More NIL to contend with

Repole just won the Breeders Cup Juvenile with a pretty big upset over Baffert's horse so he's probably in a good mood and even more flush with cash. Might be good time for SJU to reach out lol. Interviewed after the race and said he's going to drink a lot of wine tonight to celebrate and might be sober for his horse Nest's race in the Distaff tomorrow. Good for him, big win for NY.
Pletcher who trains Repole's horses does a great job getting them to improve. Nest will have to beat a tough field tomorrow but am sure she will run her best.

Monte, why don't you make an appointment to speak with Mr Repole and find out what it would take for him to support St Johns again. You could act as an intermediary between him and our Administration.
Happy to do anything I can to help, but I suspect that SJU's interpretations of the the words "success" and "excellence" is a lot different then Repole's. In other words the 2 parties have different visions and expectations for the basketball program. I believe that may be a big part of the problem as to why they can't seem to come together. But that's pure speculation on my part.

Happy to do anything I can to help, but I suspect that SJU's interpretations of the the words "success" and "excellence" is a lot different then Repole's. In other words the 2 parties have different visions and expectations for the basketball program. I believe that may be a big part of the problem as to why they can't seem to come together. But that's pure speculation on my part.
Repole's involvement and assistance would most likely be welcomed, but not at any price. Ideally, you don't want the tail wagging the dog.

Just passing along something I heard from someone with his ear to the ground in the basketball world and that is St. John’s Wall Street alums are putting together NIL deals to help us be competitive in the recruiting game. He also stated don’t be so sure we are losing a certain recruit we are all concerned about.

gee … I would differ with the above bold statement about athletes now being exploite.

it appears to me that the feckless NCAA seemingly protected the interests of grey haired administrators and colleges while the student athlete received a one year renewable scholarship without safeguards to the student athlete if injured, required the student athlete to maintain a routine of 30+ hours per week of practice which routine restricted class schedules, in exchange for a benefit similarly bestowed upon a select number of non athlete students while the NCAA and colleges reaped substantial benefits from the efforts of the unpaid student athlete.

so yeah, the current N$L system is not functional but blame the NCAA not the student athlete.

Last edited:
Will there be a reporting on the amounts paid to players? By name?

I thought interesting comment from TV announcers after the Bama/Auburn game regarding Bama's QB and star LB--one said they could be playng their last game at home, and the other said it might depend on the NIL deal compared to the pro deal. Pro teams might have to sweeten deals to sign players early.

I thought interesting comment from TV announcers after the Bama/Auburn game regarding Bama's QB and star LB--one said they could be playng their last game at home, and the other said it might depend on the NIL deal compared to the pro deal. Pro teams might have to sweeten deals to sign players early.
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but at the end of the Texas game the announcer said that Bijon Robinson was getting 2 Mil per year in NIL deal, and in order to keep him from going pro, Texas would need to get a deal for him worth 8 Mil.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but at the end of the Texas game the announcer said that Bijon Robinson was getting 2 Mil per year in NIL deal, and in order to keep him from going pro, Texas would need to get a deal for him worth 8 Mil.
good for him.

As said by others, might benefit bb only schools. The amount these fb schools r going to have to shell out is amazing and fb trumps bb in most schools
If you can raise substantial money maybe a little. I was just thinking of Arkansas which even with its basketball success is in the SEC and would be labeled by most as a Football school. They are paying Musselman 4 million a year to coach the basketball team. I am pretty sure they will be trying to protect that investment as much as any basketball only school and will be competitive NIL players.

If you can raise substantial money maybe a little. I was just thinking of Arkansas which even with its basketball success is in the SEC and would be labeled by most as a Football school. They are paying Musselman 4 million a year to coach the basketball team. I am pretty sure they will be trying to protect that investment as much as any basketball only school and will be competitive NIL players.
Don’t recall if I’ve already posted about this but I have heard that the brothers that own Walmart are Arkansas grads and are providing NIL in the millions of dollars (can’t remember if the number I heard was 3 or 30 million).

Don’t recall if I’ve already posted about this but I have heard that the brothers that own Walmart are Arkansas grads and are providing NIL in the millions of dollars (can’t remember if the number I heard was 3 or 30 million).
That makes sense. I don’t think they blink at the difference between 3 and 30 million.

Back