St. John's vs. Seton Hall Game Thread

Just got back from the Rock. Me and about 50 or so other SJU fans watched SH demolish our schools basketball team. it was a SH party my friends. There is no energy, optimism, passion and candidly apathy is setting in.

All my excitement from last years run is gone and we are back to a losing and floundering program my friends. These are the facts. I think Coach L refers to chisel to grindstone or something to this effect, but this is like hammer to mount Rushmore. The coworker I was with, a SH fan, said wow, I feel sorry for you guys, this is tough..

2011-2012 goes down as a season to forget and another long losing season in our illustruios history.

And, I can't imagine how much of a sales job Lavin has ahead of him to convince the current players to not jump ship. This ship my friends is sunk.

I'll be going to the Rutgers game and will probably watch RU have an end of the season party against our basketball program.

Tough times my friends. Tough on coaches, players, fans, etc... There is nothing positive to take from today's game.

I'm just glad I called an audible at the last minute and decided to take my girlfriend out to dinner instead of watching the game. 

That's my positive spin on the day :)

I just got home from work and T=VO ed the game... what the heck happened. We lost to the Hall by 30????? gave up 94 points to a team that averages 57 per game? I knew the offense was weak but the defense against weaker teams like the Hall usually at least made it competitive. No matter which way you slice it, we should not be losing to the Hall by 30. And to think some 5 months ago many on this and other sites were saying how the couldn't see the Kyle Anderson would choose the Hall over us.[ /quote]

We didn't know Pelle, Sampson, and Garrett wouldn't qualify prior to Kyle verballing. Not to mention, losing Lindsey, as well. In the long run, I believe we'll have the better team than Seton Hall. Other than that, we did get hammered tonight.

I think that its time for a realty check here. Posters are saying how these kids are worn out etc? These are young kids who are used to playing 20 hours a day. There is definately something that just aint clicking. To believe that at the snap of someone's fingers and a few more recruits will make everything better may not be realistic for next year. as those new recruits will take some time as well. And in terms of getting to the level of the big programs.... that may take a bit more time........ a 30 point loss to the Hall??? wow

More "reality" talk, huh, realfan? Is that in the book called "negativity?" So, you're gonna take these kids playing 20 hours a day in mere pickup games (whether, it's rec ball or AAU) versus playing in more competitive games with much more on the line where mental fatigue can and usually play a role, huh? 

No its called reality. if Norm was losing by 30 under any circumstances, we would all be hammering the guy. Again with the Realfan reference? Perhaps you dont see the unfortunate significance of losing to the Hall like this. Just remember Dinky, we are recruiting the same Jersey kids as they are. Do you think those kids think about the fatigue factor here? Nope, all they see is blowout city..... and that's reality pal.

Quite frankly, if I had any doubts whether it was you or not.... My doubts is proof you're actually realfan. You wanna know why? You're the only one who called me "Dinky." LOL  

HAAAA. I was just about to post that. Realfan was the only one that called you Dinky !!!

I was positive anyway but what a mistake by Realfan with the nickname slip.

I'm just glad I called an audible at the last minute and decided to take my girlfriend out to dinner instead of watching the game. 

That's my positive spin on the day :)

Now now, lets not be negative here. ;)

I just got home from work and T=VO ed the game... what the heck happened. We lost to the Hall by 30????? gave up 94 points to a team that averages 57 per game? I knew the offense was weak but the defense against weaker teams like the Hall usually at least made it competitive. No matter which way you slice it, we should not be losing to the Hall by 30. And to think some 5 months ago many on this and other sites were saying how the couldn't see the Kyle Anderson would choose the Hall over us.[ /quote]

We didn't know Pelle, Sampson, and Garrett wouldn't qualify prior to Kyle verballing. Not to mention, losing Lindsey, as well. In the long run, I believe we'll have the better team than Seton Hall. Other than that, we did get hammered tonight.

I think that its time for a realty check here. Posters are saying how these kids are worn out etc? These are young kids who are used to playing 20 hours a day. There is definately something that just aint clicking. To believe that at the snap of someone's fingers and a few more recruits will make everything better may not be realistic for next year. as those new recruits will take some time as well. And in terms of getting to the level of the big programs.... that may take a bit more time........ a 30 point loss to the Hall??? wow

More "reality" talk, huh, realfan? Is that in the book called "negativity?" So, you're gonna take these kids playing 20 hours a day in mere pickup games (whether, it's rec ball or AAU) versus playing in more competitive games with much more on the line where mental fatigue can and usually play a role, huh? 

No its called reality. if Norm was losing by 30 under any circumstances, we would all be hammering the guy. Again with the Realfan reference? Perhaps you dont see the unfortunate significance of losing to the Hall like this. Just remember Dinky, we are recruiting the same Jersey kids as they are. Do you think those kids think about the fatigue factor here? Nope, all they see is blowout city..... and that's reality pal.

Quite frankly, if I had any doubts whether it was you or not.... My doubts is proof you're actually realfan. You wanna know why? You're the only one who called me "Dinky." LOL  

HAAAA. I was just about to post that. Realfan was the only one that called you Dinky !!!

What r you talking about? Whats wrong with Dinky, I have seen it used by other posters...... For one last time, IM NOT REALFAN ha, ha, man, what a couple of BOZOs :)

It was a bad game -- happens. To say that one game will dictate Lavin's recruiting ability is stretching it though. Look at Providence -- they are having a terrible year, it is the toughest situation to recruit in the Big East, and being driven by an unproven coach who has 1/100000 of Lavin's history. 

