More NIL to contend with

Here is a site that list top NIL athletes and schools based on "a proprietary algorithm, the On3 NIL Valuation establishes the overall NIL market and projected 12-month growth rate by measuring two categories, Brand Value Index and Roster Value Index."

Interesting in regards to females. Was looking for Paige's team mate who is a soph and considered 1 of the top 3 woman's players. Didn't see her. Notice LSU have two ladies in the top 100 and 1 is a freshmen. Another is a HS Sr. and committed to Florida.

One of the problems is that the market is so new that we don't have any idea what the fair market value is for a top high school QB recruit going to a top program. Is it $3M, $13M, $30M?

In something like baseball free agency, most prognosticators have a good sense what kind of contract top free agents are going to get in the offseason based on their performance, the state of the industry, but most importantly what other similar players have gotten in the past.

That data doesn't yet exist for NILs. You need time to build that. That's one of the reasons why it seems like the wild west out there.

How about HS QB Jaden Rashada asking out of his signed letter of intent from Florida because his 13 million dollar NIL deal terms were not lived up to prior to his enrollment. Imagine before even playing a down at the collegiate level promising a kid 13 mill when you don’t even know how good he will be. NIL was supposed to enable a player to cash in on his game and fame not as an inducement to attend a school. Schools want fans and alum to contribute money to make 18 year old HS kids filthy rich millionaires? I don’t think so!

How about HS QB Jaden Rashada asking out of his signed letter of intent from Florida because his 13 million dollar NIL deal terms were not lived up to prior to his enrollment. Imagine before even playing a down at the collegiate level promising a kid 13 mill when you don’t even know how good he will be. NIL was supposed to enable a player to cash in on his game and fame not as an inducement to attend a school. Schools want fans and alum to contribute money to make 18 year old HS kids filthy rich millionaires? I don’t think so!

What's the difference between the Mets, Yankees, etc offering a huge signing bonus to a 16-, 17-, 18-year-old Latin American kid to induce them to join their club when they don't really know how good he'll be?

I don't think there's anything wrong with a high school football player in that same position making money off his potential.

The Jets paid a whole lot more money to Zach Wilson and look how that turned out.

What's the difference between the Mets, Yankees, etc offering a huge signing bonus to a 16-, 17-, 18-year-old Latin American kid to induce them to join their club when they don't really know how good he'll be?

I don't think there's anything wrong with a high school football player in that same position making money off his potential.
The football player is attending and playing for a college. He is retaining his amateur status and getting a free education. The Latin American kid once he graduates from High School is considered a professional under the control of the major league club. He is playing baseball and is normally not attending college. If he is attending college it is on his own time and dime. He is not receiving a scholarship.

The difference is pro teams aren't asking me to donate to pay these kids.

The football player is attending and playing for a college. He is retaining his amateur status and getting a free education. The Latin American kid once he graduates from High School is considered a professional under the control of the major league club. He is playing baseball and is normally not attending college. If he is attending college it is on his own time and dime. He is not receiving a scholarship.

Big-time college football is nothing more than the NFL's free minor-league football.

Why should an athlete retain amateur status (what is that anyway these days?) if he plays minor league football and not minor league baseball, soccer, etc?

And why is a teenage athlete who simply plays one game (football) barred from earning whatever the market is prepared to give them? No such restrictions exist on tennis players, golfers, gymnasts, figure skaters, etc.

Last edited:
The difference is pro teams aren't asking me to donate to pay these kids.
Good point.

But are the biggest football schools really counting on smaller NIL donations from fans? Or is the vast majority of that money coming from a mix of corporations, agents and high-roller boosters?

I honestly don't know. Really don't follow college football.

Good point.

But are the biggest football schools really counting on smaller NIL donations from fans? Or is the vast majority of that money coming from a mix of corporations, agents and high-roller boosters?

I honestly don't know. Really don't follow college football.
I’m sure the high roller boosters and corporations provide the bulk of the money but a lot of the athletic contributions are being diverted to NIL as at Bama the construction of the new basketball arena has been delayed do at least in part to NIL funding.

College basketball is a multi-million dollar business. It's no longer amateur sports. How the school, players and coaches whack up those millions is of no concern to me. I don't donate to multi-million dollar businesses. I support those businesses by buying their product-in this case tickets- if it's a quality product. If it's not, I find something else to do with my hard earned money.

Back