RJ Luis

I know many view RJ as a star in the making. Note that yesterday he had all his points in the first half. If he sticks around and Rick finds a true PG in the portal, I hope they utilize him better with screens and curls. He seems most comfortable with catch and shoot game. He can rebound well, so despite my frustration he has a reasonably good skill set offensively. Shot selection and playing smart must improve however.

On defense, I think Rick and staff in off season have to get his buy in and work with him in detail. Will he be a willing student? Jury is out on that, but worth a shot. All this is moot if someone gets in his ear to play somewhere else. If so, I am quite ok w that.
He plays for us like David Jones used to play for us.

The way people are dumping on Luis, you would think his season has been a complete bust and compared to his season at UMASS.

I'm not disputing that his game needs to be refined, most notably decision making. Except for 3 point shooting (he has only taken 1 per game) which knocks down his overall shooting percentage, playing at a higher level and battling injury, the productivity per minute in scoring, rebounds, steals is all pretty good.

10 points and 4.7 rebounds per game in about 20 minutes is a valuable commodity.

Note: even his turnover per game are down by 1/3 over last season.

Let's not be so quick to run this kid out of town. If anyone recalls his coast to coast, spin in the lane to shed 2 defenders for a floater, there is no one on our team who can do that sort of thing.

Again not refuting how disruptive his poor play can be, just saying that despite all this he has put up productive numbers. I'm still in his fan club and hope some of you are too.

Wouldn't be shocked if he Had a redemptive game when we beat Butler Wednesday. I should have said play not beat but what the hell.

Season Averages
SEASONTEAM
2022-23
MASS
MASS
2023-24
SJU
SJU
Career

GPGSMINFGFG%3PT3P%FTFT%ORDRREBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS
271022.84.1-9.045.50.6-1.734.82.8-3.578.91.63.04.61.30.31.12.22.211.5
181020.83.8-9.639.90.3-1.720.02.1-2.971.21.43.34.70.90.31.32.41.510.1
452022.04.0-9.243.10.5-1.728.92.5-3.376.21.53.14.61.10.31.22.31.910.9

Last edited:
I thought Luis would be our best player this year and I was wrong.

Maybe it was the injuries but that excuse is fading by the minute with me. Sometimes the most flashy plays are not what is best for the overall success of the team.

It was definitely not a coincidence how much better they looked yesterday (and coherent on offense) with the ultimate glue guy (and I say that in an endearing way) Glenn Taylor doing all the little things that lead to the overall success of the team.

I will gladly exchange a few monster one-handed dunks a game (or at least attempts at such) for a lock down defender.

The way people are dumping on Luis, you would think his season has been a complete bust and compared to his season at UMASS.

I'm not disputing that his game needs to be refined, most notably decision making. Except for 3 point shooting (he has only taken 1 per game) which knocks down his overall shooting percentage, playing at a higher level and battling injury, the productivity per minute in scoring, rebounds, steals is all pretty good.

10 points and 4.7 rebounds per game in about 20 minutes is a valuable commodity.

Note: even his turnover per game are down by 1/3 over last season.

Let's not be so quick to run this kid out of town. If anyone recalls his coast to coast, spin in the lane to shed 2 defenders for a floater, there is no one on our team who can do that sort of thing.

Again not refuting how disruptive his poor play can be, just saying that despite all this he has put up productive numbers. I'm still in his fan club and hope some of you are too.

Wouldn't be shocked if he Had a redemptive game when we beat Butler Wednesday. I should have said play not beat but what the hell.

Season Averages
SEASONTEAM
2022-23
MASS
MASS
2023-24
SJU
SJU
Career

GPGSMINFGFG%3PT3P%FTFT%ORDRREBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS
271022.84.1-9.045.50.6-1.734.82.8-3.578.91.63.04.61.30.31.12.22.211.5
181020.83.8-9.639.90.3-1.720.02.1-2.971.21.43.34.70.90.31.32.41.510.1
452022.04.0-9.243.10.5-1.728.92.5-3.376.21.53.14.61.10.31.22.31.910.9
Numbers lie, the eye test doesn’t. One wants to say he is worth keeping and developing, I have no problem. But he has pretty much played poorly and for himself, occasional great moves notwithstanding.
One in the very positive column from me, he plays hard, I would never take that away from him; that can’t be taught so there is the most basic of foundations to develop from if he buys in.

He's selfish offensively and lazy defensively. He has 16 assists this season. SIXTEEN. I'd personally like to see us move on from him after this season, but I trust in whatever Pitino decides.
Agree. His lack of playing time yesterday was one of the keys to us winning the game. Keep him on the bench and we are a much better team.