Recruits will remember last year, when we had a terrific and unexpected season with Lav at the helm. They know this is a tough situation with only 6 players, 5 of whom are freshman. And they'll see the talent we have coming back.

I know the knee-jerk reaction is to go nuts after a loss like this. But relax. As long as Lav is back, program is more than fine.

What r you talking about? Whats wrong with Dinky, I have seen it used by other posters...... For one last time, IM NOT REALFAN ha, ha, man, what a couple of BOZOs :)

Who else have you saw use it? You're so transparent that it doesn't make any sense. LOL Not to mention, you used the the emoticons at the end (for deflection). 

I don't think games like this really affect the recruiting process...stj was dormant for 10 years and that didn't even stop lavin from recruiting a top 3 class...a great recruiter can get top talent no matter what...lets not forget only 2 days ago these guys were in a game within 3 points with a top 10 team in the country....they had a day off and played a team that hit like 20 treys...lets be realistic and understanding of t the reality of it....we will be fine come next year

But there is one difference. Lavin recruited a top class after Norm left. He touted great coaching and an entire new staff. At that time there was a buzz. Now we are dealing with the same coaching staff that had this years results. That may be a harder task this time around.

I just wish that the black cloud would get away from this program once and for all. It;s hard living in a city with an abundance of Cuse fans, Hall fans, Notre Dame fans and G town fans.

Who else have you saw use it? You're so transparent that it doesn't make any sense. Not to mention, you used the the emoticons at the end (for deflection).

Man you need to get a life or a real girlfriend for that matter.

Who else have you saw use it? You're so transparent that it doesn't make any sense. Not to mention, you used the the emoticons at the end (for deflection).

Once again, nice deflection.

People would have been hammering Norm because (a) he doesn't have Lavs track record; (b) he never brought in the type of recruits that Lav has in just one season; (c) he didn't have Lav's result. Does anyone think that Norm would have replicated what Lavin did last year, in terms of success on the court, recruiting, and establishing a general "buzz" around our program. Come on now. Apples and oranges. This year has been rough, and will continue to be. But give this some time. 

Recruits want PT which there is plenty of. My biggest concerns are gettinnLavin on the bench, having all these kids back next year and getting them 5 more bodies as promised to help.
 Those are legitimate concerns.

Didn't see the St. Valentine's day massacre, however I did listen on the radio. I switched back and forth from 770 WABC to 1130 Bloomberg and stayed more with ABC partly because Gary Cohen is such a great announcer, although I Like Minko.
It doesn't hurt that the signal is 5 times as good and clear.  One thing that is noteworthy is the Seton Hall broadcast is hands down much better that St. John's. They have at least 20 minutes of wrap up and discussion along with radio highlights and preview of up coming games.
By the way Cohen and partner could not believe the success of Seton Hall from three. They wondered where it was all season.

Still an optimist dinkins? Somebody on the other site called me scotch, but I think that name may be more appropriate for you. This program is in trouble. It's pretty obvious.

I don't think games like this really affect the recruiting process...stj was dormant for 10 years and that didn't even stop lavin from recruiting a top 3 class...a great recruiter can get top talent no matter what...lets not forget only 2 days ago these guys were in a game within 3 points with a top 10 team in the country....they had a day off and played a team that hit like 20 treys...lets be realistic and understanding of t the reality of it....we will be fine come next year

But there is one difference. Lavin recruited a top class after Norm left. He touted great coaching and an entire new staff. At that time there was a buzz. Now we are dealing with the same coaching staff that had this years results. That may be a harder task this time around.

I just wish that the black cloud would get away from this program once and for all. It;s hard living in a city with an abundance of Cuse fans, Hall fans, Notre Dame fans and G town fans.

Really though I don't think kids care all that much about how well we do this year. To some extent they want to play for a winning team, and with some kids maybe it's a bigger factor. But most kids want to be showcased and want to know you can get them to the pros. That's what Lavin and staff have a history of doing. And actually this year they're doing pretty well in that department. Moe and Harrison are being talked about by commentators/scouts as freshmen. Neither is draft ready, but both will get paid to play professional basketball someday somewhere.

That kind've stuff matters to kids too.

Gift has struggled. But I love him coming off the bench next year for us. Hopefully Lavin brings in the recruits to make that happen, because GG isn't cut out right now for BE starter minutes.

I love how some of the posters think that lavin's plan b and c recruits are going to be successful starters next year. Look at pointer and Garrett and they are top 100 recruits.

People would have been hammering Norm because (a) he doesn't have Lavs track record; (b) he never brought in the type of recruits that Lav has in just one season; (c) he didn't have Lav's result. Does anyone think that Norm would have replicated what Lavin did last year, in terms of success on the court, recruiting, and establishing a general "buzz" around our program. Come on now. Apples and oranges. This year has been rough, and will continue to be. But give this some time. 

I'm a Lav supporter, but just to play devil's advocate.. shouldn't the question be do we think any of the other coaching candidates we could've hired instead of Lavin; would they have been able to do what he did last year? And, would we be any better off this season with one of them?

I say no on all accounts. But really, the argument isn't would Norm have done better, but would Paul Hewitt, Al Skinner, Fran McCaffery etc have us better off?

Or drink some scotch

Still an optimist dinkins? Somebody on the other site called me scotch, but I think that name may be more appropriate for you. This program is in trouble. It's pretty obvious.

Yes, I'm still an optimist. Why would you come on here and direct your post at me, jerk? Then, call me "Scotch." Stay behind your PC, keyboard superman.

The only thing that is "trouble" is you.

Back