RJ Luis

I hope I'm wrong, because they can both be valuable pieces next year. I feel like Taylor has lost his groove since the Providence game where he only played 2 minutes. He seems anxious to shoot and has been fouling a lot relative to his minutes played.

Luis is just plain greedy with the rock. Once he gets the ball he becomes a bull in a china shop trying to score. Which is puzzling to me, I noted back in the October open practice that he was clearly the most talented player on the roster. He was doing everything: passing, rebounding and taking great shots. Seems like he has regressed as a team mate and become more of a "me" guy.
Luis would be a great player if he'd just pass the ball once in a while, if he starts passing in February then I'd love for the kid to stay. if not then I'd say bye bye. Why keep him if he won't pass? Just for someone to walk up behind him, time his dribble, and put a hand in there?

Question: Did anyone warn him to watch his back?

No idea where to put this, but Storr is a stud. I know it’s ridiculous to pine over transfers, but I’ll trade Luis and Taylor for Storr and Jones.
Storr is twice the player anyone we have is. He’s barely getting started too.

I did call this in May as well:

“Storr has all the tools. He’s going to be all conference at Wisconsin. He could be in the league if he gets himself 100% committed to all areas of the game. He’s really, really good.”

Sorry, not being combatitive, just pointing out that there are many ways to get off shots around the hoop and explosive powerful leaping is rarely the diferentiating factor. Deception often is.

When healthy I sense thst Luis is effective with deceptive length that allows him to score in traffic, but he has shown some exceptional flashy moves (the 360 spin off an end to end drive was one, and acdrive to the left baseline where he went up but floated for a spectacular reverse was another) He also has a great nose for the ball, either putting back his own misses, or going across the lane on a late ft miss to rebound and get fouled on the putback).

Basketball is played mostly below the rim is my main point I guess.

But my main main point is that it's hard for me to be critical of a kid clear battling injuries.

You're a great fan. Have a good night
You are correct Beast, 100%, there are many other ways to do it and he has shown flashes, but it has been inconsistent. If you can't consistently get there in other ways then you have to go above them.

You are a great fan as well Beast, and I have nothing but respect for you. Have a great night and I'll see you Saturday.

But he never will because he only takes smart threes when set and unguarded which is why he is shooting 43%. If he was shooting Jenkin's 3's his percentage would be much lower as well, but still likely over 30%
He has nearly identical shooting ability to Jenkins. One shoots anything he wants regardless of the situation and the other only takes very good shots. They are at the extremes when it comes to shot selection.

If they both moved towards the middle we’d be a better team.

Would love to see this. Not doubting anyone. Is there a part of the game you can point to.
There’s a ton of head shaking and eye rolling that is more subtle but a few times they’ve aggressively given the palms to the sky “wtf are you doing” gesture with words to each other.

Wilcher has been more delicate with directing Luis when he’s out of position.

It’s multiple times a game since Luis has returned. If you go back to when Luis had back to back turnovers in Xavier game you should see one occurrence.

It’s clearly bothering Luis.

Criticism is justified but he’s extremely limited in practice with the injuries. Look how long it took for Ledlum and company to get comfortable in Pitino’s offense. Luis had no time at all to adjust.

Criticism is justified but he’s extremely limited in practice with the injuries. Look how long it took for Ledlum and company to get comfortable in Pitino’s offense. Luis had no time at all to adjust.
I get the limited practice time and the need to adjust. It seems that RJ's solution is to either drive headlong to the basket or jack up quick shots often not in the flow of the game. Kids got immense talent but he needs to slow down and adjust to in game circumstances.

I get the limited practice time and the need to adjust. It seems that RJ's solution is to either drive headlong to the basket or jack up quick shots often not in the flow of the game. Kids got immense talent but he needs to slow down and adjust to in game circumstances.
Injuries or not, Rick expects more out of him buying into their approach and game plan at both ends of court. That is good enough for me. Time to dispense with excuses and buy in RJ.

He has nearly identical shooting ability to Jenkins.
Taylor has zero ability to shoot off the dribble. Still true if he chooses not to take them. Which I don’t mind btw. Aren’t the mid range pull ups the shots you like from Jenkins?

Taylor needs to get some minutes as small ball four, he might be able to get to the rim vs slower players and be less of a non factor on that end. If Luis is playing alongside him at other forward we can hold our own on the boards for those stretches.

Limited practice is no excuse to not pass the ball. It's simple if you're double teamed, then someone has to be open, try and find him.

Taylor has zero ability to shoot off the dribble. Still true if he chooses not to take them. Which I don’t mind btw. Aren’t the mid range pull ups the shots you like from Jenkins?

Taylor needs to get some minutes as small ball four, he might be able to get to the rim vs slower players and be less of a non factor on that end. If Luis is playing alongside him at other forward we can hold our own on the boards for those stretches.
Three point shooting was the specific stat I was responding to.

Taylor has a good handle for 6’6…he just doesn’t have any refined moves in the paint. He draws contact at a very good rate but I don’t think he has a plan if the contact isn’t there.

I cant remember a single pull-up attempt by Taylor this year to be honest. I love the Jenkins elbow pul-up. When he gets his feet, knees and elbow lined up, it’s probably a 60% shot and it puts the defense in a very bad spot to rebound a miss. I don’t like when he leans away from contact…a bad habit that comes from having a weaker build.

Taylor and Luis at the 3 and 4 works. Taylor would have to defend the 3 though.

Some history & another example of mid major challenges competing w NILs. Old school Frank Martin commentary is familar

Injuries or not, Rick expects more out of him buying into their approach and game plan at both ends of court. That is good enough for me. Time to dispense with excuses and buy in RJ.
Agree…think he is one of those that RP references when he characterizes as “high school”-like the habit of some players to try to steal the ball back after turning it over instead of immediately getting back on defense

I know many view RJ as a star in the making. Note that yesterday he had all his points in the first half. If he sticks around and Rick finds a true PG in the portal, I hope they utilize him better with screens and curls. He seems most comfortable with catch and shoot game. He can rebound well, so despite my frustration he has a reasonably good skill set offensively. Shot selection and playing smart must improve however.

On defense, I think Rick and staff in off season have to get his buy in and work with him in detail. Will he be a willing student? Jury is out on that, but worth a shot. All this is moot if someone gets in his ear to play somewhere else. If so, I am quite ok w that.

I know many view RJ as a star in the making. Note that yesterday he had all his points in the first half. If he sticks around and Rick finds a true PG in the portal, I hope they utilize him better with screens and curls. He seems most comfortable with catch and shoot game. He can rebound well, so despite my frustration he has a reasonably good skill set offensively. Shot selection and playing smart must improve however.

On defense, I think Rick and staff in off season have to get his buy in and work with him in detail. Will he be a willing student? Jury is out on that, but worth a shot. All this is moot if someone gets in his ear to play somewhere else. If so, I am quite ok w that.
I dont think hes a star in the making at all. Id hope we bring in someone much better then him this offseason.

Back