Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Anderson is a BS'er that just says what everyone wants to hear.
If he's back next year, even with Soriano gone, and a few will transfer, he'll still say that we're a Tournament team, no one will believe him though.

Now we know why Arkansas said: "You're fire."
You'd be amazed at how gullible some of our fan base is. There will be plenty on here next year who will say "this is the deepest and most talented team that I've seen in a long time!"

Let me preface this with I want CMA replaced, especially if it is Pitino coming in behind him, but can we please stop with the "he said this was his most talented team" garbage. Of course he said that. What did you want him to say? We have no shooters and we're going to be terrible? No coach is going to say that

Anderson is a BS'er that just says what everyone wants to hear.
If he's back next year, even with Soriano gone, and a few will transfer, he'll still say that we're a Tournament team, no one will believe him though.

Now we know why Arkansas said: "You're fire."
I was mentioning it as a good thing. Would rather him set those expectations to make the tournament than to not. This we we can hold him to his own expectations that he has failed to meet.

I was mentioning it as a good thing. Would rather him set those expectations to make the tournament than to not. This we we can hold him to his own expectations that he has failed to meet.
Looks like he may come up just a tad bit short of his "I came here to win a national championship" proclaimation. Same statement he made when he was hired at Missou and Ark.

Unless we completely tank, I think you're right that CMA will be back and they'll just prolong the inevitable.

Yes it is a good thing. What I'm saying is when you say something over, over, and over, but it never happens. Then you're a BS'er

No he doesn't have to say ahhh we suck and we won't make it, but stop saying yes this is an ncaa team if it's not.
If asked if it is, maybe say, "we'll see at the end of the season."

That's how I am anyway. I don't bs anyone, I might try to avoid answering a question knowing that my answer won't be liked.
If pressed on it, I's most likely just walk away.

Looks like he may come up just a tad bit short of his "I came here to win a national championship" proclaimation. Same statement he made when he was hired at Missou and Ark.

hahaha that's a joke, win a championship? How about doing something Lavin and Mullin before him did, get us to the damn Tournament.

Yes it is a good thing. What I'm saying is when you say something over, over, and over, but it never happens. Then you're a BS'er

No he doesn't have to say ahhh we suck and we won't make it, but stop saying yes this is an ncaa team if it's not.
If asked if it is, maybe say, "we'll see at the end of the season."

That's how I am anyway. I don't bs anyone, I might try to avoid answering a question knowing that my answer won't be liked.
If pressed on it, I's most likely just walk away.
Exactly. One thing that New Yorker can sniff from miles away, is BS. He should have started by saying "My first goal is to turn this program around so that we're a consistent winner..:.". You talk national championships as a coach who has never come close to winning a national championship, and to a fan base who hasn't come close to a having a national contender in almost 40 years?? Sounds like his canned line from when he's interviewing for the job.

Exactly. One thing that New Yorker can sniff from miles away, is BS. He should have started by saying "My first goal is to turn this program around so that we're a consistent winner..:.". You talk national championships as a coach who has never come close to winning a national championship, and to a fan base who hasn't come close to a having a national contender in almost 40 years?? Sounds like his canned line from when he's interviewing for the job.
He just says what people want to hear. He knows everyone would get excited.

NC Johnnie , some good points . Simon was great on Defense , jumping over people for highlight dunks and a player we all liked . He had no Jump shot at all . Clark , nice player, but would have been a sub on Mich State , if he didn’t transfer here . Very streaky shooter and foul prone . When he was cold shooting , he was really cold . Like 2-16 or something like that .,Plus he liked to wander outside and didn’t rebound much . Again , a nice person and good guy . Figgy came mostly off the bench and had a good year under Mullin . Nice player .Didn’t click with CMA and transferred out . Herron , as I recall was injured a lot both years he was here . But , that team was Ponds as the straw that stirred . For the good of the team , he had to be both , PG and SG .. Yes , in my mind a Special Player . As for him not being in the NBA , he’s had a few games on those 10 day contracts . It’s very hard for a Player that is not drafted , which includes many very good BE players , to have a tough time getting into the League . I hope your not saying that Ponds career here is diminished by not being a NBA player . Are you ? Anyway the real topic here is CMA’s Coaching , isn’t it ? .
Agree Sly this thread is about CMA, I just get tired of that false narrative that Shamorie had to do it all, that team had plenty of talent, Simon was BE DPOY, Figgy was excellent and Heron was mostly healthy that year, it was next year (with CMA) he was injured. They were picked by coaches to finish 4th in BE that year, while this team was picked to finish 6th.

As for CMA, I'll say what I said at the beginning of the year. If Johnnies don't dance this year, they should move on. At this point they'd need to finish 8-3 to have a shot unless they pull a Gtown and win BET. I badly wanted CMA to succeed but I look at it this way. Xavier pulled the plug on Steele when he didn't dance for his first 4 years. Butler fired Jordan after 5 years, but he danced year 1 and then missed 4 years in a row. Why should SJU not have similar expectations/demands if they want to be competitive in the Big East? Lavin danced twice in 5 years and was fired and Mullin was fired after 4 years despite making the play in game in year 4 (which was admittedly underperforming with the talent level on that team).
CMA told us all this team was talented enough to dance; has to back that up.

