Mike Anderson - Former Coach

I could write plenty of cons, but I'm only going to go with the pros in this post for Mike Anderson and his tenure:

1. None of his four seasons have been complete embarrassments unlike a few of his predecessors.
2. His assistants have helped mend some local fences in recruiting, and the team has more key NY-area kids than in regimes past.
3. Two lightly recruited NY kids have become stars under his watch: Champagnie and Soriano.
4. There has not been a scandal.
5. He is a gentleman, a family man and a good public representative of SJU.

More?
not a horrible golfer

Unfortunately I think this is like 4th in terms of importance to recruits. NIL, playing time, and style of play all come first as most are looking to “market” themselves.
There are plenty of schools with very good players that have NEVER been to the Big Dance.
We are all armchair coaches. When the team wins we praise the player who had a good game.
When we lose we blame the coach.
If we keep Soriano, Storr, Jones, Posh and Stanley and add Gardner and one other key player, hopefully the combination of experience and talent will lift the team to the top 4 in the conference.
Any major departures will spell doom for coach Anderson.
Then we would need a name hire to keep players and recruits.
Bottom line is this team needs to get to 22 wins.
Let's see if they have it in them!

Lavin stopped recruiting because he took us to an NCAA tournament had some 20+ win seasons, was in n the cusp of taking us to a second NCAA tournament and he was not offered an extension. He also heard the Mullin rumors. CMA was given an extension after accomplishing absolutely nothing.
to be fair he was recruiting we had Briscoe silent verbal Lavin even arranged his press conference ( Slice F'd that up ironically ) then pieces were allegedly about to fall into place after that verbal. Who knows what would have happened after but the Briscoe part is true

lets be honest. In hindsight Lavin shouldn't have been fired at the very least extension with easy buyout and fall on the sword 2 years later if it didnt work out
Lavin took St. John's to post season 4 of the 5 years he was coach. Two NCAA and two NIT.
Never had a losing season.
However, cancer took its toll on his life in many ways.
It killed his marriage. It affected his ability to recruit as scumbag fellow coaches used his illness against him.
His last two years SJ finished 3rd and 5th in the conference.
From my recollection there were a few SJ grads that were never part of Lavin's inner circle and wanted a more familiar face that would make their cojones feel big again.
Lavin was "plotted out" and his replacement was a joke in the college basketball circles.
He didn't disappoint and now his successor is being given the same treatment but for different reasons. Lavin coached in a different world. No NIL. No immediate transfers.
We'll never know if over time he could have turned it around.

Lavin took St. John's to post season 4 of the 5 years he was coach. Two NCAA and two NIT.
Never had a losing season.
However, cancer took its toll on his life in many ways.
It killed his marriage. It affected his ability to recruit as scumbag fellow coaches used his illness against him.
His last two years SJ finished 3rd and 5th in the conference.
From my recollection there were a few SJ grads that were never part of Lavin's inner circle and wanted a more familiar face that would make their cojones feel big again.
Lavin was "plotted out" and his replacement was a joke in the college basketball circles.
He didn't disappoint and now his successor is being given the same treatment but for different reasons. Lavin coached in a different world. No NIL. No immediate transfers.
We'll never know if over time he could have turned it around.
I'm not disputing almost anything you just wrote. All I'm saying is his final recruiting class before he got fired his centerpiece was Briscoe who was coming then Diallo was supposed to come then a third guy I think. Lav was set up to fail after Briscoe F'd us over the wheels were turning during Lavs last season to get rid of him. Heck Arbitello and Zach were trying before end if season. Zach because he wasn't getting fed info and Arbs because Lav didnt put his nephew or something as a walk-on and then rumors were spread that he wasn't recruiting which was a lie because Panther saw him at CTK games

to be fair he was recruiting we had Briscoe silent verbal Lavin even arranged his press conference ( Slice F'd that up ironically ) then pieces were allegedly about to fall into place after that verbal. Who knows what would have happened after but the Briscoe part is true
And if Lance Stephenson commited, maybe Norm would still be here ☺️. Coaches get rewarded for who they get Mike, not who they almost get. As disappointed as I am in CMA, Lav was never going to be the long term solution.

I'm not disputing almost anything you just wrote. All I'm saying is his final recruiting class before he got fired his centerpiece was Briscoe who was coming then Diallo was supposed to come then a third guy I think. Lav was set up to fail after Briscoe F'd us over the wheels were turning during Lavs last season to get rid of him. Heck Arbitello and Zach were trying before end if season. Zach because he wasn't getting fed info and Arbs because Lav didnt put his nephew or something as a walk-on and then rumors were spread that he wasn't recruiting which was a lie because Panther saw him at CTK games
The third guy, who actually did verbal to us, was Brandon Sampson.

And if Lance Stephenson commited, maybe Norm would still be here ☺️. Coaches get rewarded for who they get Mike, not who they almost get. As disappointed as I am in CMA, Lav was never going to be the long term solution.
I agree it's all about results and agree with you with CMA all I'm saying if your result is what Lav gave us during his time with that coaching peer group ( to be fair this group is high too )( Lav ) had better results than CMA and Mullin and in hindsight deserved little bit more time

I agree it's all about results and agree with you with CMA all I'm saying if your result is what Lav gave us during his time with that coaching peer group ( to be fair this group is high too )( Lav ) had better results than CMA and Mullin and in hindsight deserved little but more time
Agreed Mike, and between our last 4 coaches, I'd take Lav hands down.

And Harrison Reede would be 14..

Clearly, not all will be here as that is over the limit

Forgot all about him.... There will always be a transfer or two, my guess would be Drissa will move on, it's his 2nd year with no minutes. And you got Gardner and Yaxel coming in.

For what this is worth if you compared Posh Alexander's highly criticized outside shooting skills to Isaiah Briscoe's outside shooting skills Posh would come off looking like Stephen Curry.

While very talented in other aspects of the game, Briscoe was possibly the (worst shooting) guard I have ever seen. 13.5% from three as a Freshman and 46% from the line. If he had come here, I believe he would have been unmercifully lambasted as the most overrated recruit ever.

For what this is worth if you compared Posh Alexander's highly criticized outside shooting skills to Isaiah Briscoe's outside shooting skills Posh would come off looking like Stephen Curry.

While very talented in other aspects of the game, Briscoe was possibly the (worst shooting) guard I have ever seen. 13.5% from three as a Freshman and 46% from the line. If he had come here, I believe he would have been unmercifully lambasted as the most overrated recruit ever.
agree. Would have been more about perception and if other followed and if it's a big if. Heck Diallo brelay played at Kansas ( F Norm ) and he I think went pro after one year anyway so even if all fell into place maybe Lavin wouldn't have been here more than 2 more years. I just think it he should have in hindsight and I think he was getting Lovett and Mussini anyway. I blame it all on114 Ralph anyway because Mullin first year here at MSG I was there when Ralph sold us to the devil for that 1 win

IMHO, if we make a coaching change, the only way Storr stays is if we hire Pitino. Don’t see any other coach on the list with that staying power.

IMHO, if we make a coaching change, the only way Storr stays is if we hire Pitino. Don’t see any other coach on the list with that staying power.
So, if we keep Anderson Storr stays??
If Anderson leaves and Gardner, Storr, Soriano and a couple of other players leave, I'm not sure even Rick Pitino can recruit replacements fast enough to avoid a losing season in 23-24.
It's quite the conundrum.

I will always wonder what would have happened if Lavin was able to put together a run in his final NCAA tournament here, say best San Diego State and then upset Duke. How could they have moved on from him after that? Especially if the plans for Mullin were already in place.

Back