RJ Luis

Honestly think this is Rick's way of scaring off suitors looking to outbid us on his NIL next season.

I'm still not sure he's here next season though.
Agree but I’m not sure virtually any team can count on any player year to year anymore, that’s why I think it is only a matter of time before agents/lawyers make there way into this chaos. Or we’re going to have to start viewing with the same mind set as watching pickup games in the playgrounds and parks.
I had an interesting talk a couple if days ago with an old friend who coached very successfully in Jersey, D2 level, for a long time. Not a revelation, but he shared his thought that coaching like Pitino, Jay Wright, may become a thing of the past, that how do you plan on developing a team or a player over the course of years when roster turnover is the norm?
His bigger point relates to your comment on Luis, that many schools are going to have to pay players based on potential, not results, just to try to stay competitive; to keep up with the Jones‘ if you will; there are only so many “sure things“ among players.
He speculated further, that the uniqueness of the NIL, that coaches essentially are spending third party money makes it absolutely inevitable that those “donors” are going to exercise more and more “control” over what coaches traditionally have decided.

His injury history makes me question how much we can count on him

He’s clearly talented but inexperienced when it comes to playing Big East basketball. Pitino is publicly frustrated with the situation and I’m not sure how or when this ends

His injury history makes me question how much we can count on him

He’s clearly talented but inexperienced when it comes to playing Big East basketball. Pitino is publicly frustrated with the situation and I’m not sure how or when this ends
He is similiar to Dingle in regards to anytime these 2 drive to the basket, their head is straight down and they are going to shoot the ball no matter if 4 guys collapse on them. I have no clue how these 2 have gotten this far without being able to dribble with their head up and pass to an open guy if the shot isnt there. Unreal.

He is similiar to Dingle in regards to anytime these 2 drive to the basket, their head is straight down and they are going to shoot the ball no matter if 4 guys collapse on them. I have no clue how these 2 have gotten this far without being able to dribble with their head up and pass to an open guy if the shot isnt there. Unreal.
Luis’ matador D is also a big problem. Some fans got giddy w his flashes of highlight reel stuff. Can appreciate his injury situation and history, but his problem seems above the shoulders and not embracing reasonably structured play as Rick noted yesterday.

Not seeing him here next year would not shock me. He seems stats seeker type with ambitions beyond team success. Hope I am wrong, but sample size seems adequate to theorize.

Luis’ matador D is also a big problem. Some fans got giddy w his flashes of highlight reel stuff. Can appreciate his injury situation and history, but his problem seems above the shoulders and not embracing reasonably structured play as Rick noted yesterday.

Not seeing him here next year would not shock me. He seems stats seeker type with ambitions beyond team success. Hope I am wrong, but sample size seems adequate to theorize.
There was one play in the 2nd half where one dude just literally went right past him. It was bad.

I just hope the shin splints are the cause of this bad play and when healthy, he will be much better.

But driving to the hoop and never passing the ball drives me nuts.

Would be absolutely shocked if Luis and Taylor are here next season.

They already transferred once and they are both undergrads. They can't transfer again unless they get a waiver, which is unlikely. So expect them both to be here.

They already transferred once and they are both undergrads. They can't transfer again unless they get a waiver, which is unlikely. So expect them both to be here.
Wouldn’t expect that to stick with all the mid season stuff this year

Luis is obviously talented and has gone through a lot of ups and downs this year. If anyone can harness and develop him, CRP can. Let's give CRP a chance with a hopefully more practice time and perhaps being a focal point on offense. Geez, it is far too early to write him off IMHO.

Last edited:
I hope I'm wrong, because they can both be valuable pieces next year. I feel like Taylor has lost his groove since the Providence game where he only played 2 minutes. He seems anxious to shoot and has been fouling a lot relative to his minutes played.

Luis is just plain greedy with the rock. Once he gets the ball he becomes a bull in a china shop trying to score. Which is puzzling to me, I noted back in the October open practice that he was clearly the most talented player on the roster. He was doing everything: passing, rebounding and taking great shots. Seems like he has regressed as a team mate and become more of a "me" guy.

Players are allowed to freely transfer as many times as they want now unless something changes

Would've been nice if the media asked Pitino questions about Taylor. I am still befuddled by his trajectory this year. Last night, he looked more uncomfortable than any other game all year.

Back