NIL’s

143 pages, 0 commits lol

This whole thing has gotten so ridiculous. Kids and their handlers just sitting on offers, waiting to see if schools come in with more money. About to just disconnect from it all until we have a full roster
Hey, at least this isn't college football where they have two transfer portals per season.

Hey, at least this isn't college football where they have two transfer portals per season.
Yea, I just feel like this offseason, the way everything is set up, it can't happen again. Changes need to be made.

If these guys are professionals now, we should implement a system like the pros, where offers made to players are made public. I'd be down for a salary cap as well. Right now, there is no structure or checks and balances to any of this. It is a farce

Yea, I just feel like this offseason, the way everything is set up, it can't happen again. Changes need to be made.

If these guys are professionals now, we should implement a system like the pros, where offers made to players are made public. I'd be down for a salary cap as well. Right now, there is no structure or checks and balances to any of this. It is a farce
I’ve really yet to see how a salary cap would work in college. And I’m not arguing with you that stuff has to change.

What and how, would UNC, Kentucky, etc have to gain by a salary cap? And if they do oblige to it, how can schools like Richmond afford the same one? If a hard cap is put on schools it will just go back to before where under table deals get the job done.

Definitely agree with implementing a system like the pros, especially public & enforceable contracts + multi-year deals coming out of HS.

I just think all of this recruitment stuff still reminds me a lot of the stuff back in the day. Even on this very board when we think we'd have someone, like Briscoe or Anderson, you'd get the inevitable Paultz post saying "Kentucky/UCLA came in last minute with an offer...." People don't like it, but I am happy at least this stuff is out in the open & we can play on that playing field.

I have no problem with some of these transfers taking their time and making a decision. It is similar to a high school player deciding the same and not committing during the early signing period. If they really have no preference, and schools are willing to throw money at them, then why not sit back and wait to see what offers come your way? Parents do this all the time when kids get accepted into colleges and they and their kids wait to see how much each school cost and how much the school is willing to give in aid, negotiate and possibly shop offers, before making an informed decision.

Think of it as job interviews. You have a bunch of companies who like your resume and job experience who all want you. You are going on interviews and weighing the job offers. Of course the money is higher here but the concept is similar.

While I had thought we would have a commitment by now, I am actually more disappointed in the names that we are linked with. I was led to believe and expected better (with the exception of Cliff). I am more than willing and patient to let this thing play out but I am less than enthused about the prospects.

It is a farce but as I have posted before, the NCAA and the schools are sitting back, counting their money, fat, not so dumb and happy because NONE of the NIL $ is coming out of their pockets. There are no rules because there is no revenue sharing. Kind of why I and others have rejected the idea fans should be paying for NIL, that is part of the farce you correctly call this.

I’ve really yet to see how a salary cap would work in college. And I’m not arguing with you that stuff has to change.

What and how, would UNC, Kentucky, etc have to gain by a salary cap? And if they do oblige to it, how can schools like Richmond afford the same one? If a hard cap is put on schools it will just go back to before where under table deals get the job done.
It is a tricky proposition for sure, I definitely do not have the answers yet. Maybe it could be a thing where salary caps vary by league based on the median NIL $ in a given conference. But that is extremely tough to pull off for numerous reasons.

It just feels like we are in this in between stage where college is being run like the pros, with none of the rules. It is a free for all

It is a tricky proposition for sure, I definitely do not have the answers yet. Maybe it could be a thing where salary caps vary by league based on the median NIL $ in a given conference. But that is extremely tough to pull off for numerous reasons.

It just feels like we are in this in between stage where college is being run like the pros, with none of the rules. It is a free for all
That would be the official death of mid major and probably big East basketball I fear.

With the culture of college athletics, I think a salary cap will only breed even more bad actors.

But I do think something that would actually make a huge difference is, similar to all the pro sports leagues, are allowing players to only be represented by vetted/verified/trained sports agents.

They also need to limit it to one transfer per player otherwise there will never be a way to build a consistent team from year to year. You bring in a kid on transfer develop him into a better player and he simply looks to leave again after the year for a bigger pay day.

If salary caps are league based, then expect a lot of hand wringing here because SJU will look like Fred Wilpon shopping in free agency.

Even if there was a salary cap (i.e., salary paid by the school directly), I don't think they could limit NIL deals. Maybe it works better because only the top top kids would also get NIL deals when everyone is getting paid, but I'm not sure it's a silver bullet here. (And given NCAA's enforcement record, I don't think they could limit NIL to only "legitimate" endorsements or anything like that.) Maybe part of the salary deal is you have to sign your NIL over to the school for 2 years or something like that, but this all seems unlikely to happen.

Where are offers in the pro's made public? This is like the pros, you just don't like it and most people don't because college sports were different. Well that has changed and there is no going back...

NIL is insane. I figured it would turn into a bidding war free agency like many others…and it has. Just not sure how we keep up with these huge football schools every portal season. Guys like Cliff who are good not great players are getting $1M+. This is not sustainable. I saw someone saying a player averaging 5 PPG was demanding $500k. It’s absurd. Who could’ve seen this coming? 🤔

Hate to say it but if we want to be top 3 Big East, ranked & make NCAAT without sweating we will need minimum of 1 of guys like Cliff, Brea, Bamba, etc. We need a top proven transfer badly.

Also, I wonder if some of the players large NIL demands come down following a few commitments reducing the NIL pool that schools have in place.

To me it would be similar to free agency in a sense where players get nervous as more options decrease.
I’ve said it before, I think it might be the opposite. It’s the schools who will get nervous and up their price.

Back