Mike Anderson - Former Coach

I for one cannot wait to see Pitino next fall all dapper on the sidelines of MSG running a press, letting guys fire away from three.

I just hope he gives more time to Obi and IQ.

I don't think it's any exaggeration to expect Pitino to come here next year and immediately have the team compete for a NCAA tourney bid. It would likely take him being able to retain most of the roster and our recruits, and maybe even add a key transfer, but that all doesn't seem too far fetched.

I could be wrong and/or rules may have changed but at least at some point Saint John's housed a small enough percentage of the total student population And still qualifies(ed) to offer a stipend. However after Pittsburgh Saint John's made the decision to bring the players on campus and that doesn't appear to be a decision they have any interest in reversing. Also in this day of NIL I don't think the stipend would be quite as attractive as it used to be anyway. The main advantage during the stipend era was also that Saint John's was primarily New York players who could pocket the stipend and leave it home. I am unsure if that is still an attractive option either.
You are correct.

Years ago when I was a student at SJU and there were no dorms and we would lose recruiting battles to Carolina and other powers of kthe reason given was because SJU had no dorms on campus which put us at a disadvantage.
Today if we have trouble recruiting it’s because we have dorms.

I mention the dorms because a few years back I heard an interview of a former player who stated that getting the dorms hurt recruiting. Back in 1981 each sport had a different level of dorm money. The sport I was on was 400 a month. As I recall basketball was approx 800 a month. That’s like 2500 in todays dollars. You could live at home and still keep that money. Or you rent a place near campus with others in the team. You could pocket any extra you had. 4 people rent a place for 1000. 250 a person. You could pocket the extra.

I mention the dorms because a few years back I heard an interview of a former player who stated that getting the dorms hurt recruiting. Back in 1981 each sport had a different level of dorm money. The sport I was on was 400 a month. As I recall basketball was approx 800 a month. That’s like 2500 in todays dollars. You could live at home and still keep that money. Or you rent a place near campus with others in the team. You could pocket any extra you had. 4 people rent a place for 1000. 250 a person. You could pocket the extra.
I have also heard this and believe the dorms did in fact hurt recruiting as the rent stipend was a legal way to pay/incentivize a local recruit to stay home,

Dorms/stipend loss were nearly a quarter decade ago.

Problem was university did not adapt and get in front things to build some other type of incentive to draw recruits.

25 years...think about that.
Yes outside of the Ron Artest teams we have sucked for 25 years. That is why the good old days would be viewed by new recruits as if they were learning about the Civil War.

The stipend athletes received at SJU before the forms might have been a recruiting plus years ago but once the government started to provide cash to athletes, when that started I’m not sure, but that would have lessened the importance of the stipend.
The grant provided to athletes is substantial.

If Mike Cragg and Shanley have a clue about college hoops, they can’t retain Anderson. Last year the team finished as one of the poorest defensive teams in the country. This year over the past five games, THE TEAM HAS GIVEN UP AN AVERAGE OF 86 POINTS A GAME including a record breaking 96 to Marquette at Alumni Hall and 88 against a Seton Hall team that averages in the 60s.

If Anderson does not make the Dance and is retained, it will be painfully obvious that neither Cragg or Shanley give a damn about the hoops program of the school.

What would it cost? Buyout, new coach? I’m assuming Pitino wouldn’t come for a 2 year contract and certainly not less than max dollars. He knows we’re desperate.

To add, we don’t have the funds, unless a donor steps up.

What would it cost? Buyout, new coach? I’m assuming Pitino wouldn’t come for a 2 year contract and certainly not less than max dollars. He knows we’re desperate.

To add, we don’t have the funds, unless a donor steps up.
I get he sense that if there's mutual interest, that a compensation package would not be a stumbling block. Pinto knows full well that as the head coach of SJU, once he has the program rockin' and he's the toast of the town, his endorsement deals in NYC and elsewhere will skyrocket. He's a shred business man in addition to being a great coach.

I get he sense that if there's mutual interest, that a compensation package would not be a stumbling block. Pinto knows full well that as the head coach of SJU, once he has the program rockin' and he's the toast of the town, his endorsement deals in NYC and elsewhere will skyrocket. He's a shred business man in addition to being a great coach.
Slick Rick is interested.

Good to hear the compensation package would not deter us from pursuing him. I sense Rick's familiarity with coach in NY is a plus. Fingers crossed......Not a big fan of Pitino fan but IMHO he's the only answer out there at this point (unless Jay Wright decides to come back) and I love my Jonnies to much.

If Mike Cragg and Shanley have a clue about college hoops, they can’t retain Anderson. Last year the team finished as one of the poorest defensive teams in the country. This year over the past five games, THE TEAM HAS GIVEN UP AN AVERAGE OF 86 POINTS A GAME including a record breaking 96 to Marquette at Alumni Hall and 88 against a Seton Hall team that averages in the 60s.

If Anderson does not make the Dance and is retained, it will be painfully obvious that neither Cragg or Shanley give a damn about the hoops program of the school.

Let me say up front I am not trying to promote the idea that CMA should not have a minimum KPI of reaching the dance this year. I am disappointed in the conference season so far as much as anyone else.

However continued quoting of PPG as a defensive measure is still misleading. Last year STJ ended up ranked 104 in defensive efficiency, far from the bottom of the NCAA and well above many Power 5 teams. This year they are essentially in the same spot at 103. At the same time their offensive efficiency has dropped from 78 to 91. They rank 32 in ppg this year and this comes by creating more possessions, which means there's also more possessions for opponents which leads to a higher PPG for opponents.

Let me say up front I am not trying to promote the idea that CMA should not have a minimum KPI of reaching the dance this year. I am disappointed in the conference season so far as much as anyone else.

However continued quoting of PPG as a defensive measure is still misleading. Last year STJ ended up ranked 104 in defensive efficiency, far from the bottom of the NCAA and well above many Power 5 teams. This year they are essentially in the same spot at 103. At the same time their offensive efficiency has dropped from 78 to 91. They rank 32 in ppg this year and this comes by creating more possessions, which means there's also more possessions for opponents which leads to a higher PPG for opponents.
Can you find those for conference only?

In conference games we’re giving up 82.7 ppg. 2nd worst in the league. We’re also 9th(worst) in Opp fg % and 8th in Opp 3fg%.
Also giving up the 9th most FT attempts in conference.

I know tempo plays a role in the points and the ft’s. But there is bo doubt our defense in quality games has been a serious issue. That’s probably understating even.

Can you find those for conference only?

In conference games we’re giving up 82.7 ppg. 2nd worst in the league. We’re also 9th(worst) in Opp fg % and 8th in Opp 3fg%.
Also giving up the 9th most FT attempts in conference.

I know tempo plays a role in the points and the ft’s. But there is bo doubt our defense in quality games has been a serious issue. That’s probably understating even.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 4.32.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 4.32.55 PM.png
    962.6 KB · Views: 15
Back