, could have us in better shape right now.
Maybe the fired Al Skinner could have signed some of the plan B players that seem to sign with BC in the mighty ACC.
Maybe the underachieving Paul Hewitt would have won with the plan C players that would have wanted to play for his fired ass.
You do not need top 50 or 100 players to be nationally ranked----Harvard does not have a one. Creighton has no McDonald All Americans, St. Mary's is not mentioned with many plan A players.
You recruit in stages. Stage one is complete. This team will add another 5 players on top of Jamal Branch who was top 10 at his position nationally.
Do you really think Lavin will deliver us two Norm-type players??
What you drinking Willis?? 

I understand your point, but going to every game doesn't make you a better fan than another person. Some people do have other things to do in their lives, like attend college, go to grad school, play their own sports. I get your point and I respect the people who go to every game, but I don't think that is a fair assessment of fanhood.

MJDinkins, I think it is actually pathetic you knock people over a computer on a message board day in and day out. We are supposed to all be fans of the team, and be able to freely say what we want. You can pick and choose what you read. Maybe I enjoy taking my stress out about the team here, than with my friends and girlfriend who don't particularly care about SJU. Fortunately, all my friends like the same pro sports teams as me so I don't need to resort to a message board. Also, if you followed all my posts since I started posting, which is not that insane an amount, I have usually been a pretty positive poster up until now. I hate Dunlap, and don't think anyone on this team is good besides Harrison, and Moe when he wants to. When you have top recruits they should be better, that is my point. If it makes you feel better I will read the site for updates on our amazing recruiting trail and not post anymore, since that is what I used the site for for about 14 years anyway. I have a life outside of this.

However, I am an intelligent sport person who can actually make insightful comments, and yes I do knock your sports IQ, because you really don't seem to get it. Just because you are a fan does not mean you need to be positive. Continue to knock the people on this board you don't agree with, I can already guess your political affiliation and that will get you far in life. I hope to meet members of the board one day since I go to home games and usually go to bars near the Garden before and after the games. 

We finally got rid of a POS phony recruiter who lost every major NY area top 100 player in his six years and who barley had one winning season and you wonder if Lavin can improve the team?
Providence is having a very bad year with a full team with some experience---why would any player want to play there if one followed your observations as a "Friar" fan?? Would you think they were in trouble?
What about sinking Uconn? They have too 50 talent and 2 first round draft picks ---- unlike Moe, both show up in all the mock drafts.
But I am sure you think Norm Roberts, who only seemed to sign plan B and C recruits after being shunned and laughed at by every major prospect, especially here in NYC, could have us in better shape right now.
Maybe the fired Al Skinner could have signed some of the plan B players that seem to sign with BC in the mighty ACC.
Maybe the underachieving Paul Hewitt would have won with the plan C players that would have wanted to play for his fired ass.
You do not need top 50 or 100 players to be nationally ranked----Harvard does not have a one. Creighton has no McDonald All Americans, St. Mary's is not mentioned with many plan A players.
You recruit in stages. Stage one is complete. This team will add another 5 players on top of Jamal Branch who was top 10 at his position nationally.
Do you really think Lavin will deliver us two Norm-type players??
What you drinking Willis?? 

Once again, fantastic...

MJDinkins, I think it is actually pathetic you knock people over a computer on a message board day in and day out. We are supposed to all be fans of the team, and be able to freely say what we want. You can pick and choose what you read. Maybe I enjoy taking my stress out about the team here, than with my friends and girlfriend who don't particularly care about SJU. Fortunately, all my friends like the same pro sports teams as me so I don't need to resort to a message board. Also, if you followed all my posts since I started posting, which is not that insane an amount, I have usually been a pretty positive poster up until now. I hate Dunlap, and don't think anyone on this team is good besides Harrison, and Moe when he wants to. When you have top recruits they should be better, that is my point. If it makes you feel better I will read the site for updates on our amazing recruiting trail and not post anymore, since that is what I used the site for for about 14 years anyway. I have a life outside of this.

However, I am an intelligent sport person who can actually make insightful comments, and yes I do knock your sports IQ, because you really don't seem to get it. Just because you are a fan does not mean you need to be positive. Continue to knock the people on this board you don't agree with, I can already guess your political affiliation and that will get you far in life. I hope to meet members of the board one day since I go to home games and usually go to bars near the Garden before and after the games. 

I think you're pretty pathetic to constantly come on here day after day or game after game and repeat the same stuff over and over. We get it! I have no problems with different opinions, contrary to what you believe. I've been in this world for 39 years and on this board since '98. So, I can handle different opinions. I was also a coach for several years on a fairly, successful high school football team. The head coach is now one of the better coaches in D-1AA (or FCS) college football. I had to deal with different opinions while coaching, as well. I've been dealing with different opinions all my life. I just can't handle constant negativity. It gets old and boring. Once again, we got it the 45th time you said it.

