Mike Anderson - Former Coach

I could see Fr. Shanley cringe when questioned about Pitino’s history and if it was a good idea to bring him into contact with so many impressionable young men.
Hey Knight

Now that you have raised the issue of “Pitino’s history” (your phrase) please step up identify what that “history” is regarding him being sanctioned by the NCAA. Thanks.

From being at a couple games this year... we are well at the "fan apathy" mark in CMA's tenure.

Ruling out an absolutely EPIC turn-around and an NCAA bid... i can only imagine what the "fan support" will look like next year if we keep CMA. Think we're talking max 3k at CA...
I don't see an epic turn around simply because we don't have the talent nor the coaching for an epic turn around IMO. Maybe we win a few games in a row and maybe we make the NIT, but that's about it. Assuming Curbelo is back and has his head screwed on right, and assuming we have no other issues with the kids, and assuming we do make the NIT, my prediction is that CMA is back for another year. But that's a lot of assuming.

If Mike is no longer here, this dormant program Imo needs a jolt, someone who has coaching chops, contacts, would positively impact fundraising and get good players. Pitino fits that profile no matter his age. This is not a coaching job sought by the good ones and morality concerns are folly to me, especially since he has been productive and a positive at Iona. SJU is a program declining for decades and perhaps Shanley and Pitino, who FS knows well, can be a dynamic duo to get the program on track for success in relatively short order. A Pitino hire would likely positively impact enrollment, fundraising and attendance out of the box while changing public perception.

Getting him of course is another matter, but desperate times merit bold moves and this seems a worthy one. My gut tells me Shanley is a seasoned, competitive CEO who wants to replicate his Providence success. If he wants him, I find it a no brainer.
Your last sentence of it being a no brainer is what causes me concern when it comes to St. John’s. What gives me hope is we have a new leader in place at our University so we should not revisit the sins of the past on our present and future decisions and decision makers.

Three choices for Father Shanley at seasons end.
1 Retain Anderson saving the buyout and assuring another year of futility and having to find another coach at next years end
2 Allow Cragg and the board to find that next hot mid major coach looking to move up to a program like SJU. This will mean two years of getting started and if he is successful a fifty per cent chance of an NCAA bid in year three. If he fails another coach is hired and Father Shanley retires without attending an SJU tournament game.
3 Pitino is willing to take the job and Father Shanley hires him next April which gives Pitino a twenty five per cent chance of making the tournament next season and a seventy five per cent chance the next five years, He raises the programs profile
and fund raising but SJU takes a hit in some peoples minds for the hire.

Three choices for Father Shanley at seasons end.
1 Retain Anderson saving the buyout and assuring another year of futility and having to find another coach at next years end
2 Allow Cragg and the board to find that next hot mid major coach looking to move up to a program like SJU. This will mean two years of getting started and if he is successful a fifty per cent chance of an NCAA bid in year three. If he fails another coach is hired and Father Shanley retires without attending an SJU tournament game.
3 Pitino is willing to take the job and Father Shanley hires him next April which gives Pitino a twenty five per cent chance of making the tournament next season and a seventy five per cent chance the next five years, He raises the programs profile
and fund raising but SJU takes a hit in some peoples minds for the hire.
One thing no one ever seems to mention is how much the dorms affected recruiting. Having the dorms no longer allows St John’s to pay housing that housing allowance was a huge draw for nyc kids

One thing no one ever seems to mention is how much the dorms affected recruiting. Having the dorms no longer allows St John’s to pay housing that housing allowance was a huge draw for nyc kids

I could be wrong and/or rules may have changed but at least at some point Saint John's housed a small enough percentage of the total student population And still qualifies(ed) to offer a stipend. However after Pittsburgh Saint John's made the decision to bring the players on campus and that doesn't appear to be a decision they have any interest in reversing. Also in this day of NIL I don't think the stipend would be quite as attractive as it used to be anyway. The main advantage during the stipend era was also that Saint John's was primarily New York players who could pocket the stipend and leave it home. I am unsure if that is still an attractive option either.

How bout the lineup we had in down 3 with the ball and FIVE seconds left? No Storr no Jones. Providence fouled thankfully, but who were we hoping was gonna get the look? 5 seconds is too little to go for 2 and extend the game again. Malpractice.

I hear a lot of chatter about indiscretions by Coach Pitino without any specifics.

I would appreciate if someone would please articulate with some particularly exactly what indiscretions Coach Pitino has committed that would disqualify him from coaching at St. John’s University.
Well, and I am quoting Krammer, he can’t speak French

Perfectly stated Paultz..

Assuming all the stars align (that he and SJU) interested but he's also willing to go elsewhere, it would be brutal if we lost him based on contract $ and someone like Georgetown out offering us...or just being used as a bargaining chip with another school.

Advantages: we have are more media attention if success, closer to family, MSG

Disadvantages: budget, poor facilities, fan apathy.
If it plays out that we seek a new direction, we have to hope that his wife doesn’t want to move again and that Rick sees his Wall Strete contacts as potential benefactors capable of enabling him to accomplish the seemingly impossible.

As for his indiscretions, NIL has all but eliminated that as an issue. As for his highly publicized marital infidelity, if his wife forgave him that is all that counts. And, by the way, just because it hasn’t been in the “news”, doesn’t mean that some of the more esteemed in the coaching BE fraternity haven’t done likewise.

Back