Mike Anderson - Former Coach

I would like to point out that all it would have taken to hire Pitino four years ago was a phone call and a contract the size of Andersons. Instead SJU courted Paul Hewitt and James Jones before the ultimate hire and ignored Pitino. Shanley is new but Cragg and most of the BOT have not changed. And one of Shanleys first moves was to extend Anderson.

Its a nice fantasy having Pitino at SJU but I will believe it when I see it. Also, no way a hot up and comer is going to commit career suicide and come here. Those guys ran away from this job four years ago - what exactly has changed?

There will be fired guys, unemployed guys, and some middle aged mid-major folks who have had moderate success that would have interest. And Assistant Coaches at bigger programs. That’s the pool.

All the names I see are fantasies. Think, maybe a John Becker, as the best SJU can do. Now Becker can coach. But his hiring is going to excite donors? Drive up NIL opportunities? I find it hard to envision.

This is why getting rid of Anderson seems more obvious to a fan than it is. There would be a buyout, whatever that is, and no matter who they hire they will have to pay the new guy. And they have to do that with no new money to realistically expect to come in (the lack of excitement issue.)

Since they have no interest in Pitino the most likely scenario is they roll the dice with Mike again. It’s not like the pool of successors won’t be there a year later and in the meantime it’s one less year they pay two guys.

I fully expect Anderson back next year.

I would like to point out that all it would have taken to hire Pitino four years ago was a phone call and a contract the size of Andersons. Instead SJU courted Paul Hewitt and James Jones before the ultimate hire and ignored Pitino. Shanley is new but Cragg and most of the BOT have not changed. And one of Shanleys first moves was to extend Anderson.

Its a nice fantasy having Pitino at SJU but I will believe it when I see it.
Four years ago he hadn't done his penance. Everyone was afraid to be the first school.

Its a nice fantasy having Pitino at SJU but I will believe it when I see it. Also, no way a hot up and comer is going to commit career suicide and come here. Those guys ran away from this job four years ago - what exactly has changed?

There will be fired guys, unemployed guys, and some middle aged mid-major folks who have had moderate success that would have interest. And Assistant Coaches at bigger programs. That’s the pool.

All the names I see are fantasies. Think, maybe a John Becker, as the best SJU can do. Now Becker can coach. But his hiring is going to excite donors? Drive up NIL opportunities? I find it hard to envision.

This is why getting rid of Anderson seems more obvious to a fan than it is. There would be a buyout, whatever that is, and no matter who they hire they will have to pay the new guy. And they have to do that with no new money to realistically expect to come in (the lack of excitement issue.)

Since they have no interest in Pitino the most likely scenario is they roll the dice with Mike again. It’s not like the pool of successors won’t be there a year later and in the meantime it’s one less year they pay two guys.

i fear you are right. If so, I hope he coaches to an empty gym in fan reaction.

Mostly all the opinions here express the reality that CMA isn’t getting the job done that he was hired to do .. There are those who fear the University will succumb to the heavy buyout and do nothing . Leaving us with the same awful BB we have seen for nearly all the CMA years . Others speculate that all the buyout details will be dealt with and Mike leaves and Rick Pitino comes across the Whitestone with his HOF pedigree . What will happen ? Anybody’s guess at this time . Fan support for Mike is at its lowest point ever in his time here ., When do the boos start, fans don’t show up , Players transfer out ? It’s all possible and soon . For whatever reasons , Mike hasn’t been able to come close to any of the success he enjoyed for 1/2 the years he spent at UAB, Missouri and Arkansas. If this were baseball , Mike is 0-4 . Why make it 5? At least in the Mullin years , we had Ponds to watch play and he was good enough by himself to create some enjoyment . Unfortunately , he had few teammates that could be relied on to score regularly . It’s been great seeing Soriano improve this year but , he’s been basically the only bright light . We haven’t seen enough of Storr and Pinzon seems to be hot and cold …Like he was on Friday . Mathis out doesn’t help but , would he have turned the Nova game around ? Don’t know but , doubtful . So here we are on Jan 22, 2023. What’s next ?

Mostly all the opinions here express the reality that CMA isn’t getting the job done that he was hired to do .. There are those who fear the University will succumb to the heavy buyout and do nothing . Leaving us with the same awful BB we have seen for nearly all the CMA years . Others speculate that all the buyout details will be dealt with and Mike leaves and Rick Pitino comes across the Whitestone with his HOF pedigree . What will happen ? Anybody’s guess at this time . Fan support for Mike is at its lowest point ever in his time here ., When do the boos start, fans don’t show up , Players transfer out ? It’s all possible and soon . For whatever reasons , Mike hasn’t been able to come close to any of the success he enjoyed for 1/2 the years he spent at UAB, Missouri and Arkansas. If this were baseball , Mike is 0-4 . Why make it 5? At least in the Mullin years , we had Ponds to watch play and he was good enough by himself to create some enjoyment . Unfortunately , he had few teammates that could be relied on to score regularly . It’s been great seeing Soriano improve this year but , he’s been basically the only bright light . We haven’t seen enough of Storr and Pinzon seems to be hot and cold …Like he was on Friday . Mathis out doesn’t help but , would he have turned the Nova game around ? Don’t know but , doubtful . So here we are on Jan 22, 2023. What’s next ?
If we lose to Creighton and dare I say and heaven forbid a winless BE Georgetown next Sunday at MSG that is when I believe the boo birds will be out and the chants may begin. Awful to even contemplate but such is the sad state of affairs for St. John’s fans.

