Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Lavin took St. John's to post season 4 of the 5 years he was coach. Two NCAA and two NIT.
Never had a losing season.
However, cancer took its toll on his life in many ways.
It killed his marriage. It affected his ability to recruit as scumbag fellow coaches used his illness against him.
His last two years SJ finished 3rd and 5th in the conference.
From my recollection there were a few SJ grads that were never part of Lavin's inner circle and wanted a more familiar face that would make their cojones feel big again.
Lavin was "plotted out" and his replacement was a joke in the college basketball circles.
He didn't disappoint and now his successor is being given the same treatment but for different reasons. Lavin coached in a different world. No NIL. No immediate transfers.
We'll never know if over time he could have turned it around.

Admittedly this is just semantics. But Lavin got NIT bids when the criteria was different, you just needed a .500 record or above. Not sure both teams would have qualified based on the current NET/RPI Criteria

Admittedly this is just semantics. But Lavin got NIT bids when the criteria was different, you just needed a .500 record or above. Not sure both teams would have qualified based on the current NET/RPI Criteria
Well we definitely would have qualified that one year we barely missed the tournament.

We were the 1 seed in one of the NIT regions.

Unfortunately, that led to one of the more embarrassing showings I have ever personally seen from a St Johns team. That Robert Morris game

Well we definitely would have qualified that one year we barely missed the tournament.

We were the 1 seed in one of the NIT regions.

Unfortunately, that led to one of the more embarrassing showings I have ever personally seen from a St Johns team. That Robert Morris game
God. I was there. I’ll never forget that night.

That is not true. Lavin's bids were AFTER they changed the criteria not before.

The issue with Lav is that we were looking at another rebuild the following year with or without him.

D'Lo, Dom, Branch, Phil all graduated.

Would Sheed or Obekpa have stuck around?

Felix Balamou, Amar and Christian Jones were the only other returnees.

He had Branson Sampson, Samir Doughty and Federico Mussini coming in and would likely have gotten a commitment from Kassoum Yakwe and Marcus Lovett. But Marcus would fail to qualify.

Would he have landed Cheick Diallo over Kansas?

All in all the cupboards looked pretty bare in Spring 2015.

That is exactly what Cragg should say. Do people really expect him to say: "Yeah, as soon as the season is over, we're going to fire his a$$"?
No but if season ends as badly as it's going I wouldn't mind hearing it but I would put it a little bit more delicately, maybe something along the lines of "We're going to fire his butt". :giggle:

That is not true. Lavin's bids were AFTER they changed the criteria not before.

I believe that's incorrect. Previously the only criteria was you needed a .500 record. That only changed a few years ago to where they started selecting teams based on NET ranking and conference champions who lost their post season tournament. For example, the 2012-2013 team was only 17-16 and made it.

Forgot all about him.... There will always be a transfer or two, my guess would be Drissa will move on, it's his 2nd year with no minutes. And you got Gardner and Yaxel coming in.
Barring a miracle turnaround this year, I will bet large sums of money that the departures will not be limited to those two or CMA returns

The issue with Lav is that we were looking at another rebuild the following year with or without him.

D'Lo, Dom, Branch, Phil all graduated.

Would Sheed or Obekpa have stuck around?

Felix Balamou, Amar and Christian Jones were the only other returnees.

He had Branson Sampson, Samir Doughty and Federico Mussini coming in and would likely have gotten a commitment from Kassoum Yakwe and Marcus Lovett. But Marcus would fail to qualify.

Would he have landed Cheick Diallo over Kansas?

All in all the cupboards looked pretty bare in Spring 2015.
Doughty wasn’t eligible as a freshman either as i recall. Obekpa threatened to transfer the year before under Lav so I think he would have been gone regardless. Sheed didn’t go to class so he wasn’t coming back. We would have been awful with our without Lav

I believe that's incorrect. Previously the only criteria was you needed a .500 record. That only changed a few years ago to where they started selecting teams based on NET ranking and conference champions who lost their post season tournament. For example, the 2012-2013 team was only 17-16 and made it.
My daughter was at Marist between 2006-10 and they won the MAAC during that period but lost the Conference Tournament. It was known at that time (2007) that the result was an automatic NIT bid which they received. I am not sure when NCAA instituted that but it was in place by 2007 for sure. That change alone made it more difficult for a Power conference team to receive a bid.

I’m less sure how long the dumb NET/Quad system has been in place which also trickles down to NIT invites.

That is not true the rules had changed by then. That is also the same time they did brackets and seeding of the NIT. That was all part of the new NIT. SJU was seeded 5th and St. Joe's 4th and they played in the 4/5 game in Philly Johnnies won and then played number 1 seed Virginia and lost.

Norm's last year was under the new rules as well. SJU was a 6 seed and lost to 3 seed Memphis.

BTW a little while back I said Anderson makes $4 mil+ that was an error. He makes about $3.3/.4 mil+. Zach mentioned $2.5 Million that is his base salary. But other compensation puts him in excess over $3 million. That puts him in the top half of coaches inn BE.

I think the buyout is decent but can be managed.

It is clear from that interview Cragg likes CMA and would prefer he go on an end of year run and make this easy on him but short of that it is clear Cragg will do what he has to do.

Last edited:
That is not true the rules had changed by then. That is also the same time they did brackets and seeding of the NIT. That was all part of the new NIT. SJU was seeded 5th and St. Joe's 4th and they played in the 4/5 game in Philly Johnnies won and then played number 1 seed Virginia and lost.

Norm's last year was under the new rules as well. SJU was a 6 seed and lost to 3 seed Memphis.
That team was loaded. All the same guys as the Lavin team plus Mason Jr. I’ll never forget the Nova game I was at where Hardy was on fire on the first half. We had a big lead and Hardy must have had at least 15 points in the first half. Roberts didn’t bring him in to start the second half and by time he finally got back in the game, he was out of the flow and we ended up getting creamed. If Roberts would have featured/started Hardy and Brownlee like Lavin did, that team would have been an NCAA team as well. Instead, he buried them behind guys like Booth and Evans.

BTW a little while back I said Anderson makes $4 mil+ that was an error. He makes about $3.3/.4 mil+. Zach mentioned $2.5 Million that is his base salary. But other compensation puts him in excess over $3 million. That puts him in the top half of coaches inn BE.

I think the buyout is decent but can be managed.

It is clear from that interview Cragg likes CMA and would prefer he go on an end of year run and make this easy on him but short of that it is clear Cragg will do what he has to do.
Assume Cragg and Shanley have had several discussions on coaching situation and what kind of finish would dictate need for a change. Pretty sure if last nine games go similarly to the way the first 11 went, they will pull the trigger. Also agree they'd love to see a miracle finish that gets us dancing. Question in my wind is what happens if we finish 9-11 or 10-10 in BE and make the NIT rather than NCAA with 19 or 20 wins. I suspect CMA gets one more year in that case.

Back