Luis has length, speed, and hops which are things you can't teach. He has been an excellent offensive rebounder as well. His shooting form is good and I think that the inconsistency in that is due to injury, rust, lack of practice, inconsistent playing time. And he plays hard.

What holds back the translation of those skills into productive basketball is (a) bad ball-handling in the open court and (b) bad judgment. And really (a) is a product of (b); if he had better basketball sense he wouldn't dribble so much.

If he can be developed in between the ears, there is a LOT there to work with. And if anyone can do it, Pitino is a good bet.

Think it's all up to Luis - if he wants to come back and take the education, he (and we) may profit handsomely. Otherwise he can follow David Jones at Memphis since they are almost the same guy.

Numbers lie, the eye test doesn’t. One wants to say he is worth keeping and developing, I have no problem. But he has pretty much played poorly and for himself, occasional great moves notwithstanding.
One in the very positive column from me, he plays hard, I would never take that away from him; that can’t be taught so there is the most basic of foundations to develop from if he buys in.
All I'm saying is people had high expectation based on his stats at a mid major and his stats here playing at a higher level are comparable. I'm going to guess that his style of play hasn't changed radically from last season.

I'm not saying he doesn't make a lot of bad decisions that impede him from being more valuable.

I am saying that if you remove is 10 ppg and almost 5 rebounds from the lineup there isn't anyone off the bench who can provide that.

No disagreement that he needs much improvement to be a highly valuable commodity and approach his ceiling.

That's it.

Some posters a few weeks back looked at under performing guys like Ledlum and Dingle and attributed it to coming from lower level hoops program.

Well, many also identified Luis as a diamond in rough and future star. Take a look at his stats this year v last. Imo, the acclimation to BE level of play has a lot to do w his struggles. His aversion to consistently defend is another issue, but for now the O stats seem worth looking at.

All I'm saying is people had high expectation based on his stats at a mid major and his stats here playing at a higher level are comparable. I'm going to guess that his style of play hasn't changed radically from last season.

I'm not saying he doesn't make a lot of bad decisions that impede him from being more valuable.

I am saying that if you remove is 10 ppg and almost 5 rebounds from the lineup there isn't anyone off the bench who can provide that.

No disagreement that he needs much improvement to be a highly valuable commodity and approach his ceiling.

That's it.
Understood, we just look at it differently. His stats are a giveth / takeith away wash so I don’t put any value on them, you do. All good…….

I am willing to give Luis a break as the injury was severe in that he missed 10 of the first 11 games and had limited practice. That being said he has played all BE games so his and his 10 and 5 are not bad 20 minutes a game--while not the superstar everyone touted he ain't shabby

I'm not sure pre-season people were saying he'd be our star guy. Dingle was. I think with his disappointing play, Luis walked into a situation where expectations/needs were larger than anyone thought.

I am willing to give Luis a break as the injury was severe in that he missed 10 of the first 11 games and had limited practice. That being said he has played all BE games so his and his 10 and 5 are not bad 20 minutes a game--while not the superstar everyone touted he ain't shabby
I would take 10/5 in BE play (only in 20 mins!!) from a Sophmore every YEAR.... do the mistakes seem magnified with him... a bit- yes... maybe cause we expect more given his potential.

Anyone that doesnt want to see Junior year Luis, without injury, healthy, another summer of Pitino... you should get check out.

Some posters a few weeks back looked at under performing guys like Ledlum and Dingle and attributed it to coming from lower level hoops program.

Well, many also identified Luis as a diamond in rough and future star. Take a look at his stats this year v last. Imo, the acclimation to BE level of play has a lot to do w his struggles. His aversion to consistently defend is another issue, but for now the O stats seem worth looking at.

1000% want him back. These things take time. Oozes with ability despite the up-and-down nature of his season. Look at some of the guys who are going to populate the Big East first or second team this season, and ask where many of those kids were as sophomores.

1000% want him back. These things take time. Oozes with ability despite the up-and-down nature of his season. Look at some of the guys who are going to populate the Big East first or second team this season, and ask where many of those kids were as sophomores.
See what Pitino thinks. He’ll know if return on investment is worth it and how sincere Luis is about buying in. If not, RP has a lot of cash to get a very good player to replace him. All the leverage is on Rick’s side.

Rick is huge on practice hard work and participation. Luis has missed a lot of practice time over his past two seasons of college ball due to injuries. That may also be part of RP’s evaluation of the situation.

Last edited:
Back