Sly,
I know you love Ponds but let’s stop with the fantasy that he had no talent around him. Simon, Figueroa, Heron and Clark were all very legit Big East talent who are earning good livings playing pro basketball. The coaching under Mullin was not great, they lacked depth and there is a reason Shamorie is not in the NBA and it is not simply height (see Brunson, Van Fleet, Alvarado and others).

I could write plenty of cons, but I'm only going to go with the pros in this post for Mike Anderson and his tenure:

1. None of his four seasons have been complete embarrassments unlike a few of his predecessors.
2. His assistants have helped mend some local fences in recruiting, and the team has more key NY-area kids than in regimes past.
3. Two lightly recruited NY kids have become stars under his watch: Champagnie and Soriano.
4. There has not been a scandal.
5. He is a gentleman, a family man and a good public representative of SJU.

More?

I could write plenty of cons, but I'm only going to go with the pros in this post for Mike Anderson and his tenure:

1. None of his four seasons have been complete embarrassments unlike a few of his predecessors.
2. His assistants have helped mend some local fences in recruiting, and the team has more key NY-area kids than in regimes past.
3. Two lightly recruited NY kids have become stars under his watch: Champagnie and Soriano.

More?
6. Always had a full roster + few if any late summer/early fall scratches. See Lovett, Marcus or Thomas, Keith.

More?
Cons: It feels like the Norm days all over again. Embarrassing crap.

Sly,
I know you love Ponds but let’s stop with the fantasy that he had no talent around him. Simon, Figueroa, Heron and Clark were all very legit Big East talent who are earning good livings playing pro basketball. The coaching under Mullin was not great, they lacked depth and there is a reason Shamorie is not in the NBA and it is not simply height (see Brunson, Van Fleet, Alvarado and others).
NC Johnnie , some good points . Simon was great on Defense , jumping over people for highlight dunks and a player we all liked . He had no Jump shot at all . Clark , nice player, but would have been a sub on Mich State , if he didn’t transfer here . Very streaky shooter and foul prone . When he was cold shooting , he was really cold . Like 2-16 or something like that .,Plus he liked to wander outside and didn’t rebound much . Again , a nice person and good guy . Figgy came mostly off the bench and had a good year under Mullin . Nice player .Didn’t click with CMA and transferred out . Herron , as I recall was injured a lot both years he was here . But , that team was Ponds as the straw that stirred . For the good of the team , he had to be both , PG and SG .. Yes , in my mind a Special Player . As for him not being in the NBA , he’s had a few games on those 10 day contracts . It’s very hard for a Player that is not drafted , which includes many very good BE players , to have a tough time getting into the League . I hope your not saying that Ponds career here is diminished by not being a NBA player . Are you ? Anyway the real topic here is CMA’s Coaching , isn’t it ? .

This is an interesting point that I’ve been thinking a lot about. We talk about this being Anderson’s most talented team, but I actually think it is much less talented than I thought.

Take Mullin’s last team as a comparison - which was good, but certainly not great. 21 wins, bottom half of the conference, one win in the BET, one and done in the First Four. That team was MUCH more talented than this team.

Four of that starting five would start on this team. Only Soriano would crack that lineup. Ponds, Heron, Figgy and Simon were much better than everyone else on the current roster. That team would blow out this current team.

So if this is what we consider a talented Anderson team, what standards are we using exactly?

Anderson clearly, before the season, stated that this was a “Tournament team”. My eyes tell me and the RESULTS confirm that this is nowhere near a Tournament team. I really like Mike Anderson. Yes he’s a good man. However, this is about RESULTS. If we don’t make the Tournament this season when will we? Next season will be without Soriano who has done a good job becoming our best player. Highly unlikely we are making it next season either. It’s been almost 4 years and the Program looks lost.

Anderson clearly, before the season, stated that this was a “Tournament team”. My eyes tell me and the RESULTS confirm that this is nowhere near a Tournament team. I really like Mike Anderson. Yes he’s a good man. However, this is about RESULTS. If we don’t make the Tournament this season when will we? Next season will be without Soriano who has done a good job becoming our best player. Highly unlikely we are making it next season either. It’s been almost 4 years and the Program looks lost.
He said last year as well that we would make the tournament.

Unless we completely tank, I think you're right that CMA will be back and they'll just prolong the inevitable.

What quality program plays this helter skelter defense which too often results in lost men and open shots? I can’t think of any which is telling. Forty minutes of hell is nonsense since they don’t press full court that often. They cheat for sure, but to their detriment since most capable teams know what is coming and prepare for it.

He said last year as well that we would make the tournament.
Anderson is a BS'er that just says what everyone wants to hear.
If he's back next year, even with Soriano gone, and a few will transfer, he'll still say that we're a Tournament team, no one will believe him though.

Now we know why Arkansas said: "You're fire."

Back