More NIL to contend with

OK i think people have this a bit backward. NIL income does not and should not have any connection to the school. While I am sure the big a$$ schools have some kind of NIL coordinator there are questions if this is ethical as it basically becomes a bribe to come to play for your school. The supreme court said that kids have the right to earn money while they play and the NCAA cannot prohibit them from getting paid for autographs tee shirts streaming being in a video game or making music and selling it. This is for outside companies to address and not the school. How our new york market and alumni address it is up to them. The main thing is most business want to make money for these opportunities also. If it is ca car dealership giving away an escalade the athlete may have to do a commercial with him in the car. If a Rap artist includes members of the team on a song or album they get a cut. If a player twich streams a weekly match on call of duty and gets 1k a month so be it. The thing is its like work. Someone from the community must drive it and the players must do something to earn it and seek it out. I am sure Memphis does not say you will get money from fedex but I am also sure there is a fedex marketing guy that gets into the conversation. Maybe we need some people who made thier way to wall street to start internships that will stake the players to 25k and teach them how to invest it under a mentor. They learn investing, they make money, they watch it grow, make connections and if the school were smart it would be good for credits.

Sorry for the lengthy babbling but instead of just crying or bitching some suggestions and discussions would be better.

Posh Alexander smoking a cigarette at the breakfast table.

"I logged a lot of miles training for that game. And I downed a lot of booty. Pirate's Booty. They taste good, and they've got the salt I need to get me going in the morning. That's why Pirate's Booty has been on my training table since I was a kid."

Oh what could have been Mr. Repole.

Attachments

• Donuts.png
    Donuts.png
    455.7 KB · Views: 2
Repole spends a substantial amount of time and money on thoroughbreds. That seems to be his real passion.
Repole also donates a significant amount of money to various charities, etc. Like all of us, he's entitled to donate where he sees fit.

It is not Mr. Reploe’s obligation, or the obligation of anyone else to carry StJ’s N$L.

The culture of alumni and fan support for StJ’s in general and it’s athletics in particular is embarrassingly cheap compared to other schools; check the US News statistics.

Heck, you have people who visit this site several times each day who have never donated a penny to its maintenance.
At the end of the day Otis, this(SJU) is a business. Pure and simple. Not a charity. As R4L said, thier product is not a very good one at this point. Would you continue to take your car to the same car wash out of allegiance, even they no longer cleaned your car well? Would you continue to eat at the same restaurant if the food and/or service is no longer any good? You wouldn't do that even if a family member owned the restaurant. Yet, for some reason, when it comes to SJU, those same rules don't apply. Lastly, you most certainly wouldn't send your child to a school simply because you went to that school, if you felt that the academic standards were no longer what they once were. So allegiance to an alma mater will only go so far.

I think he's still just pissed at how the last coaching search went down.

He'd be throwing money at the program left and right if he got his way.

Thought with Bobby G on the outs, that this relationship could be mended by a guy as charismatic as Shanley.
And this was all under Cragg's watch and leadership at the time? So our relationship with one or perhaps the most important potential financial supporter goes out the window and many will still try to convince us that Cragg is a great get for the university? Perhaps its that Duke mystique that many believe will rub off on the program which of course is a fairy tale.

Can you just imagine what would have happened to the outstanding AD of Oklahoma State if he/she was involved in the subsequent alienation of T Boone Pickens?

Last edited:
At the end of the day Otis, this(SJU) is a business. Pure and simple. Not a charity. As R4L said, thier product is not a very good one at this point. Would you continue to take your car to the same car wash out of allegiance, even they no longer cleaned your car well? Would you continue to eat at the same restaurant if the food and/or service is no longer any good? You wouldn't do that even if a family member owned the restaurant. Yet, for some reason, when it comes to SJU, those same rules don't apply. Lastly, you most certainly wouldn't send your child to a school simply because you went to that school, if you felt that the academic standards were no longer what they once were. So allegiance to an alma mater will only go so far.

While everything here makes rational and logical sense the last sentence rings hollow with a misunderstanding of the emotional connections some students build with their schools. STJ's has one of the most disengaged student and alumni fan bases in major college sports and there's a very obvious reason. The issue is that most of the major donors/supporters for major conference schools lived on those campuses or in their satellite neighborhoods for four or more years, very formative years. Their joint experience then made a connection that is far stronger than the bond of someone who juggled their drive to campus from their parents home and their part time job in the neighborhood they grew up in. And I think it's hard for someone who did not have the on campus life experience to understand the depth of this connection. There are obviously going to be exceptions to this rule, just like any rule (see JSJ) but exceptions are always the minority position and in STJ case it apears to be the vast minority. STJ opened their first dorms less than 25 years ago, it'll be interesting to see if this changes alumni behavior in the future. For the same reasons I would continue to frequent my cousins bad restaurant, I would just ask to cook my own food. ;)

Sure seems like it. A damn shame if you ask me. Here we have a local guy, SJU Alum, diehard SJU basketball fan and the guy just happens to be a billionaire. And a school that claims to constantly be in dire need of money can't figure out a way to make it work with him? No wonder they're always in dire need of money. SMFH.
I “liked” your post even though I don’t actually like it. I agree with you 100%. Shouldn’t the school want a guy, especially an alum, like this involved with the program? I hope this isn’t because the guy spoke his mind…and happened to be spot on about what he was saying.

