Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Go out and make a deal with Pitino. Offer to pay him a mil less per year then CMA makes(that'll pay for the buy out over a few years) with incentives built around team performance, attendance, fundraising, etc, that will boost his salary to considerably more than what CMA is making if he hits those goals. Anyone think that NIL contributions, donations, attendance, etc won't skyrocket with Pitino at the helm? WTF is wrong with the administration? It's as though there's not one single person with any business acumen.

Maybe the size of the crowd and the initial atmosphere at MSG got to Anderson last night. He was quoted saying You’ve got to make shots after the game. Yet his recruiting and coaching strategy, if he has a strategy, are exactly the opposite of what he said.
Shooting skill is at the bottom of priorities he looks for in recruiting.

Go out and make a deal with Pitino. Offer to pay him a mil less per year then CMA makes(that'll pay for the buy out over a few years) with incentives built around team performance, attendance, fundraising, etc, that will boost his salary to considerably more than what CMA is making if he hits those goals. Anyone think that NIL contributions, donations, attendance, etc won't skyrocket with Pitino at the helm? WTF is wrong with the administration? It's as though there's not one single person with any business acumen.
I don’t think there is any way that Pitino would come here for a guaranteed salary that’s lower than CMA

If Pitino is offered, the parameters of the deal will already have been worked out.

Happens all the time. Let’s face it, Mullin’s people were inquiring before Lavin was officially fired.
Not sure I follow. If Pitino is offered that deal he won’t accept it

I don’t know what kinda idiot u think Pitino is but he’ll have choice after the year. So u don’t screw around w incentives and BS. You go out and get the big fish. No games
I think Pitino is brilliant, and I think Pitino willing to structure a deal with us that both parties can live with. My point being, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Trust me, this school won't "open the bank" for anyone.

Can someone explain where the budget for the coaching salary comes from? And how illegal would it be to dip into the Endowment to pay a coach if it was thought it would bring in more donations and alumni support?

University budget comes from tuition and dorms. What the basketball team adds to this total university budget thru TV money is actually a pretty percentage. Each department (st John’s college, library etc) gets a slice of that. Obviously each department fighting for the highest share. Each department puts in budget request each year to university. For athletic department budget request based on total salary of all sport coaches, recruiting budget (trips to recruits hometowns etc) travel budget, equipment budget etc. A buyout plus a high salary for a new coach would be included in athletic dept budget request

20,000 students. Average tuition after financial aid is 27,000 dollars. 540,000,000 dollars brought in oer year. Also money is brought in from dorms fees as well. During pandemic universities were hit hardest budgetwise by dorms not used. Tuition still flowed in even tho classes were online. Dorms were closed so schools lost that revenue stream. Dorms at SJU are 12,000 a year. Multiple that by number of students who live in dorms. Then deduct costs (electricity water repairs). Dorms bring in hundreds of millions of dollars a year So university budget each year with tuition and dorms fees coming in is in hundreds of millions Fixed costs such as faculty and staff salaries take a big chunk of this Then the departments all hockey fir the rest

You are missing some dorm expenses:
1. Payments to the NYS Dorm authority bonds which SJU took out to pay for design and construction of dorms and Montgoris cafeteria.
2. Yearly upkeep of dorms ( the original ones near the softball field are really starting to show their age)
3. Dorm meal plans lose money for SJU for students taking out the plans. The costs of food, cooks and maintenance crews are not 100% recouped by SJU, especially with the inflation in food prices.

Endowment generally stems from gifts to university. The donor stipulates what the gift can be used for
Appreciate you breaking it down.
As of 2020- the internet tells me that our endowment was ~720mm. Given that they are "gifts"... one could say- X is for athletics i guess.

Does the president have any leeway to convince the board or whoever to use a piece of that 720 for a new head ball coach? or is that too slippery of a slope

Back