Mike Anderson - Former Coach

20,000 students. Average tuition after financial aid is 27,000 dollars. 540,000,000 dollars brought in oer year. Also money is brought in from dorms fees as well. During pandemic universities were hit hardest budgetwise by dorms not used. Tuition still flowed in even tho classes were online. Dorms were closed so schools lost that revenue stream. Dorms at SJU are 12,000 a year. Multiple that by number of students who live in dorms. Then deduct costs (electricity water repairs). Dorms bring in hundreds of millions of dollars a year So university budget each year with tuition and dorms fees coming in is in hundreds of millions Fixed costs such as faculty and staff salaries take a big chunk of this Then the departments all hockey fir the rest
Not all students pay full tuition.

My guess is we will end the season at 17-15 or thereabouts - our fourth year in a row of mediocrity under CMA. Unfortunately, I think mediocrity is all we can expect - more of the same… records like 17-15, 18-14. I’m not sure at this stage of his career in this conference Anderson can realistically give us any more than that. Time to move on.

My guess is we will end the season at 17-15 or thereabouts - our fourth year in a row of mediocrity under CMA. Unfortunately, I think mediocrity is all we can expect - more of the same… records like 17-15, 18-14. I’m not sure at this stage of his career in this conference Anderson can realistically give us any more than that. Time to move on.
Those records are with lousy out of conference schedules. IMO no dance hasta la vista.

I think Pitino is brilliant, and I think Pitino willing to structure a deal with us that both parties can live with. My point being, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Trust me, this school won't "open the bank" for anyone.
Pitino is smart enough to create his own bank here.

For anyone saying he wouldn't accept a deal like Monte suggested, look at it this way: Did RDJ make a mistake by taking incentive/percentage deal from Marvel instead of a huge upfront salary? How about Tom Hanks for Forrest Gump? If you KNOW you are able to bet on yourself and win big, you do it.

This isn't Pat Kelsey we'd be offering incentives to. It's F'ing Rick Pitino. He know in the portal and NIL era, he can win big and quick.

I think you're wrong. We'll see
Why would Pitino, at the age of 70, take a deal with less guaranteed money than he could get from another program in exchange for some risky incentive package? Let alone a guaranteed salary significantly less than CMA’s, which is hardly top of the market. I hope I am wrong but I just don’t see it.

Why would Pitino, at the age of 70, take a deal with less guaranteed money than he could get from another program in exchange for some risky incentive package? Let alone a guaranteed salary significantly less than CMA’s, which is hardly top of the market. I hope I am wrong but I just don’t see it.
He knows that he can get more money elsewhere. A lot more money. If he truly has an interest in the SJU job, and by all accounts he does, he knows he's going to have to take less then he would if he went to, say, Texas. I can't speak for the man, but maybe now that he's back home he doesn't want to leave again. Maybe he wants to be the king of NYC. Maybe he sees us as a sleeping giant and he wants to be the one to awaken us. Maybe he doesn't want to go to a football school where basketball will always play second fiddle. Maybe all of the above. Maybe other reasons. I could be way off base, but I firmly believe that Pitino would absolutely love to be coaching again on the biggest stage there is; back in the Big East, in NYC and at MSG.

SJU fans are headed for a massive letdown when Pitino goes somewhere else.

I mean, let's be realistic guys. 4 years ago, SJU got no's from Bobby Hurley, Porter Moser and Ryan Odom. To be honest, I can't remember if Tim Cluess said no to them or they said no to him. But either way, you get my point. Unless Shanley is the best salesman out there, I highly doubt Pitino is coming here.

You guys can talk all you want about Norm being our worst coach ever, but dollar for dollar, CMA may turn out to be one of the worst coaching hires(including the extension) in the history of college basketball. Certainly the worst in SJU history. Fix this mistake Mike Cragg!

SJU fans are headed for a massive letdown when Pitino goes somewhere else.

I mean, let's be realistic guys. 4 years ago, SJU got no's from Bobby Hurley, Porter Moser and Ryan Odom. To be honest, I can't remember if Tim Cluess said no to them or they said no to him. But either way, you get my point. Unless Shanley is the best salesman out there, I highly doubt Pitino is coming here.
Of course it would be a letdown if one of the top coaches of all time went elsewhere if we had an opening. But no one thinks he's 100 percent coming here. Some posters seem to be under the impression that pro-Pitino posters think that way,

But it's been out there that he'd be interested in the job.

He knows that he can get more money elsewhere. A lot more money. If he truly has an interest in the SJU job, and by all accounts he does, he knows he's going to have to take less then he would if he went to, say, Texas. I can't speak for the man, but maybe now that he's back home he doesn't want to leave again. Maybe he wants to be the king of NYC. Maybe he sees us as a sleeping giant and he wants to be the one to awaken us. Maybe he doesn't want to go to a football school where basketball will always play second fiddle. Maybe all of the above. Maybe other reasons. I could be way off base, but I firmly believe that Pitino would absolutely love to be coaching again on the biggest stage there is; back in the Big East, in NYC and at MSG.
I think the only hope is if he wants to do something that makes him stand out. Any decent coach can go win at a blue blood. But, to rule NY and bring this program back from the dead is something that can separate you from the pack. I think you would have to make the incentives enough so that we would be able to bet on himself and make more money if he delivers than we would taking a guarantee from a blue blood. I think that MSG would be packed and that donations would come flying in if this were to happen. So, maybe give him the opportunity to make 10+ million if we become a top 10 team. To me, your only realistic chance is to make him a partner in whatever gets built. That, combined with being king of NY would give you a real shot.

Back