Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Can you find those for conference only?

In conference games we’re giving up 82.7 ppg. 2nd worst in the league. We’re also 9th(worst) in Opp fg % and 8th in Opp 3fg%.
Also giving up the 9th most FT attempts in conference.

I know tempo plays a role in the points and the ft’s. But there is bo doubt our defense in quality games has been a serious issue. That’s probably understating even.
No one should need metrics, or caveats of our pace, to be convinced our defense is a problem. You just need eyes.

There's nothing to debate.

Can you find those for conference only?

In conference games we’re giving up 82.7 ppg. 2nd worst in the league. We’re also 9th(worst) in Opp fg % and 8th in Opp 3fg%.
Also giving up the 9th most FT attempts in conference.

I know tempo plays a role in the points and the ft’s. But there is bo doubt our defense in quality games has been a serious issue. That’s probably understating even.
I could but I won't. I was simply making the point about not using PPG as the be all and end all defensive measure. I'm not even saying OP was wrong, just that he didn't back up his case with the right stats. If you get the right answers using the wrong math you only get partial credit. ;) Show your work young man.

If Jay Wright was to come back to coach college basketball why the hell in Gods name would he come here when Nova would take him back in a proverbial heart beat! Please some of these comments are so ridiculou!

Jay has some very strong ties to Long Island from his days at Hofstra. I'm told that might be enough.
Plus the challenge of turning around a storied program.
And let's face it, Philadelphia ain't New York.
Plus I think Louie could use that little charm over clams at Dante's.
And the ability to land mega endorsement deals on Madison Ave is in his hands.
Plus he'd be setting up shop in a hoops hotbed, the city game, the game of the playground, the Rucker League and West 4th Street.
And he'd be inheriting a team already built to win that just needs the right leader.
Plus he'd be eating clams at Umberto's with Francesca on Tuesdays.
And he'd be the toast of the city, his signing would be on the front page of the News and Post.
Plus he could shuck clams from Montauk point and boil them on the beach.
And his family has always said they wanted to move back to NY to enjoy the clams.
Plus he'd have a choice of white or red clam sauce with his linguine.
And he'd be able to buy a clam farm via an aqua-culture whole saler.
Plus he has said raising his own clams for his family in New York City is a lifelong goal.
And they'd happily clam ever after.

Jay has some very strong ties to Long Island from his days at Hofstra. I'm told that might be enough.
Plus the challenge of turning around a storied program.
And let's face it, Philadelphia ain't New York.
Plus I think Louie could use that little charm over clams at Dante's.
And the ability to land mega endorsement deals on Madison Ave is in his hands.
Plus he'd be setting up shop in a hoops hotbed, the city game, the game of the playground, the Rucker League and West 4th Street.
And he'd be inheriting a team already built to win that just needs the right leader.
Plus he'd be eating clams at Umberto's with Francesca on Tuesdays.
And he'd be the toast of the city, his signing would be on the front page of the News and Post.
Plus he could shuck clams from Montauk point and boil them on the beach.
And his family has always said they wanted to move back to NY to enjoy the clams.
Plus he'd have a choice of white or red clam sauce with his linguine.
And he'd be able to buy a clam farm via an aqua-culture whole saler.
Plus he has said raising his own clams for his family in New York City is a lifelong goal.
And they'd happily clam ever after.
I think Dante’s closed 10 years ago

I get he sense that if there's mutual interest, that a compensation package would not be a stumbling block. Pinto knows full well that as the head coach of SJU, once he has the program rockin' and he's the toast of the town, his endorsement deals in NYC and elsewhere will skyrocket. He's a shred business man in addition to being a great coach.

Would Pitino chip in to pay some/all of the buyout?

Would Pitino chip in to pay some/all of the buyout?
Wish I knew. Of course none of us knows what the buy out is, so really impossible to say. But I'll stand by my assertion that if both parties have serious interest, a deal will be made. Im still not so sure that SJU has changed their position towards Pitino. Regardless, we still have a coach and the season still has to play out.

I could but I won't. I was simply making the point about not using PPG as the be all and end all defensive measure. I'm not even saying OP was wrong, just that he didn't back up his case with the right stats. If you get the right answers using the wrong math you only get partial credit. ;) Show your work young man.

Clearly when it comes to conference defense, St. John’s has been a pretty consistent bottom feeders under this staff.

Not me but people I trust
Of course Pitino, who did not get a contract extension this past off season, would likely be open to options better than his current job. This is done all the time. SJU stupidly courted Mullin while Lavin was coaching his last season. I am sure at the proper time RP would listen to what Shanley has in mind after Mike’s future is clear. The big question is will SJU be interested in Rick. Getting him may be logical to many of us, but Shanley pays the bills/buyout.

I personally think this chronically dormant program needs a guy at the helm who could provide a “jolt” to get on a Providence like path, consistently competing at high level. Pitino imo fits that mold. I doubt Anderson can dig out of the latest BE hole, so once again SJU will likely come to a fork in the road re whether to let MA go and invest the money in high caliber guy like RP or risk hiring a rising coach at a lower level. SJU has historically taken wrong fork, but we are either due or our losing tradition slogs on.

Back