I think Repole Needs to be a banned name from here.

We are all a bit obsessed with the man and he apparently is not interested in SJU Athletics. If there ever was a ship it sailed a long time ago.

Maybe some of the former athletes can start something with N$L.

It is not Mr. Reploe’s obligation, or the obligation of anyone else to carry StJ’s N$L.

The culture of alumni and fan support for StJ’s in general and it’s athletics in particular is embarrassingly cheap compared to other schools; check the US News statistics.

Heck, you have people who visit this site several times each day who have never donated a penny to its maintenance.
I never said it was an obligation for him to be involved, I have no idea where you got that idea from my question. But, for reasons Monte already laid out, it’s unfortunate that there doesn’t seem to be any kind of a relationship there, or, anymore, because it seemed like there might have been one at some point.

And this was all under Cragg's watch and leadership at the time? So our relationship with one or perhaps the most important potential financial supporter goes out the window and many will still try to convince us that Cragg is a great get for the university? Perhaps its that Duke mystique that many believe will rub off on the program which of course is a fairy tale.

Can you just imagine what would have happened to the outstanding AD of Oklahoma State if he/she was involved in the subsequent alienation of T Boone Pickens?
Don't you think T Boone Pickens has hand picked the administration at OK state. Maybe our administration did not want to be under someone else's thumb.

Don't you think T Boone Pickens has hand picked the administration at OK state. Maybe our administration did not want to be under someone else's thumb.
That’s a good point, I’m not sure but whether he did or didn’t, any organization with a brain would not cut ties with that level of benefactor entirely. Plus there was never any mention that Repole wanted his way on everything.

Aside from an NIL issue, do you think another issue with recruiting could be the big uptick in crime in NYC? It has not been this bad in decades, just ask any subway ruder.

That’s a good point, I’m not sure but whether he did or didn’t, any organization with a brain would not cut ties with that level of benefactor entirely. Plus there was never any mention that Repole wanted his way on everything.

Not everything, but he did have a coach he was willing to back in one of the past few hires and he didn't get his way as I recall, which I think effectively started the estrangement process.

Aside from an NIL issue, do you think another issue with recruiting could be the big uptick in crime in NYC? It has not been this bad in decades, just ask any subway ruder.

I will say urban schools in general (crimes and housing issues have risen a bit since the pandemic in most major cities) have a certain lack of appeal to some kids. Not just rural kids not wanting to live in a city but also city kids wanting to get out.

I wouldn't be as worried about sending my kid to SJU as I would, say, Columbia or NYU due to the uptick(that's a gross understatement) in crime. I most certainly would not allow my daughter to attend GW (where she went to school)or any school in DC right now. Any city with a Soros backed DA(s) would be a no-go for me. Philly, San Fran, etc etc etc Thankfully my kids are done with school. Having said that, I hate having them live in the city right now.

While everything here makes rational and logical sense the last sentence rings hollow with a misunderstanding of the emotional connections some students build with their schools. STJ's has one of the most disengaged student and alumni fan bases in major college sports and there's a very obvious reason. The issue is that most of the major donors/supporters for major conference schools lived on those campuses or in their satellite neighborhoods for four or more years, very formative years. Their joint experience then made a connection that is far stronger than the bond of someone who juggled their drive to campus from their parents home and their part time job in the neighborhood they grew up in. And I think it's hard for someone who did not have the on campus life experience to understand the depth of this connection. There are obviously going to be exceptions to this rule, just like any rule (see JSJ) but exceptions are always the minority position and in STJ case it apears to be the vast minority. STJ opened their first dorms less than 25 years ago, it'll be interesting to see if this changes alumni behavior in the future. For the same reasons I would continue to frequent my cousins bad restaurant, I would just ask to cook my own food. ;)
My guess is that you would continue to frequent it, and even let the chef cook, if the price was right 😁

Sure seems like it. A damn shame if you ask me. Here we have a local guy, SJU Alum, diehard SJU basketball fan and the guy just happens to be a billionaire. And a school that claims to constantly be in dire need of money can't figure out a way to make it work with him? No wonder they're always in dire need of money. SMFH.
Monte, why don't you make an appointment to speak with Mr Repole and find out what it would take for him to support St Johns again. You could act as an intermediary between him and our Administration.

Repole just won the Breeders Cup Juvenile with a pretty big upset over Baffert's horse so he's probably in a good mood and even more flush with cash. Might be good time for SJU to reach out lol. Interviewed after the race and said he's going to drink a lot of wine tonight to celebrate and might be sober for his horse Nest's race in the Distaff tomorrow. Good for him, big win for NY.

Last edited:
Back