NIL’s

Obviously changes are going to come to the system in one way or another but it sounds like no matter what the bulk of NIL money is going to continue to be raised through major donors. My question is what happens when donors' money is going towards a guy that gets hurt in November and misses the rest of the season? Or when millions of dollars are being donated and the team goes 12-20 in back to back seasons?

Wouldn't be surprised if incentive based NIL deals become adopted sooner rather than later. $200K base, another $200K for making the tournament, another $200K for making the sweet 16, another $200K for final 4 etc. Especially with the recent tweet about how donors want the power to approve transfers, this type of system should protect the donors' interests while the coaches don't have to consider their input when building the roster they want to build. Interested to see who and when this happens, feels inevitable.

Obviously changes are going to come to the system in one way or another but it sounds like no matter what the bulk of NIL money is going to continue to be raised through major donors. My question is what happens when donors' money is going towards a guy that gets hurt in November and misses the rest of the season? Or when millions of dollars are being donated and the team goes 12-20 in back to back seasons?

Wouldn't be surprised if incentive based NIL deals become adopted sooner rather than later. $200K base, another $200K for making the tournament, another $200K for making the sweet 16, another $200K for final 4 etc. Especially with the recent tweet about how donors want the power to approve transfers, this type of system should protect the donors' interests while the coaches don't have to consider their input when building the roster they want to build. Interested to see who and when this happens, feels inevitable.
I wouldn’t be surprised if you see tenfold what is starting to happen now, my money, my decision.

Except that NIL operates under the guise that players are not paid to play. On one hand it keeps kids in school longer on the other hand, it might be a new school every year or so.

These NIL collectives need to put their offers in writing...so its not just word of mouth from agent/player to other school

interesting article on NIL in this past Sunday's NY Times "Sunday Business" section. It focused on SMU and it climb back to big time FB after the death penalty in the 1990's. Eric Dickerson recalled the good old days of driving his Trans Am that was a gift from Texas A&M but he went to Dallas and SMU who also had given him a car; the infamous "$100 dollar handshakes from Boosters. It discusses the way back for them with a new president and how he "rebuilt" the school thanks to them big alumni. They reached the pinnacle so far for them when they were accepted into ACC which the bought into by offering to waive their portion of ESPN fees for 9 years (estimated to be $30MM per year) that could be divvied up among the other scools. No worries, the president raised $100MM from 30 alumni within 7 days of signing to join ACC.

Don't know how to attached article but if you want to read check out Sunday's Times.

It also causes a lot of ancillary issues like creating false narratives, false NIL baselines
How does a random guy spewing out stuff on Twitter create a "false NIL baseline?" The only baseline that counts are actual offers. If SJU is pursuing Cliff O and his agent says "Kentucky offered us $900k", then the SJU team is going to demand to see that offer in writing and will then verify it. They are not going to rely on some anonymous dude on Twitter or the musings of a fan message board.

..., then the SJU team is going to demand to see that offer in writing and will then verify it....
Have you ever leveraged a higher competing offer at your current job?

There is no obligation to provide "proof" of the "competing offer".... you just have to be ready for your current job to stand up, shake your hand, and wish you luck on the way out...

As with us and Cliff... I ASSUME... given the prior relationship with Matt, there is probably a level a respect that his camp might*** be honest with him regarding competing offers.... but it is on St John's to call a player's "bluff"

Have you ever leveraged a higher competing offer at your current job?

There is no obligation to provide "proof" of the "competing offer".... you just have to be ready for your current job to stand up, shake your hand, and wish you luck on the way out...

As with us and Cliff... I ASSUME... given the prior relationship with Matt, there is probably a level a respect that his camp might*** be honest with him regarding competing offers.... but it is on St John's to call a player's "bluff"
I realize there is no "obligation" to provide proof of a competing offer. I am simply assuming that SJU will demand it before paying $900k (or $700k or $500k, whatever). These are 20 year old college players, lots of fish in that pond.

I realize there is no "obligation" to provide proof of a competing offer. I am simply assuming that SJU will demand it before paying $900k (or $700k or $500k, whatever). These are 20 year old college players, lots of fish in that pond.
SJU not paying a $.01.

More about who from the NIL's are involved and what they might expect. Matt / Rick in the middle.

How does a random guy spewing out stuff on Twitter create a "false NIL baseline?" The only baseline that counts are actual offers. If SJU is pursuing Cliff O and his agent says "Kentucky offered us $900k", then the SJU team is going to demand to see that offer in writing and will then verify it. They are not going to rely on some anonymous dude on Twitter or the musings of a fan message board.
If you don't think there's hundreds of staffers who use the information on twitter, Trilly Donovan's discord and all the numbers that he is reporting in there and what it takes to "get in the door" with a recruit as leverage in meetings you're mistaken. I can tell you for fact that the numbers recently mentioned with AJ Storr, Cliff Omoruyi and Amari Williams are 100% inaccurate. Yet they get treated as gospel, high school coaches see it, these kids see it and think it's fair market value etc etc etc - it's very dangerous.

You'd be shocked how many staff members are seeing this info and having to flesh it out

If you don't think there's hundreds of staffers who use the information on twitter, Trilly Donovan's discord and all the numbers that he is reporting in there and what it takes to "get in the door" with a recruit as leverage in meetings you're mistaken. I can tell you for fact that the numbers recently mentioned with AJ Storr, Cliff Omoruyi and Amari Williams are 100% inaccurate. Yet they get treated as gospel, high school coaches see it, these kids see it and think it's fair market value etc etc etc - it's very dangerous.

You'd be shocked how many staff members are seeing this info and having to flesh it out
Trilly is a lot of fun, but rest assured he is wired to agents, a lot of coaches and can be part of problem re communicating inflated NIL numbers on net.

Trilly is a lot of fun, but rest assured he is wired to agents, a lot of coaches and can be part of problem re communicating inflated NIL numbers on net.
Yes he is. The issue isn't that Trilly is wrong, it's that he's being used to disseminate the info because of his reach and his stellar reputation so it becomes "of course this is right it came from Trilly". It's not his fault they are feeding him potential BS for others to see. It's all a game

Last edited:
Yes he is. The issue isn't that Trilly is wrong, it's that he's being used to disseminate the info because of his reach and his stellar reputation so it become "of course this is right it came from Trilly". It's not his fault they are feeding him potential BS for others to see. It's all a game
Believe me, he is smart and experienced enough to know the terrain and bullshit that comes along with it. No sense belaboring this & obviously I know the nature and abundance of snakes in the equation.

143 pages, 0 commits lol

This whole thing has gotten so ridiculous. Kids and their handlers just sitting on offers, waiting to see if schools come in with more money. About to just disconnect from it all until we have a full roster

Back