More NIL to contend with

Doug Edert doing ok on list JSJ posted above, as well as two DePaul players

Last edited:
When the NIL fiasco first came about, many on this site and others proclaimed that the Johnnies would reap the benefits of playing in the NYC marketing arena. With no big corporate sponsorships, that funding lifeline has certainly not materialized. It’s difficult for myself and many here to understand why when many schools in a less likely environment for corporate sponsors seem to be doing well.

When the NIL fiasco first came about, many on this site and others proclaimed that the Johnnies would reap the benefits of playing in the NYC marketing arena. With no big corporate sponsorships, that funding lifeline has certainly not materialized. It’s difficult for myself and many here to understand why when many schools in a less likely environment for corporate sponsors seem to be doing well.

i work in marketing and i'll tell you why: eyeballs and cultural relevance. we have very little of both.

right now we're operating as a mom and pop shop, going after small businesses.

and while other schools may be in smaller markets, they have oversized influence in their city, that marketers are lining up to associate themselves with the school's brand.

we offer very little ROI to any major corporate sponsor

i work in marketing and i'll tell you why: eyeballs and cultural relevance. we have very little of both.

and while other schools may be in smaller markets, they have oversized influence in their city, that marketers are lining up to associate themselves with the school's brand.

So being in the marketing field, what would the school/program have to do to turn this around? Many on here believe that winning (have a good season) would turn our marketing fortunes around. I think it’s more involved then that.

I disagree. Noise level rises tremendously for SJU when approaching a game that could lift them into the top tier in Big East. Lots of fans come out of the closet on those occasions. In my opinion there is huge pent up demand for winning basketball in NY for Knicks and Redstorm. Any good marketer should be able to reap that benefit. My feeling is not enough work being done with large corporate sponsors and/or not skilled enough. Not familiar with situation but I guarantee you it’s ripe for the pickin!

So being in the marketing field, what would the school/program have to do to turn this around? Many on here believe that winning (have a good season) would turn our marketing fortunes around. I think it’s more involved then that.

I always tell my clients that to build your brand you first have to get your house in order. IE you can’t go tell the world you’re great or buy your product if internally your house is clearly dysfunctional. Fans, customers are too smart.

And in context of SJU, getting your house in order, is everything that’s been talked about ad nauseam on this board.

Most recently tip off was a very tangible example of the school not knowing their target audience. Huge miss.

I disagree. Noise level rises tremendously for SJU when approaching a game that could lift them into the top tier in Big East. Lots of fans come out of the closet on those occasions. In my opinion there is huge pent up demand for winning basketball in NY for Knicks and Redstorm. Any good marketer should be able to reap that benefit. My feeling is not enough work being done with large corporate sponsors and/or not skilled enough. Not familiar with situation but I guarantee you it’s ripe for the pickin!
Pent up demand is not actual demand. It’s not real.

Marketers look for impressions.

Earned media.

Engagement.

Relevancy.

Those are the KPIs

It’s very clear to me as someone who’s been in marketing for over 20 years that Storm Marketing is only attracting small businesses for NIL bc what SJU offers as a brand and as a product is very small.

I handle National clients with hundreds of millions in national spend. If Storm Marketing came to one of my clients, I wouldn’t even entertain them. I’d tell them to go talk to one of the local community managers. And at that level budgets are tiny.

All of the above being said, money rules. So if you get someone like Repole offering millions to recruits all bets are off.

But that approach is obviously not sustainable and would be fleeting.

Then you go back to all the basic principles I speak of.

I always tell my clients that to build your brand you first have to get your house in order. IE you can’t go tell the world you’re great or buy your product if internally your house is clearly dysfunctional. Fans, customers are too smart.

And in context of SJU, getting your house in order, is everything that’s been talked about ad nauseam on this board.

Most recently tip off was a very tangible example of the school not knowing their target audience. Huge miss.
Excellent points, but I think you're overestimating many in our fan base. Those who not only continue to pay for an inferior product, but also chastise those who refuse to do so.

I just want to make sure I have this straight…Repole is no longer involved with St. John’s basketball (or sports) at all?

So I guess we're no longer going to get the top players in NYC year in and out like we used to with Cousy, Hawkins, Wilkens, Archibald, Cunningham, Alcindor, Erving, King, Pearl, Anderson, Marbury, Brand, Odom, Kemba.

Oh well, somehow, someway, it looks like we'll have to settle for second-tier players.

Last edited:
I just want to make sure I have this straight…Repole is no longer involved with St. John’s basketball (or sports) at all?
Sure seems like it. A damn shame if you ask me. Here we have a local guy, SJU Alum, diehard SJU basketball fan and the guy just happens to be a billionaire. And a school that claims to constantly be in dire need of money can't figure out a way to make it work with him? No wonder they're always in dire need of money. SMFH.

Sure seems like it. A damn shame if you ask me. Here we have a local guy, SJU Alum, diehard SJU basketball fan and the guy just happens to be a billionaire. And a school that claims to constantly be in dire need of money can't figure out a way to make it work with him? No wonder they're always in dire need of money. SMFH.
Repole spends a substantial amount of time and money on thoroughbreds. That seems to be his real passion.

Repole spends a substantial amount of time and money on thoroughbreds. That seems to be his real passion.
repole is an entrepreneur first and foremost. like any good business person, he wants a ROI. it's pretty obvious the school hasn't done a good job clearly outlining what he gets out of it. love, passion, connection to the school, is certainly not enough.

It is not Mr. Reploe’s obligation, or the obligation of anyone else to carry StJ’s N$L.

The culture of alumni and fan support for StJ’s in general and it’s athletics in particular is embarrassingly cheap compared to other schools; check the US News statistics.

Heck, you have people who visit this site several times each day who have never donated a penny to its maintenance.

repole is an entrepreneur first and foremost. like any good business person, he wants a ROI. it's pretty obvious the school hasn't done a good job clearly outlining what he gets out of it. love, passion, connection to the school, is certainly not enough.

I think he's still just pissed at how the last coaching search went down.

He'd be throwing money at the program left and right if he got his way.

Thought with Bobby G on the outs, that this relationship could be mended by a guy as charismatic as Shanley.

Somebody else must have made some money who went to SJU?

Repole wants the team to go to the...Wait for it.........

THE MAAC!

Back