RJ Luis

The most important part of RJ’s situation imo is ability physically to be on the court and practice regularly. NBA guys I am sure have already noted his lack of durability for past two seasons, so this season is a critical one for the program and his future. Not a physical therapist and defer to Alumni Hall on what kind of preparatory physical work he can do to maximize his chances for a relatively healthy season, considering chronic nature of his shin splints and associated vulnerabilities.

I’m worried about him letting his teammates get up shots😉
That is my only problem with his game is him not really passing the ball that much. Fun player to watch and a healthy year under Rick I'm all for it. I know he is no cuerbelo but still lol

That is my only problem with his game is him not really passing the ball that much. Fun player to watch and a healthy year under Rick I'm all for it. I know he is no cuerbelo but still lol
Considering the way the rest of this teams looks at present, I might want him taking as many shots as possible next year.

Just my observations of Luis.
Played good defense on the perimeter. Probably because of two points possible on a steal.
Good offense rebounder, again the two point reason.
Poor defense around the rim because he didn’t want to pick up fouls.

Just my observations of Luis.
Played good defense on the perimeter. Probably because of two points possible on a steal.
Good offense rebounder, again the two point reason.
Poor defense around the rim because he didn’t want to pick up fouls.
Can you be anymore cynical? 🤪

Actually that’s exactly what you should want. A stretch 4 that can take the 4 guarding him off the dribble.
You want this kid driving over Luis against a 4? C’mon man.

You bring him in to space the floor from the 4 and 5 spots by adding back any shooting you may lose with Smith and Richmond on the floor together. Sell on those points.

See that is the thing that is puzzling to me. Listen we have been so bad for sooooo long that I get having the ultimate blind faith in one of the best college coaches ever. And the last 2 days have been great as far as bringing in talent.

But the roster construction does not seem to be a fit. I get that we are ST John’s and can’t afford to turn down top talent. But having seen 2 of the 3 play often Kadary, Luis and Smith just seem mismatched. Again if grab someone that consistently has knocked down threes at this level and I would feel a lot better.

And yes Pitino knows more than me but if hired a contractor to build your house and didn’t put on a roof, wouldn’t you question that?
Luis is mismatched with everyone man. I love the kid's potential...it's wild at times even...but he was a terrible teammate last year. He ruined my favorite lineup of Dingle, Alleyne, Taylor, and Zuby. He's really going to have to step up his awareness this season, because there is nothing more toxic to a team that making 4 guys stand around and wait for you to go one-on-one for 15 seconds hoping for a last second pass.

Luis is mismatched with everyone man. I love the kid's potential...it's wild at times even...but he was a terrible teammate last year. He ruined my favorite lineup of Dingle, Alleyne, Taylor, and Zuby. He's really going to have to step up his awareness this season, because there is nothing more toxic to a team that making 4 guys stand around and wait for you to go one-on-one for 15 seconds hoping for a last second pass.
The last 4-5 games I thought the light went on for him at both ends of the floor. He actually had quite a few dimes those last couple of games ( I know this because I distinctly remember screaming at my TV "WHY CAN'T YOU DO THAT MORE OFTEN??!! when it happened).

Hopefully he's not a goldfish who has to re-learn those lessons multiple times this season. I'm in "prove it" mode with him until shown otherwise, but if he can build off those last 5 games we can be dangerous.

Nice to see the Luis bashing has started 5 months before practice even starts. 🤪🤣

Did you miss the multiple "dafuq you doing?" on-court conversations between Daniss/Joel and RJ last year?

They were as frustrated with him as we were.
But are they bashing him on May 8 or don’t you know what day it is?

Nice to see the Luis bashing has started 5 months before practice even starts. 🤪🤣
One of his biggest fans actually and was called out for not being tougher on him when he did the same things Jenkins did.

I think it’s fair to say he was a pretty poor teammate last year. He was also just a soph. We don’t have to like or dislike every aspect of a player’s game — especially as a soph that missed time.

IMG_3571.jpeg

One of his biggest fans actually and was called out for not being tougher on him when he did the same things Jenkins did.

I think it’s fair to say he was a pretty poor teammate last year. He was also just a soph. We don’t have to like or dislike every aspect of a player’s game — especially as a soph that missed time.

View attachment 2840
Luis has a ton of potential like Pitino said, has an NBA future if he plays his cards right. The way he moves at his size is impressive.

Luis has a ton of potential like Pitino said, has an NBA future if he plays his cards right. The way he moves at his size is impressive.
I agree. It’s also fair to criticize some aspects of his game even if we feel that way. His body language was awful last year and he played too much for himself.

There was zero doubt he was the most talented player on the court for us by a wide margin.

Back