RJ Luis

1000% want him back. These things take time. Oozes with ability despite the up-and-down nature of his season. Look at some of the guys who are going to populate the Big East first or second team this season, and ask where many of those kids were as sophomores.
I want him back if and only if he buys in to playing team ball as defined by his coach. I expect he and CRP will have a serious talk in that regard in March.

The nice thing with this situation is I'm 100% confident in Pitino's judgment on this. If he doesn't deem the NIL price worth it or his buy-in there, I know we'll figure it out. This isn't a situation with our last two coaches where we may not be able to get this level of talent back.

The nice thing with this situation is I'm 100% confident in Pitino's judgment on this. If he doesn't deem the NIL price worth it or his buy-in there, I know we'll figure it out. This isn't a situation with our last two coaches where we may not be able to get this level of talent back.
If this were the pros, injured a lot and frequently boneheaded play would result in a "show-me" contract, not an NIL raise, but we'll see. He makes a nice chunk of change already.

See what Pitino thinks. He’ll know if return on investment is worth it and how sincere Luis is about buying in. If not, RP has a lot of cash to get a very good player to replace him. All the leverage is on Rick’s side.
Agreed. My ultimate opinion on any of this stuff is to default to Pitino. Because he's Pitino. Not that I can't have opinions or that other prior coaches didn't forget more basketball than I know (they all do), but Pitino is a different thing.

I think we can and will massively upgrade over Luis. If he is playing big minutes for s next year, we are in deep trouble.

I have faith that Rick is bringing in super studs for next year.

I want him back if and only if he buys in to playing team ball as defined by his coach. I expect he and CRP will have a serious talk in that regard in March.
I already have said I have no problem if Pitino thinks he is worth bringing back but the assumption (and I am not at all saying you are saying that, your post was the easiest to reply to) that Luis CAN change his game is a whole other matter.

The first half of the Creighton game was SJU at its best. Someone posted earlier how the ball kept moving. With David Jones last year and Luis this year that don’t happen.
Two talented players who are afraid to give the ball up thinking they won’t get it back.
So they hold the ball for five or six seconds before making a move to the basket forcing up a shot over two defenders.

Staff as everyone knows is already doing portal mining w ample resources. I am sure they know the players they need to re recruit as well. My read is it is doubtful that Luis is in the latter group, but this “stuff” is fluid.

The first half of the Creighton game was SJU at its best. Someone posted earlier how the ball kept moving. With David Jones last year and Luis this year that don’t happen.
Two talented players who are afraid to give the ball up thinking they won’t get it back.
So they hold the ball for five or six seconds before making a move to the basket forcing up a shot over two defenders.
I want him stay as I agree re: his skills…he’ll need to accept that he is part of a team with a common goal and not playing in a skills competition…right now the frustration that RP and his teammates show is due to him constantly hunting his shot - compounded by habit of jogging back on defense.

I want him stay as I agree re: his skills…he’ll need to accept that he is part of a team with a common goal and not playing in a skills competition…right now the frustration that RP and his teammates show is due to him constantly hunting his shot - compounded by habit of jogging back on defense.
Get a better player who embraces defense, responds to coaching and is more durable.

Pitino has said that Luis is a next level talent, and he is clearly our best athlete. Has everyone forgotten his rebound from across the lane on a missed FT to seal the win against Providence?

Yes, he’s been set back by his missed time due to a broken hand and shin splints, and his lack of regular practice time shows, but if we do anything with the rest of this season he will be a big part of it. And he’s a major player for us for next year, no matter who portals. Pitino knows he’s an important piece and still expects him to be an NBA player.

Pitino has said that Luis is a next level talent, and he is clearly our best athlete. Has everyone forgotten his rebound from across the lane on a missed FT to seal the win against Providence?

Yes, he’s been set back by his missed time due to a broken hand and shin splints, and his lack of regular practice time shows, but if we do anything with the rest of this season he will be a big part of it. And he’s a major player for us for next year, no matter who portals. Pitino knows he’s an important piece and still expects him to be an NBA player.
You sure Pitino is of that opinion?

You sure Pitino is of that opinion?
reading RJ’s body language against Creighton he seemed a bit disengaged. Upset over losing starting role? Upset at getting drilled by RP?

I don’t blame the lack of practice time for his play. That’s who he is. It’s habit. He’s never been corrected. His coaches have failed him. Now it’s on him whether he wants to listen and actually take direction. So far it doesn’t seem like he wants to change.

From what you’re saying, seems like the staff has cooled on him. While that sucks, if we can get someone better I’m all for it. I also think GT has higher upside and think he’s worth investing in.

I’ve seen enough. Selfish and bb dumb player. Great athletic ability and agility and capable of making great plays. But is a net negative most nights. He’s free to go.

RJ has only played 18 games here.... coming off a broken hand... and ongoing shin splints- which limits his Practice with the team... The fact he is ABLE to contribute 10/5... as a sophmore, is fairly impressive.

Do we all see the "dumb" mistakes? Yes. Can those mistakes be improved upon, of course.

Not so long ago we had an uber-athletic forward that had a GREAT senior season for us when everything seemed to "click" in Sir Dom.

I am definitely in the Camp: Keep the ultra athletic sophmore who is giving 10/5 coming off injury , while battling continuous pain.

RJ has only played 18 games here.... coming off a broken hand... and ongoing shin splints- which limits his Practice with the team... The fact he is ABLE to contribute 10/5... as a sophmore, is fairly impressive.

Do we all see the "dumb" mistakes? Yes. Can those mistakes be improved upon, of course.

Not so long ago we had an uber-athletic forward that had a GREAT senior season for us when everything seemed to "click" in Sir Dom.

I am definitely in the Camp: Keep the ultra athletic sophmore who is giving 10/5 coming off injury , while battling continuous pain.

Idk the sir som comparison is right. Dom always played within himself. I don’t recall him ever ‘hurting’ the team as RJ does. And Dom was always valued for his D. I can’t with sincerity point to one thing RJ does great that makes the team better….

Back