So, because a person is a top recruit it should automatically make them better? But, you knocked my sports intelligence. Child please! Not all kids are exactly ready coming into college. Heck! Some highly ranked kids never figure it out. I can name quite a few kids that either didn't pan out their first year or never panned out.

I know plenty about football and basketball. It gets tiring talking to some of you on here, so it becomes a waste of time. I'm not much a political fan and I've already done okay in life. Thank you! I guess I struck a chord since you're going off on your diatribe. It's all good!

I hope you're more mellow once you meet some of the board in person. Maybe, you'll have a good time.    

MJ why do you bother. If you read a post and know, as is the case with many if not most posters, that the person has no idea what they're talking about just pass it by. Ignore it. Some people need to vent. Some people don't have a clue. Some people are a little of both. Almost all don't deserve the time necessary to type up a reply.

MJ why do you bother. If you read a post and know, as is the case with many if not most posters, that the person has no idea what they're talking about just pass it by. Ignore it. Some people need to vent. Some people don't have a clue. Some people are a little of both. Almost all don't deserve the time necessary to type up a reply.

I'm trying, austour. I'm trying.... I gotta do a better job of it going forward. ;)

Just got back from the Rock. Me and about 50 or so other SJU fans watched SH demolish our schools basketball team. it was a SH party my friends. There is no energy, optimism, passion and candidly apathy is setting in.

All my excitement from last years run is gone and we are back to a losing and floundering program my friends. These are the facts. I think Coach L refers to chisel to grindstone or something to this effect, but this is like hammer to mount Rushmore. The coworker I was with, a SH fan, said wow, I feel sorry for you guys, this is tough..

2011-2012 goes down as a season to forget and another long losing season in our illustruios history.

And, I can't imagine how much of a sales job Lavin has ahead of him to convince the current players to not jump ship. This ship my friends is sunk.

I'll be going to the Rutgers game and will probably watch RU have an end of the season party against our basketball program.

Tough times my friends. Tough on coaches, players, fans, etc... There is nothing positive to take from today's game.

You realize that we started five freshman...three playing out of position, right? You realize we have six players, right?

You realize that four of our five freshman are consensus top 75 RSCI recruits, right?

Seton Hall was led by two seniors and a soph. It was literally boys v. men. We'll see how sorry Seton Hall fans feel for us next year when we return the favor and demolish them.

I'm not a happy camper, but these kids are in an impossible situation right now and we have a top 50 PG sitting helplessly not able to play until December. Man, could we have used him tonight.

I just got home from work and T=VO ed the game... what the heck happened. We lost to the Hall by 30????? gave up 94 points to a team that averages 57 per game? I knew the offense was weak but the defense against weaker teams like the Hall usually at least made it competitive. No matter which way you slice it, we should not be losing to the Hall by 30. And to think some 5 months ago many on this and other sites were saying how the couldn't see the Kyle Anderson would choose the Hall over us.[ /quote]

We didn't know Pelle, Sampson, and Garrett wouldn't qualify prior to Kyle verballing. Not to mention, losing Lindsey, as well. In the long run, I believe we'll have the better team than Seton Hall. Other than that, we did get hammered tonight.

I think that its time for a realty check here. Posters are saying how these kids are worn out etc? These are young kids who are used to playing 20 hours a day. There is definately something that just aint clicking. To believe that at the snap of someone's fingers and a few more recruits will make everything better may not be realistic for next year. as those new recruits will take some time as well. And in terms of getting to the level of the big programs.... that may take a bit more time........ a 30 point loss to the Hall??? wow

More "reality" talk, huh, realfan? Is that in the book called "negativity?" So, you're gonna take these kids playing 20 hours a day in mere pickup games (whether, it's rec ball or AAU) versus playing in more competitive games
much more on the line where mental fatigue can and usually play a role, huh? [/quot
No its called reality. if Norm was losing by 30 under any circumstances, we would all be hammering the guy. Again with the Realfan reference? Perhaps you dont see the unfortunate significance of losing to the Hall like this. Just remember Dinky, we are recruiting the same Jersey kids as they are. Do you think those kids think about the fatigue factor here? Nope, all they see is blowout city..... and that's reality pal.

Quite frankly, if I had any doubts whether it was you or not.... My doubts is proof you're actually realfan. You wanna know why? You're the only one who called me "Dinky." LOL  

HAAAA. I was just about to post that. Realfan was the only one that called you Dinky !!
I was positive anyway but what a mistake by Realfan with the nickname slip.

