RJ Luis

Would've been nice if the media asked Pitino questions about Taylor. I am still befuddled by his trajectory this year. Last night, he looked more uncomfortable than any other game all year.
That's after looking fine last week versus Villanova.

Luis, a sophomore, continues to look like a promising freshman, with lack of focus and too much “I’m the guy” in his play. He shows sparks of what he can become if he matures and learns the concept of “team play.” I do not see him returning for next season.

My issues with Luis are similar to others in that he does not pass, but also the way he drives. You have to explode off the floor if you are going to drive into traffic. He does not. If he goes up as if he is trying to dunk he will get more shots off that don't get blocked easily and draw more fouls. Half the time he drives he barely gets off the ground.

BTW, same goes for Ledlum on drives. Get up as high as you can on every shot attempt in the lane.

Respectfully, we need Luis to play and play well if we have any shot to make noise this year. He had a very bad game. Played slow, out of control, not in rhythm, poor shot selection, overaggressive hand swipes on D, missed free throws including a key front end. Was by far his worst game and it came at inopportune time. Rick knows Luis is a key to our season. He’s not ready to park the car.

Opposing teams have figured Luis out and know how to defend him now. When he first returned from injury teams were unsure how much of a shooting threat he was and what his tendencies were. They know now that he's a below average shooter so they sag off him waiting for him to drive and are comfortable sending extra help at him knowing he isn't much of a passer.

Going forward his bread and butter is going to be in transition when he can attack and get to the rim before the defense is set. In the half court him just catching the ball flat footed on the wing and going to work is going to have a low success rate. Need him curling off screens, cutting to the basket, and attacking the offensive glass to get him some good looks.

Luis’ matador D is also a big problem. Some fans got giddy w his flashes of highlight reel stuff. Can appreciate his injury situation and history, but his problem seems above the shoulders and not embracing reasonably structured play as Rick noted yesterday.

Not seeing him here next year would not shock me. He seems stats seeker type with ambitions beyond team success. Hope I am wrong, but sample size seems adequate to theorize.
I read an article about how he left UMass and it wasn’t flattering. Said he was coming back and then just stopped returning calls.

My issues with Luis are similar to others in that he does not pass, but also the way he drives. You have to explode off the floor if you are going to drive into traffic. He does not. If he goes up as if he is trying to dunk he will get more shots off that don't get blocked easily and draw more fouls. Half the time he drives he barely gets off the ground.

BTW, same goes for Ledlum on drives. Get up as high as you can on every shot attempt in the lane.
Curious, did you see Jokic clips of his 73 point game? Ever see Larry Bird take it to hoop? How about Curbelo or even Ponds? When you take the ball to the hoop, all you need to find is daylight. Curbelo had this funky release way before the defender expected it, and snuck in layups. Ponds could slip in without a 40 inch vertical. Earl Monroe couldn't be stopped because defenders had no idea what direction he was headed. If Monroe was exploding to hoop it was becausd he looked like his body was about to blow up.

Here's my advice to Luis. Get well.

When healthy, gonna bet he is the best athlete on the floor and likely our best player.

Luis clearly doesn’t get along with Jenkins and Soriano. Those two graduating might help.

I think Taylor stays with all the minutes leaving.
I want Taylor to be good for us but I don’t get the fascination some have with Taylor.

I want Taylor to be good for us but I don’t get the fascination some have with Taylor.
He looked like Jack of all trades guy, defending, rebounding and modest scoring. As time went on he shot very little and it felt like 5 guys for opponents v 4 for us re scoring threat. Last night he also was way off defensively. At best he is sub level guy, but w Luis providing little, he is called on beyond that.

He looked like Jack of all trades guy, defending, rebounding and modest scoring. As time went on he shot very little and it felt like 5 guys for opponents v 4 for us re scoring threat. Last night he also was way off defensively. At best he is sub level guy, but w Luis providing little, he is called on beyond that.
Expected so much more to the hoop or aggressive play with him based on the amount of free throws he had at Oregon state.

Some unnamed posters on here think he should be shooting instead of Jenkins. 😜

But he never will because he only takes smart threes when set and unguarded which is why he is shooting 43%. If he was shooting Jenkin's 3's his percentage would be much lower as well, but still likely over 30%

Curious, did you see Jokic clips of his 73 point game? Ever see Larry Bird take it to hoop? How about Curbelo or even Ponds? When you take the ball to the hoop, all you need to find is daylight. Curbelo had this funky release way before the defender expected it, and snuck in layups. Ponds could slip in without a 40 inch vertical. Earl Monroe couldn't be stopped because defenders had no idea what direction he was headed. If Monroe was exploding to hoop it was becausd he looked like his body was about to blow up.

Here's my advice to Luis. Get well.

When healthy, gonna bet he is the best athlete on the floor and likely our best player.
Beast, with all do respect, please don't compare Luis to Bird, or Monroe (2 of the best ever) or Jokic at 7' who is coming off an mvp campaign. Ponds and Curbelo did it with blow bys. Luis goes straight into the teeth and then does not elevate. He often gets blocked or stripped because he does not have the handle of Curbelo or Ponds. Please, happy to discuss but your comparisons are a little off base this time. And yes, I know you're going to say you weren't comparing him to them but you were using them as an example and for me that example doesn't fit.

Beast, with all do respect, please don't compare Luis to Bird, or Monroe (2 of the best ever) or Jokic at 7' who is coming off an mvp campaign. Ponds and Curbelo did it with blow bys. Luis goes straight into the teeth and then does not elevate. He often gets blocked or stripped because he does not have the handle of Curbelo or Ponds. Please, happy to discuss but your comparisons are a little off base this time. And yes, I know you're going to say you weren't comparing him to them but you were using them as an example and for me that example doesn't fit.
Sorry, not being combatitive, just pointing out that there are many ways to get off shots around the hoop and explosive powerful leaping is rarely the diferentiating factor. Deception often is.

When healthy I sense thst Luis is effective with deceptive length that allows him to score in traffic, but he has shown some exceptional flashy moves (the 360 spin off an end to end drive was one, and acdrive to the left baseline where he went up but floated for a spectacular reverse was another) He also has a great nose for the ball, either putting back his own misses, or going across the lane on a late ft miss to rebound and get fouled on the putback).

Basketball is played mostly below the rim is my main point I guess.

But my main main point is that it's hard for me to be critical of a kid clear battling injuries.

You're a great fan. Have a good night

Back