Mike Anderson - Former Coach

I mentioned a while ago that Johnny Clamchowder may be wearing out his welcome in Kentucky and may be available. Some posters laughed, are you still laughing?

St John's job is too steep of a hill to climb and most likely a career killer for any upcoming or established coach. Plus, Cal is struggling to win at Kentucky and might not make the tournament with a team loaded with 5 stars NBA talent and with all-Americans like Tishebwe on his squad. St Johns would be much, much harder to recruit to than Kentucky level schools that have built in recruiting advantages so why do you think he would do better at St Johns? Cal wouldn't take the Johnnie's job even if Kentucky fired him and if they did he would rather become a network commentator and wait for a better opportunity.

Last edited:
Cal loves New York from his time in New Jersey.
Cal has been in the Big East.
Cal knows the value of St. John's as an education institution and basketball powerhouse.
Cal is quite close to Mike Francesse.
Cal is a confidant of The Maven. He deplores Tom in Simsbury.

Anyone who says there's no shot has not been paying attention.

Cal loves New York from his time in New Jersey.
Cal has been in the Big East.
Cal knows the value of St. John's as an education institution and basketball powerhouse.
Cal is quite close to Mike Francesse.
Cal is a confidant of The Maven. He deplores Tom in Simsbury.

Anyone who says there's no shot has not been paying attention.
Basketball Powerhouse?

That was a long time ago. He has very little, if any influence, today. The man is 98 years old! Do you really think he even would want to be involved in the search for a new coach?
no but st john's runs like a family business. i know that's a long time ago but that's how st john's operates often to its own detriment.

no but st john's runs like a family business. i know that's a long time ago but that's how st john's operates often to its own detriment.
So you think Shanley and Cragg will still get Louie's approval before hiring a new coach, whenever that may be? I don't. And the family business atmosphere of St. John's is nowhere near where it was 20-30 years ago.

I was about to post something saying that I expect us, at some point this season, to win 4 out of 6 games. If that were to happen, some in our fanbase would go bonkers, think we've turned a corner and say stuff like "ya see, CMA's teams always peak late in the season". Then I looked at our schedule moving forward and realized that there's virtually no shot we win 4 out of 6 games at any point.

I was about to post something saying that I expect us, at some point this season, to win 4 out of 6 games. If that were to happen, some in our fanbase would go bonkers, think we've turned a corner and say stuff like "ya see, CMA's teams always peak late in the season". Then I looked at our schedule moving forward and realized that there's virtually no shot we win 4 out of 6 games at any point.
Well, I hope you're wrong. ;)

I think Cal to Texas and Jay to Kentucky is much more realistic scenario.
Agree with Cal to Texas being more likely than Jay, but think if Jay coaches anywhere again, it will be with the Knicks. Don't see him heading south.

A glimmer of a chance of success this season.

Win 2 vs G-town, Butler and Depaul. Win 2nd vs Hall. Pull out 1 upset vs good team. Then they would be in position to make tourney with maybe 2 wins in BET.

Wouldn't bet on it, but not totally out of the realm of possibility

A glimmer of a chance of success this season.

Win 2 vs G-town, Butler and Depaul. Win 2nd vs Hall. Pull out 1 upset vs good team. Then they would be in position to make tourney with maybe 2 wins in BET.

Wouldn't bet on it, but not totally out of the realm of possibility
8 BE wins would put us in a play in game in the BET so we would need to win 4 games there to get the automatic bid. That's the same number we need to win if we were to lose out the rest of the season.

Back