Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Anyone see the video of CMA talking about tomorrow’s Georgetown game where he says the game is at Carnesecca Arena? Doesn’t even know came is at the Garden. Another example of him not being in control of his St. James program. This on top of school sending out a notice to fans with the wrong date at time of the game. What a clown 🤡 show! And we wonder why this program can’t get out of its own way!
Welcome to clown world

Bored at work today and am poking around our box scores for the season just to see if I notice any weird trends or things that stick out.

I remember defending CMA for Storr's lack of PT earlier in non conf. In my mind, he was developing and getting more comfortable and by BE play he would be a key part of this team. But looking back at some of our box scores for earlier in the big east season, there are some baffling choices.

For example. We played @Nova earlier in the BE season. Storr played 18 minutes. Shot 6-9, 15 points, 3-5 from 3. In a lopsided loss he was a highlight.

Our next game. Our very next game. Home against X. Storr logged 9 minutes. Was never in foul trouble either. Just happened to only get 9 minutes.

Very odd choice to me. I mean to see Storr have a good game against Nova, even if some of that was in garbage time, should tell you that the kid was ready for more rope. But it weirdly took him like 2 more weeks to start getting it

I wonder how political some of these choices are. Like did staff promise a certain amount of PT to some of these transfers like Curbelo and Jones. Who knows.

(FWIW, i don't think there is any change in minutes allocation that would turn this roster into a tournament team, but I still think some of the choices made by the staff are interesting to look at)

I can’t see any reason for Storrs lack of early season playing time. Sometimes freshmen don’t get playing time because of lack of strength but Storr is not in that class. He would almost always be on the floor with four experienced players. He had that pre season tour and practices that he wouldn’t have other years.
The cup cake early season schedule wasnt the best situation for getting a post season bid but it was perfect for getting a player game minutes. Stores skill set, terrific outside shooting, is what SJU has been missing for years and he can’t get minutes vs Merrimac?
It looks like Anderson has no regard for players with shooting skills.

Net of a miracle finish, CMA is extremely likely in year four to miss on a Dance ticket, his expressed goal. He also was clear about this being his best team to date. If he falls short, will he be shocked if the powers to be want to make a change? I doubt that. He may also realize losing his All BE big man (credit to CMA) and a few other pieces in the transfer manic world of college hoops, he may not have better results next year. I think if he returns, not my preference, I don’t think many SJU supporters will have reservations about making a coaching change should SJU fall short of a Tourney bid in year five. I just don’t see justification for outrage in this results driven business.

Bored at work today and am poking around our box scores for the season just to see if I notice any weird trends or things that stick out.

I remember defending CMA for Storr's lack of PT earlier in non conf. In my mind, he was developing and getting more comfortable and by BE play he would be a key part of this team. But looking back at some of our box scores for earlier in the big east season, there are some baffling choices.

For example. We played @Nova earlier in the BE season. Storr played 18 minutes. Shot 6-9, 15 points, 3-5 from 3. In a lopsided loss he was a highlight.

Our next game. Our very next game. Home against X. Storr logged 9 minutes. Was never in foul trouble either. Just happened to only get 9 minutes.

Very odd choice to me. I mean to see Storr have a good game against Nova, even if some of that was in garbage time, should tell you that the kid was ready for more rope. But it weirdly took him like 2 more weeks to start getting it

I wonder how political some of these choices are. Like did staff promise a certain amount of PT to some of these transfers like Curbelo and Jones. Who knows.

(FWIW, i don't think there is any change in minutes allocation that would turn this roster into a tournament team, but I still think some of the choices made by the staff are interesting to look at)
It seems like a lot of things about coach - old school mentality. Make the kid earn it. Reward the kids with seniority and who were promised time. Make the kid learn to play defense (which is a lost art for the most part anyways).

Storr was recruited here to play, and he should have been given the ups over guys like Mathis, who would work very well as a seasoned guy off the bench. But those other factors made the kid stick to the pine even though many of us knew quickly he was probably the best bb player on the team (barring I guess an apples to oranges comparison with Soriano). Coach was forced to play Storr more because of the injury to Mathis and because of the shocking underperformance by others. If he had his druthers, Storr would probably still be glued to the bench.

Very poor coaching decisions to not play the kid more early on. Same too for King, who I also think has talent and with the disastrous Curbelo play, could have warranted more pt.

It seems like a lot of things about coach - old school mentality. Make the kid earn it. Reward the kids with seniority and who were promised time. Make the kid learn to play defense (which is a lost art for the most part anyways).

Storr was recruited here to play, and he should have been given the ups over guys like Mathis, who would work very well as a seasoned guy off the bench. But those other factors made the kid stick to the pine even though many of us knew quickly he was probably the best bb player on the team (barring I guess an apples to oranges comparison with Soriano). Coach was forced to play Storr more because of the injury to Mathis and because of the shocking underperformance by others. If he had his druthers, Storr would probably still be glued to the bench.