If administration feels they have to stick it out because of an extension granted w/o reasonable buyout I agree with Monte and others - that is just piss poor management.

Last edited:
Understand it's a results oriented decision, just hope that more than a few on the Board actually watch the games and have some understanding of the game. If they were subject to attending all the home games as a requirement for the position, they might feel differently.

Understand it's a results oriented decision, just hope that more than a few on the Board actually watch the games and have some understanding of the game. If they were subject to attending all the home games as a requirement for the position, they might feel differently.
I get the feeling the majority of fans know CMA is not getting job done. If there is no miracle finish, which seems folly, his retention must be evaluated. Father Shanley will decide his future in concert with the Board I would think. Not knowing the structure of a buyout, makes it hard to predict the outcome. That said, with the program mired in mediocrity and fan support likely to erode further, one would hope the powers to be will see this as a problem in need of immediate attention.

Agree Sly this thread is about CMA, I just get tired of that false narrative that Shamorie had to do it all, that team had plenty of talent, Simon was BE DPOY, Figgy was excellent and Heron was mostly healthy that year, it was next year (with CMA) he was injured. They were picked by coaches to finish 4th in BE that year, while this team was picked to finish 6th.

As for CMA, I'll say what I said at the beginning of the year. If Johnnies don't dance this year, they should move on. At this point they'd need to finish 8-3 to have a shot unless they pull a Gtown and win BET. I badly wanted CMA to succeed but I look at it this way. Xavier pulled the plug on Steele when he didn't dance for his first 4 years. Butler fired Jordan after 5 years, but he danced year 1 and then missed 4 years in a row. Why should SJU not have similar expectations/demands if they want to be competitive in the Big East? Lavin danced twice in 5 years and was fired and Mullin was fired after 4 years despite making the play in game in year 4 (which was admittedly underperforming with the talent level on that team).

If administration feels they have to stick it out because of an extension granted w/o reasonable buyout I agree with Monte and others - that is just piss poor management.
Gréât post NcJohnie

NC Johnnie . I believe we are having a good discussion on the talent levels of teams prior to Anderson as well as , the current situation. . Let me say this , Mullin’s teams had more talent than our current group . And , as you remind me , Ponds was , in my no opinion , our best player the last 8 years , with Champ second . That being said , Mullin’s teams had no real Post Player . Nor a PG . Certainly no one as good as Soriano . And , while we all agree that we liked Simon , Clark , they were less than average BE shooters / scorers . Figgy was in his first year and played well . Herron , I thought , had a late season injury , maybe a Knee and did miss some time and , of course nearly all his last season with another injury . Anyway , I will move on. It’s all opinion anyway .

NC Johnnie . I believe we are having a good discussion on the talent levels of teams prior to Anderson as well as , the current situation. . Let me say this , Mullin’s teams had more talent than our current group . And , as you remind me , Ponds was , in my no opinion , our best player the last 8 years , with Champ second . That being said , Mullin’s teams had no real Post Player . Nor a PG . Certainly no one as good as Soriano . And , while we all agree that we liked Simon , Clark , they were less than average BE shooters / scorers . Figgy was in his first year and played well . Herron , I thought , had a late season injury , maybe a Knee and did miss some time and , of course nearly all his last season with another injury . Anyway , I will move on. It’s all opinion anyway .
Mullins last team had good talent but had no depth and no big man .

BE Conf Record:
Lavin 46-44 ... Fired after 5 seasons. 2 NCAAs 1 NIT. Made NCAA year he was fired.
Mullin 20 -42... (19-25 after that first year.... cmon- the fact he put a roster together was impressive lol) Fired after 4 seasons. 1 NCAA. Made NCAA year he was fired.
CMA 26-39... 0 NCAAs 0 NITs....

CMA's predecessor's were let go with better results... why are we pretending making an NCAA lets you keep your job here? Lav and Mullin were let go the year they made the Dance...

Unless the Admin just wants Stability...? under .500 stability is what CMA provides...

I view it as a good thing, too. I could be wrong but I think Anderson said that because he thinks he needs to make the Tournament this year to keep his job, so there was no harm in stating that goal. Otherwise it wouldn't be smart to raise expectations like that. It's one thing to say something generic when first becoming coach (such as "we'll win a championship"), but it's another to set a near-term specific goal. Hopefully this is a sign that he won't be here next year (barring a miracle run to the Tournament).

I view it as a good thing, too. I could be wrong but I think Anderson said that because he thinks he needs to make the Tournament this year to keep his job, so there was no harm in stating that goal. Otherwise it wouldn't be smart to raise expectations like that. It's one thing to say something generic when first becoming coach (such as "we'll win a championship"), but it's another to set a near-term specific goal. Hopefully this is a sign that he won't be here next year (barring a miracle run to the Tournament).
when he made that statement I thought the same thing. Why put yourself out there like that- most talent / make the dance...whatever he said?

I took that as - "this is it - i have to walk the walk this year- so might as well talk the talk" - assumed he had some convo's with the guys who call the shots and the writing was on the wall. Make it happen this year or you're gone.

Back