RJ Luis

Having had minor kmee surgery and my wife a knee replacement, i have a little experience with orthopedic surgery.

First, the considerations for an athlete are way different than for the average person. I tore a meniscus running and once repaired the PA Surgical assistant told me he doesn't run anymore because of the impact on knees. He suggested lower impact like an elliptical. He was about 27. An athlete wouldn't have that choice - he would have to return to the activity that caused or stressed the injury.

Any orthopedic surgeon will leave the choice of surgery to the patient. The most common advice is "You'll know when the pain or disability is too great and you want surgery."

I haven't heard that we are close to Luis considering surgery. A PT could tell if any therapy will strengthen the related muscles surrounding the injury to diminish discomfort or pain in the area. I would imagine that all non surgical treatment (including rest) would be exhausted before considering surgery.

As much as we would hate to hear it, if he had to sit out a year but it would give him a brighter basketball future, he shouldn't hesitate to do it. There is basketball beyond st. Johns.
Beast I’m sure this guy gets a ton of conservative treatment for years on it. I’m sure alumni hall can attest to that as a trainer and what he has available to him on a daily basis.

If they are doing surgery and it sounds like it after todays info then I would think the medical staff is telling him the odds of success at this point for him having surgery outweigh the conservative seeing that he still sounds like he has issues.

Beast I’m sure this guy gets a ton of conservative treatment for years on it. I’m sure alumni hall can attest to that as a trainer and what he has available to him on a daily basis.

If they are doing surgery and it sounds like it after todays info then I would think the medical staff is telling him the odds of success at this point for him having surgery outweigh the conservative seeing that he still sounds like he has issues.
Yield to your expertise. Thanks, Eric!

Any concern of him dropping to portal? I see lot of similarities in style with Scott—not to say Luis is one of them, but kids and/or advisors see competition and immediately want to look elsewhere.

There is significant overlap on defense but not much on offense.

The two of them together provide some insurance for the center position after likely missing out on Cliff. Those two and another forward (Mitchell?) could be a decent smaller lineup in a pinch or against smaller teams.

I think RJ knows his road to the NBA includes becoming a threat from three. I believe last year's numbers were an anomaly. He shot 35% his first year with UMASS and I expect he'll be working on that all summer and get his % back to his freshman year number.

I think RJ knows his road to the NBA includes becoming a threat from three. I believe last year's numbers were an anomaly. He shot 35% his first year with UMASS and I expect he'll be working on that all summer and get his % back to his freshman year number.

100 percent agree but the ultimate question remains his health. When will he be cleared to shoot? Needs to be getting up LOTS of shots.

He can shoot. He will be an above average three point shooter as a pro…wherever that is. It’s just slow as can be.

Back