Mike Anderson - Former Coach

“ The overriding question when it comes to Anderson and the future of the program’s leadership is who will have the final say. It could be a collaborative effort between Cragg, the board of trustees and university president Rev. Brian Shanley, who arrived two years ago from Providence and has a strong desire to boost the basketball program’s status. Anderson is owed a lot of money.

For now, as Cragg wrote, St. John’s is hoping the team can turn around its season. Otherwise, another coaching change seems possible”

Article above from Zach in my last post above

Assume Cragg and Shanley have had several discussions on coaching situation and what kind of finish would dictate need for a change. Pretty sure if last nine games go similarly to the way the first 11 went, they will pull the trigger. Also agree they'd love to see a miracle finish that gets us dancing. Question in my wind is what happens if we finish 9-11 or 10-10 in BE and make the NIT rather than NCAA with 19 or 20 wins. I suspect CMA gets one more year in that case.
I suspect you're right. I do not think it's a tourney bid or bust for CMA. Any kind of decent finish(.500 +/-) and he's back. Just my opinion.

I think they poke around to see if there is genuine interest in coaching the program from high-end coaches. If not they stick with Mikey and play out his contract...

That is not true the rules had changed by then. That is also the same time they did brackets and seeding of the NIT. That was all part of the new NIT. SJU was seeded 5th and St. Joe's 4th and they played in the 4/5 game in Philly Johnnies won and then played number 1 seed Virginia and lost.

Norm's last year was under the new rules as well. SJU was a 6 seed and lost to 3 seed Memphis.

No. These changes were recent. This is what I mean:

The NCAA announced a revamped selection process starting with the 2017 tournament. The main highlights are:

Teams are no longer required to have .500 or greater overall records to receive bids.

Similar to the automatic bids the NCAA Tournament grants for all conference tournament champions, all teams that won regular-season conference championships but failed to earn NCAA tournament bids are guaranteed places in the NIT.

No. These changes were recent. This is what I mean:

The NCAA announced a revamped selection process starting with the 2017 tournament. The main highlights are:

Teams are no longer required to have .500 or greater overall records to receive bids.

Similar to the automatic bids the NCAA Tournament grants for all conference tournament champions, all teams that won regular-season conference championships but failed to earn NCAA tournament bids are guaranteed places in the NIT.
None of those changes impacted SJU making it in 2010, 2013 or 2014. SJU makes it under those rules.

The bigger changes were the auto bids to any regular season conference champ that did not win conference Tourney and failed to make NCAA at large and the seeding of the teams. Those happened after the NCAA bought the NIT in the mid-2000s after the NIT anti-trust lawsuit by the NIT.

The original changes of auto bids and seeding made it harder for major conference teams to just finish .500 or better even with a LOUSY RPI rating and automatically make NIT. Before those changes all 32 teams were selected at-large and there was no seeding. So the selection process was primarily based on high major teams who did not make NCAA and the matchups were done round to round to assure the best possible potential future matchups at MSG. By bringing in the automatic bids to small conferences that eliminated several at large bids for bigger conference teams. And seeding forced certain matchups that perhaps otherwise would have been avoided.

Here is the 2010 NIT under Norm, Notice there were 8 automatic bids to small conference teams everyone of them were 7 or 8 seeds except for Kent St who was a 4 (they were pretty strong in terms of their RPI). Many of those 7 teams in the OLD NIT would have almost certainly NOT been invited if the process was purely at large. Just like the NCAA is not really the best 68 teams as we know many of the 14/15/16 seeds WOULD NOT be in the field if not for the automatic bid. If the field were purely at large those small conference teams would not have any teams.

My point is SJU got in on merit in 2010, 2013 and 2014.

Assume Cragg and Shanley have had several discussions on coaching situation and what kind of finish would dictate need for a change. Pretty sure if last nine games go similarly to the way the first 11 went, they will pull the trigger. Also agree they'd love to see a miracle finish that gets us dancing. Question in my wind is what happens if we finish 9-11 or 10-10 in BE and make the NIT rather than NCAA with 19 or 20 wins. I suspect CMA gets one more year in that case.
I would be extremely pleased if we finished 10-10 and somewhat pleased if we finished 9-11 in conference, but if we lose tonight I can't see either of those scenarios happening. With road games left at Marquette and Xavier, as well as road games with Georgetown, Butler and DePaul, plus home games against Providence, Creighton and UConn still remaining, it would be pretty unlikely that we would go 5-3 or 6-2 in those eight games if we lost tonight. If we win tonight, then the window remains open slightly, but we would still need to play at a level that we have not shown yet in order to get to 9-11. I am guessing that we would likely be underdogs in more than half of our remaining games, so a turnaround will demand us to elevate our level of play to something we have only seen this season in our road win against UConn. I hope we get there, but all logic says we will not. Lets start by beating the Hall tonight and then hope against hope for the best the rest of the way.

