RJ Luis

Loved his 1st 30 minutes. The last 10 minutes he reverted back to hero ball.

If Pitino can snuff that out of him and he can take good shots and pass the ball when a good look isnt there, he can be useful.

Lets see if he can string a full 40 together of smart, under control play these last few games and re-evaluate.

Maybe he will lay an egg against Depaul and Georgetown, but last night showed us what he can offer us as he gets more comfortable, smarter with the ball, and more under control defensively.

Unlike the NBA, none of these NIL contracts are transparent. It's sort of impossible to do the cost-benefit analysis on this. But I trust CRP and the staff to make the right call.
The only absolute is that the more NIL money we have to spend, the more is available to shop the high end of market.

In college it was good enough to be emotionally invested in teams. Now it requires financial investment to acquire talent. Without a doubt without that financial investment, we'd be in the hole DePaul is in.

Thank God there is no transparency. Imagine how fans would crucify a kid with a great NIL deal who isn't panning out?

Loved his 1st 30 minutes. The last 10 minutes he reverted back to hero ball.

If Pitino can snuff that out of him and he can take good shots and pass the ball when a good look isnt there, he can be useful.

Lets see if he can string a full 40 together of smart, under control play these last few games and re-evaluate.
Quite frankly calling it hero ball is ridiculous when you are up 20. Pitino instructed his kids - all of them - to keep pushing the ball, keep attacking, keep shooting when you are open. Hero ball is trying to win a game by yourself.

Luis was less selective and threw Up a lot if shots the last part of the game, but calling it hero ball is nonsense. To me, your definition of hero ball is the ball not going in.

Quite frankly calling it hero ball is ridiculous when you are up 20. Pitino instructed his kids - all of them - to keep pushing the ball, keep attacking, keep shooting when you are open. Hero ball is trying to win a game by yourself.

Luis was less selective and threw Up a lot if shots the last part of the game, but calling it hero ball is nonsense. To me, your definition of hero ball is the ball not going in.
Hero ball is ignoring open guys, ignoring the offense that should be run and chucking up shots when they are not there. It is playing non team basketball.

Hero ball is ignoring open guys, ignoring the offense that should be run and chucking up shots when they are not there. It is playing non team basketball.
He did completely ignore a hustling Zuby on break last night before Zuby saved him and dunked his miss.

Should always reward the big running the floor, especially a great teammate like Zuby.

Luis is a talent, but their is still too much selfish play in his game.

If he comes back next year, he will need to buy into team ball. I think CRP already knows that answer by his actions this year.

Is a reined in Luis part of the solution next year? I would love that, but my gut and some whispers say no.

He did completely ignore a hustling Zuby on break last night before Zuby saved him and dunked his miss.

Should always reward the big running the floor, especially a great teammate like Zuby.

Luis is a talent, but their is still too much selfish play in his game.

If he comes back next year, he will need to buy into team ball. I think CRP already knows that answer by his actions this year.

Is a reined in Luis part of the solution next year? I would love that, but my gut and some whispers say no.
I think if you watch that play, zuby was in on starting the break with a turnover, but was a trailer. Zuby did a great job being the 2nd guy for us down court and he busted it to get there. I dont think he was ever ahead or parallel to Luis. Cpuld be wrong but in any case great hustle by zuby trailing the play.

I think if you watch that play, zuby was in on starting the break with a turnover, but was a trailer. Zuby did a great job being the 2nd guy for us down court and he busted it to get there. I dont think he was ever ahead or parallel to Luis. Cpuld be wrong but in any case great hustle by zuby trailing the play.
No problem with RJ taking it to the basket on that play. He’s going up court against a smaller back pedaling defender. Knowing Zuby is there to clean up potentially any miss, and with a good chance of converting the basket or getting to the line (or both). A pass or alley oop (which is what I thought he might do) was probably the riskiest play of the bunch. I thought that was textbook from both kids on how to approach that play.

I have a feeling that RJ will be a goner next year, although I prefer for him to stay. A little change in attitude and outlook goes very far, especially when you have good physical skills. Just look at Dingle and Taylor. Their basketball abilities have not change over the last few games, but their mindset has obviously changed. They are now playing with more confidence and aggression. The problem with RJ might be that he has too much confidence in his game - he looks in the mirror and sees Michael Jordan!

Ok. That's your definition of hero ball, so the way you understand hero ball it sort of applies.

Luis plays faster than everyone else and his choices suffer. Kids sometimes call what he did when the game was out of reach "getting mine". Dingle has done that this season at times, trying to pad his stats in garbage time. I think Luis was just trying to do what Rick instructed his players - don't let up, don't slow down, and don't watch the scoreboard. Guaranteed if he made 4 or 5 of those shots noone would be complaining.

Luis' second half was not a revelation. He is a superior talent. He has such deceptive length at his height that he can block shots, make steals, and extend for layups disproportionate to his height.

Yes he will make mistakes but more than anyone on this squad can get to the glass quickly and put back his own miss.

If he refines his game to cut down on turnovers and forced shots, watch out. Then he's dominant.

If the NCAA and Congress weren't complete asses and 1 transfer was allowed RJ would have nowhere to really go besides pro. But now since there are no rules whatever happens happens. I used to love recruiting. Now I'm just an old man yelling to get off my lawn.

Luis is playing much more under control the last few games. It aint perfect, but a big improvement. We need this to continue in the post season.

If the NCAA and Congress weren't complete asses and 1 transfer was allowed RJ would have nowhere to really go besides pro. But now since there are no rules whatever happens happens. I used to love recruiting. Now I'm just an old man yelling to get off my lawn.
Exactly!

Back