Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Announcers love beating that “never had a losing season” drum. Just once can they mentioned he has only made the NCAA 9x during his 20 year run. That’s less than 50%.

They don't say that because that's not a fair assessment. He's been at 4 different schools, all 4 when he took over were rebuild jobs. When he left UAB and Mizzou he left tournament caliber rosters behind to move up in jobs. That roster he left at Mizzou, had he stayed, would have been a pre-season top 10 team, Frank Haith won 30 games with that roster and Haith is a terrible coach, a lot of people thought that was going to be CMA's best team ever. Also, had he stayed, Otto Porter Jr. was very likely to sign with Mizzou that year as well.

And CMA certainly has his flaws and deserves criticism at times, but being at 4 different schools, and managing to never finish below .500 is impressive whether you like the guy or not, and that's not just "cupcake" games either, he left the C-USA, Big 12, and SEC with a winning conference record.

I don't think some people understand how hard it is to win games in a good conference. There's a reason why nobody in college basketball goes undefeated. Everybody has good players these days and wins are hard to get. In this conference even a team like DePaul, that doesn't have a good record, that's still a hard competitive game.

I don't think some people understand how hard it is to win games in a good conference. There's a reason why nobody in college basketball goes undefeated. Everybody has good players these days and wins are hard to get. In this conference even a team like DePaul, that doesn't have a good record, that's still a hard competitive game.
No one is asking him to go undefeated, we’re just asking for a winning record in conference and an NCAA Tournament berth.

Imo, recruits today, with inflated sense of their abilities, are less interested in a HC’s losing streak avoidance than in the program’s track record in getting prospects to “next level” and to lesser extent, how often the team “dances”

Paultzman is 100% right about this, although I actually think MA's streak is impressive. Every coach has a down year once in a while, and to consistently keep your team above water says something positive about a coach. Now, it's not a reason to retain a coach who consistently under-achieves, but it is impressive nonetheless.

Imo, recruits today, with inflated sense of their abilities, are less interested in a HC’s losing streak avoidance than in the program’s track record in getting prospects to “next level” and to lesser extent, how often the team “dances”
I agree but most kids also hate losing. I doubt it sways kids but hearing it doesn’t hurt. My opinion of course.

Kids also have been brought up on a team having a "Big 3" and now top kids know each other from 10 years old and talk about forming their own "Big 3". Of course $$$$$$ can change anything...

Short and simple, in year 4 (the one MA felt was w his best team) SJU is not any closer to getting on path for continuous success. Case closed, this is a business and he has to be removed at season’s end. The “he does it right way theory” is nonsense. It is all about results.

Short and simple, in year 4 (the one MA felt was w his best team) SJU is not any closer to getting on path for continuous success. Case closed, this is a business and he has to be removed at season’s end. The “he does it right way theory” is nonsense. It is all about results.
Let's hope Cragg and Shanley agree

With NIL what does “right way” even mean anymore. Things have radically changed.

Back