I would be extremely pleased if we finished 10-10 and somewhat pleased if we finished 9-11 in conference, but if we lose tonight I can't see either of those scenarios happening. With road games left at Marquette and Xavier as well as road games with Georgetown, Butler and DePaul plus home games against Providence, Creighton and UConn still remaining, it would be pretty unlikely that we would go 5-3 or 6-2 in those eight games if we lost tonight. If we win tonight, then the window remains open slightly but we would still need to play at a level that we have not shown yet in order to get to 9-11. I am guessing that we would likely be underdogs in more than half of our remaining games so a turnaround will demand us to elevate our level of play to something we have only seen this season in our road win against UConn. I hope we get there but all logic says we will not. Lets start by beating the Hall tonight and then hope against hope for the best.

SJU is 1-5 on road also, steep climb for them

Not sure where you get 6 wins with the games left. Maybe 5 if they win tonight. I can also see them losing all but 2...

CMA wants to get to 6 wins to keep his winning streak going. A win tonight all but locks it up although I am not expecting them to beat Seton Hall.

Here is the 2010 NIT under Norm, Notice there were 8 automatic bids to small conference teams everyone of them were 7 or 8 seeds except for Kent St who was a 4 (they were pretty strong in terms of their RPI). Many of those 7 teams in the OLD NIT would have almost certainly NOT been invited if the process was purely at large. Just like the NCAA is not really the best 68 teams as we know many of the 14/15/16 seeds WOULD NOT be in the field if not for the automatic bid. If the field were purely at large those small conference teams would not have any teams.

My point is SJU got in on merit in 2010, 2013 and 2014.

Correct. To clarify an oft mistaken point here automatic bids to conference champs who did not win their conference tourney and did not get an at large to the dance started with the 2007 tournament.

In 2010 there was one at large with a lower seed than SJU. In 2013 there were four at larges with lower seeds than SJU. In 2014 SJU was a #1 seed.

St Johns lost their easy in to the NIT when the NCAA bought the NIT in 2005 and SJU was no longer a member of the ownership group, the MIBA.

Not sure where you get 6 wins with the games left. Maybe 5 if they win tonight. I can also see them losing all but 2...
When this team is playing at their worst, the first Seton Hall game, both Villanova games, the game against Creighton and significant sections of the Georgetown game the team has definitely shown to be capable of losing all of their remaining nine games. However they have also shown some ability at other times, like the games on the road at Providence and UConn that they can be much better.

The maddening thing with this team has been the inconsistency within so many of their games that have allowed for huge runs against them to occur and wreck the game (14 to 0 at home against Georgetown, 17 to 2 at Iowa State to start the game, 20 to 2 at Villanova, 17 to 2 at Seton Hall, 19 to 5 at home against Villanova to finish out the game, 16 to 0 at home against Xavier and,16 to 2 at Creighton). These in game lapses speaks to deficiencies with offensive execution, defensive intensity, concentration level and plain effort level that have characterized this team. For better or worse the coaches and the players both are responsible for correcting this. It goes beyond a simple lack of talent IMHO. These type of runs happening against them goes deeper than just that. I have no answer of how to fix it, that is for the coaching staff to do, but if it continues to occur it will not be pretty.

Last edited:
That team was loaded. All the same guys as the Lavin team plus Mason Jr. I’ll never forget the Nova game I was at where Hardy was on fire on the first half. We had a big lead and Hardy must have had at least 15 points in the first half. Roberts didn’t bring him in to start the second half and by time he finally got back in the game, he was out of the flow and we ended up getting creamed. If Roberts would have featured/started Hardy and Brownlee like Lavin did, that team would have been an NCAA team as well. Instead, he buried them behind guys like Booth and Evans.
Was it versus Villanova or West Virginia? I'm not sure if Hardy went wild in the first half versus West Virginia, but I do remember blowing a big lead and getting walloped in the second half. I didn't watch the game but followed it via my phone.

CMA wants to get to 6 wins to keep his winning streak going. A win tonight all but locks it up although I am not expecting them to beat Seton Hall.
Where do you get 6 wins with the remaining sched? Especially the way we barely beat Gtown at home. I'll give you 1 tonight.
4 ranked teams + Creighton who is playing as good as anyone. In all honestly you can look at that and think we will win 5 of those?
I'm not sure that they will beat both Gtown & Depaul on the road. Can totally see them losing one of them.

@ 16 Xavier (L)
@ Butler (W???)
vs 17 Providence (W)
@ DePaul (W)
vs Creighton (L)
@ Georgetown (W)
vs 24 UConn (L)
@ 14 Marquette (L)

Back