What r you talking about? Whats wrong with Dinky, I have seen it used by other posters...... For one last time, IM NOT REALFAN ha, ha, man, what a couple of BOZOs :)

Who else have you saw use it? You're so transparent that it doesn't make any sense. Not to mention, you used the the emoticons at the end (for deflection).

Man you need to get a life or a real girlfriend for that matter.

Once again, nice deflection.

Thanks Scotch

Just got back from the Rock. Me and about 50 or so other SJU fans watched SH demolish our schools basketball team. it was a SH party my friends. There is no energy, optimism, passion and candidly apathy is setting in.

All my excitement from last years run is gone and we are back to a losing and floundering program my friends. These are the facts. I think Coach L refers to chisel to grindstone or something to this effect, but this is like hammer to mount Rushmore. The coworker I was with, a SH fan, said wow, I feel sorry for you guys, this is tough..

2011-2012 goes down as a season to forget and another long losing season in our illustruios history.

And, I can't imagine how much of a sales job Lavin has ahead of him to convince the current players to not jump ship. This ship my friends is sunk.

I'll be going to the Rutgers game and will probably watch RU have an end of the season party against our basketball program.

Tough times my friends. Tough on coaches, players, fans, etc... There is nothing positive to take from today's game.

You realize that we started five freshman...three playing out of position, right? You realize we have six players, right?

You realize that four of our five freshman are consensus top 75 RSCI recruits, right?

Seton Hall was led by two seniors and a soph. It was literally boys v. men. We'll see how sorry Seton Hall fans feel for us next year when we return the favor and demolish them.

I'm not a happy camper, but these kids are in an impossible situation right now and we have a top 50 PG sitting helplessly not able to play until December. Man, could we have used him tonight.

Funny, but that's the same stuff we heard last year on this site when we lost to the Hall. "wait till next year when they lose this guy and that guy". The freshman excuse is old at this point as these top 100 kids have logged in more minutes then some juniors. The depth factor is an issue but could Dunlap have given some other walk ons a chance early in the season so that they could spell these kids for at least a minute or two? I believe that that was a critical error of judgement on the part of the staff.

Please, don't insult intelligent posters on this site justifying a 30 point blowout to a mediocre, under 500 Hall team. And if you are going to reference a " top 50" player, try to remember that Harkless, Harrison and Pointer were top 50 powers as well.

I just got home from work and T=VO ed the game... what the heck happened. We lost to the Hall by 30????? gave up 94 points to a team that averages 57 per game? I knew the offense was weak but the defense against weaker teams like the Hall usually at least made it competitive. No matter which way you slice it, we should not be losing to the Hall by 30. And to think some 5 months ago many on this and other sites were saying how the couldn't see the Kyle Anderson would choose the Hall over us.[ /quote]

We didn't know Pelle, Sampson, and Garrett wouldn't qualify prior to Kyle verballing. Not to mention, losing Lindsey, as well. In the long run, I believe we'll have the better team than Seton Hall. Other than that, we did get hammered tonight.

I think that its time for a realty check here. Posters are saying how these kids are worn out etc? These are young kids who are used to playing 20 hours a day. There is definately something that just aint clicking. To believe that at the snap of someone's fingers and a few more recruits will make everything better may not be realistic for next year. as those new recruits will take some time as well. And in terms of getting to the level of the big programs.... that may take a bit more time........ a 30 point loss to the Hall??? wow

More "reality" talk, huh, realfan? Is that in the book called "negativity?" So, you're gonna take these kids playing 20 hours a day in mere pickup games (whether, it's rec ball or AAU) versus playing in more competitive games
much more on the line where mental fatigue can and usually play a role, huh? [/quot
No its called reality. if Norm was losing by 30 under any circumstances, we would all be hammering the guy. Again with the Realfan reference? Perhaps you dont see the unfortunate significance of losing to the Hall like this. Just remember Dinky, we are recruiting the same Jersey kids as they are. Do you think those kids think about the fatigue factor here? Nope, all they see is blowout city..... and that's reality pal.

Quite frankly, if I had any doubts whether it was you or not.... My doubts is proof you're actually realfan. You wanna know why? You're the only one who called me "Dinky." LOL  

HAAAA. I was just about to post that. Realfan was the only one that called you Dinky !!
I was positive anyway but what a mistake by Realfan with the nickname slip.

What r you talking about? Whats wrong with Dinky, I have seen it used by other posters...... For one last time, IM NOT REALFAN ha, ha, man, what a couple of BOZOs :)

Who else have you saw use it? You're so transparent that it doesn't make any sense. Not to mention, you used the the emoticons at the end (for deflection).

Man you need to get a life or a real girlfriend for that matter.

Once again, nice deflection.

Thanks Scotch

Why are you here, realfan?

Back