RJ Luis

google says it take 3-6 months to heal. i'm assuming they'll take it easy on him. so wouldn't expect aggressive summer workouts for him.
Thats really not a good sign. I have never heard of anyone needing surgery for shin splints.

Surgery does not guarantee 100% recovery, and is only performed in extreme cases where non-surgical options have been tried for at least a year

Thats really not a good sign. I have never heard of anyone needing surgery for shin splints.

Surgery does not guarantee 100% recovery, and is only performed in extreme cases where non-surgical options have been tried for at least a year
I had never heard of such surgery until mentioned on this Board last week. My daughter, who played soccer and basketball in high school, suffered with them beginning the summer between her freshmen and sophomore year in HS and basically was on a similar path like Luis until midway through the basketball season. It did get better and rarely bother her after that year on through club soccer in College.

I don't like hearing the six-month time period either. Hoping for a successful procedure and speedy recovery.

I will just add a little to this working in the field.

There are a couple different procedures for shin splints and success rates are pretty high overall. But he will be returning to the activities that have caused his issues all along so who knows about reoccurrence etc. If he does get reoccurrence then hopefully the level of his shin splints issues will be much better as far as working through it.

Also a lot depends on if surgeon will do open procedure or arthroscopically done. Less invasive is the faster recovery and less risk for infection etc.

So all that said I wouldn’t overall be too concerned about this procedure and would expect him to heel up rather well barring any setbacks with the surgery. Perfect time for him to be doing this. Plenty of time to heel up.

I will just add a little to this working in the field.

There are a couple different procedures for shin splints and success rates are pretty high overall. But he will be returning to the activities that have caused his issues all along so who knows about reoccurrence etc. If he does get reoccurrence then hopefully the level of his shin splints issues will be much better as far as working through it.

Also a lot depends on if surgeon will do open procedure or arthroscopically done. Less invasive is the faster recovery and less risk for infection etc.

So all that said I wouldn’t overall be too concerned about this procedure and would expect him to heel up rather well barring any setbacks with the surgery. Perfect time for him to be doing this. Plenty of time to heel up.
Insightful feedback. Thank you, Eric.

Having had minor kmee surgery and my wife a knee replacement, i have a little experience with orthopedic surgery.

First, the considerations for an athlete are way different than for the average person. I tore a meniscus running and once repaired the PA Surgical assistant told me he doesn't run anymore because of the impact on knees. He suggested lower impact like an elliptical. He was about 27. An athlete wouldn't have that choice - he would have to return to the activity that caused or stressed the injury.

Any orthopedic surgeon will leave the choice of surgery to the patient. The most common advice is "You'll know when the pain or disability is too great and you want surgery."

I haven't heard that we are close to Luis considering surgery. A PT could tell if any therapy will strengthen the related muscles surrounding the injury to diminish discomfort or pain in the area. I would imagine that all non surgical treatment (including rest) would be exhausted before considering surgery.

As much as we would hate to hear it, if he had to sit out a year but it would give him a brighter basketball future, he shouldn't hesitate to do it. There is basketball beyond st. Johns.

Back