More NIL to contend with

Don’t recall if I’ve already posted about this but I have heard that the brothers that own Walmart are Arkansas grads and are providing NIL in the millions of dollars (can’t remember if the number I heard was 3 or 30 million).
Arkansas basketball has 3 projected 1st round picks in the 2023 NBA draft. Arkansas has already signed two 5* players in the '23 class. Recruiting has been off the charts, Walmart NIL$$ at work.

Arkansas basketball has 3 projected 1st round picks in the 2023 NBA draft. Arkansas has already signed two 5* players in the '23 class. Recruiting has been off the charts, Walmart NIL$$ at work.
Probably was 30 million.

I was told today by the CEO of an NIL for an ACC school that each player on University of Rhode Island men's team receives $50K

I thought interesting comment from TV announcers after the Bama/Auburn game regarding Bama's QB and star LB--one said they could be playng their last game at home, and the other said it might depend on the NIL deal compared to the pro deal. Pro teams might have to sweeten deals to sign players early.
Bryce Young, Bama’s QB has NIL deals ( including Nissan and Dr. Pepper) approximately totaling $3.2M. He will be the first or second QB picked in the NFL this year possibly in the drafts top 3 but definitely within the first 10 picks. Garrett Wilson of the Jets was this years tenth pick and his rookie deal (4 years) is roughly $20.5M guaranteed which includes a signing bonus.

How are these numbers arrived? Do all athletes get the same $, or are amounts determined individually?

How are these numbers arrived? Do all athletes get the same $, or are amounts determined individually?
Both. Some NIL deals are doled out evenly but each athlete is free to make his own individual NIL deals.

How are these numbers arrived? Do all athletes get the same $, or are amounts determined in
The amount of money a player is paid is determined by the free market.

The N$L determines whether to pay all players the same sum (ie. SMU’s N$L pays each mens basketball player $36K per year) versus one of the UMiami basketball N$Ls paid a transfer in $800K which was not paid to all other players.

Many schools have more than one N$L supporting its athletics.

Unfortunately the NCAA has issued few bright-line rules which some believe has in effect legitimized the form underhanded payments which were made in violation of NCAA rules.

Just passing along something I heard from someone with his ear to the ground in the basketball world and that is St. John’s Wall Street alums are putting together NIL deals to help us be competitive in the recruiting game. He also stated don’t be so sure we are losing a certain recruit we are all concerned about.
Bama (or anyone else on the board). . Has there been any other news re: this Wall Street group and their efforts to put together NIL deals?

What I still don't understand about NIL is, I thought it was meant to create opportunities for kids to get paid for the use of their name and image in things like advertisements and video games. Instead, it just seems like kids are being handed paychecks under the guise of NIL and don't actually have to do anything.

What I still don't understand about NIL is, I thought it was meant to create opportunities for kids to get paid for the use of their name and image in things like advertisements and video games. Instead, it just seems like kids are being handed paychecks under the guise of NIL and don't actually have to do anything.
That's just what the NCAA wants the masses to believe.

How else could it possibly have gone?

……it just seems like kids are being handed paychecks under the guise of NIL and don't actually have to do anything.
I would say that is pretty much true.

Don’t blame the student athletes or the N$L organizer; blame the feckless NCAA that has failed to promulgate bright line rules.

The N$L entity with which I am most familiar (not StJohn’s) is a 501(c)(3) which solicits tax deductible contributions from fans. The proceeds are used to benefit community not for profits organizations by paying the student athletes to perform services (ie. basketball players providing a clinic at a local YMCA, speak to high school students about staying in school, etc.).

The scant N$L regulations thus far issued by the NCAA requires that the athlete perform a service of some kind but does not require that there be a reasonable relationship between the amount of the payment to the service performed by the athlete which therefore allows a UKentucky auto dealer to give a player a Lexus automobile for appearing in a print of TV advertisement. It allows UCLA’s N$L to pay each player on the UCLA roster $100k each year little or no work.

Like it or not, N$L is here to stay and IMO StJohn’s is fortunate that AD Mike Cragg is here. I shutter to think what would have happened if N$L popped up when StJohn’s had an inexperienced athletic director.

St. John’s N$L, like the N$Ls for most other schools allows the every day fan to make a monthly contribution of $9.99.

I am new to learning and studying on this NIL, thing, but big picture, is it a violation if let's say Pepsi Cola gives an endorsement deal to a SJU player and it is contingent on them to commit/play for the school? Sorry if this dumb question has been asked but I am not in the know.

I am new to learning and studying on this NIL, thing, but big picture, is it a violation if let's say Pepsi Cola gives an endorsement deal to a SJU player and it is contingent on them to commit/play for the school? Sorry if this dumb question has been asked but I am not in the know.

I believe that's exactly what's happening at Arkansas, which was discussed earlier in this thread. Wal-mart founders are giving out money to kids who promise to go there.

Back