Very poor coaching decisions to not play the kid more early on. Same too for King, who I also think has talent and with the disastrous Curbelo play, could have warranted more pt.
Not defending Anderson but this is pure conjecture. Anderson has demonstrated a willingness to play freshmen a lot of minutes (e.g., Posh and Wusu). I really believe this debate is folly as Storr is getting plenty of playing time now, is playing well, and the results would not have been tangibly different if he played more early.

I can’t see any reason for Storrs lack of early season playing time. Sometimes freshmen don’t get playing time because of lack of strength but Storr is not in that class. He would almost always be on the floor with four experienced players. He had that pre season tour and practices that he wouldn’t have other years.
The cup cake early season schedule wasnt the best situation for getting a post season bid but it was perfect for getting a player game minutes. Stores skill set, terrific outside shooting, is what SJU has been missing for years and he can’t get minutes vs Merrimac?
It looks like Anderson has no regard for players with shooting skills.
Absent a scandal I do not see the higher ups making a coaching change for next season. Of course I hope I am dead wrong as I like CMA as a person and wish it had worked out.

Net of a miracle finish, CMA is extremely likely in year four to miss on a Dance ticket, his expressed goal. He also was clear about this being his best team to date. If he falls short, will he be shocked if the powers to be want to make a change? I doubt that. He may also realize losing his All BE big man (credit to CMA) and a few other pieces in the transfer manic world of college hoops, he may not have better results next year. I think if he returns, not my preference, I don’t think many SJU supporters will have reservations about making a coaching change should SJU fall short of a Tourney bid in year five. I just don’t see justification for outrage in this results driven business.

Your post is actually making me have to consider the depressing reality that we might have to deal with him for a 5th year.

Not defending Anderson but this is pure conjecture. Anderson has demonstrated a willingness to play freshmen a lot of minutes (e.g., Posh and Wusu). I really believe this debate is folly as Storr is getting plenty of playing time now, is playing well, and the results would not have been tangibly different if he played more early.

To add to your point Boo, Champ also started and played a lot of minutes from day 1 as unranked freshman that was on his way to prep school because of lack of offers. Everyone could watch and see Storr struggling on the defensive end at the beginning of the season and he was behind a 5th year senior who was on track to have his best year ever before his injury.

And Storr deserves a ton of credit for not getting frustrated and improving on his weakness. In yesterday's game I thought he was the best defender, he was in passing lanes, deflecting balls, and staying in front of his man. IMO, he could end up like Champagnie and start appearing on some draft boards next year and have a chance to leave school early, he has all the tools, it's just about being consistent now.

The question is whether there’s a difference between 17 wins and 19 wins + NIT to Shanley/Cragg.

I think if Anderson is allowed back for year 5 then he'll be allowed back for year 6 as well. There's little chance the team will have more talent next year but they'll have young pieces that will probably struggle early on and play better towards the end of the season (like the 2020-21 season) which will turn into the argument that he deserves one more year with his young guys to get them over the hump.

I think if Anderson is allowed back for year 5 then he'll be allowed back for year 6 as well. There's little chance the team will have more talent next year but they'll have young pieces that will probably struggle early on and play better towards the end of the season (like the 2020-21 season) which will turn into the argument that he deserves one more year with his young guys to get them over the hump.
With the transfer portal the way it is now I don’t think you can predict from year to year how much talent a team will or won’t have.

They won't be young at all next year if most return...

Posh (SR) /Belo (SR) /King (SO)
Wusu (SR)/ Pinzon (JR)
Storr (SO) /Jones (SR)
Gardner (FR) / Yaxel (JR) / Drissa (RSO)
Soriano (RSR) / Stanley (JR) / Keita (SO)

5 - Seniors
3 - Juniors
4 - Sophmores
1 - Freshman

8 of 13 upperclassmen, that's a veteran team.

Wusu (SR)/ Pinzon (JR)
Storr (SO) /Jones (SR)

5 - Seniors
3 - Juniors
4 - Sophmores
1 - Freshman

And Harrison Reede would be 14..

Clearly, not all will be here as that is over the limit

Wusu (SR)/ Pinzon (JR)
Storr (SO) /Jones (SR)

5 - Seniors
3 - Juniors
4 - Sophmores
1 - Freshman

They ain't all returning buddy and if they do it’s mostly just returning everybody from a bad team anyway

Last edited:
Except why would talented transfers want to play for a coach who is 0-4 in making the tournament.

Unfortunately I think this is like 4th in terms of importance to recruits. NIL, playing time, and style of play all come first as most are looking to “market” themselves.

And Harrison Reede would be 14..

Clearly, not all will be here as that is over the limit
I don't see Drissa Traore returning to sit on the bench.
He can get major minutes at Hofstra or Saint Peter's.
I'd be surprised if Curbelo returns regardless of who is the coach. Pinzon is also questionable imo.
We may pick a good shooter in the portal.

Back