Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Why do people think Cragg should be in trouble?
I'm not one who thinks Cragg should be sweating about his job. Anderson hire didn't work out but there weren't realistic better options at the time.
Certainly fair to criticize the extension, but none of us know whether the buy out in that contract is enough to tie the administration's hands. In my view both Cragg & Shanley should be judged based on what they do about the coaching situation at the end of this year. It's clear we need a change or team will lose money from the program rather than injecting money through better performance as Shanley referenced in the Torch article.

I understand the basketball program is important to the school but the AD has many more responsibilities then just going on twitter each day and responding to every yahoo that says the HC should be fired. And when he doesn't we should just fire him? So if he is a good fundraiser, overseas the strong health of the entire athletic department none of that matters.

Every hire by the AD has to work out or he gets fired along with the coach? Who makes that rule?

I always say this people are always great at spending OTHER people's money.

I thought we had something to look forward to and build upon during the second half of CMA's second season when it seemed like everything had clicked.

But then the roster turned over and we've been free falling ever since.

Oh well...
Agree with this 100% - after that second season, I thought we were in great shape. It's been one disappointment after another ever since.

Hard to argue w facts

True. Keep in mind Seton Hall has 7 wins this year 6 are against SJU (2), Butler (2) Georgetown and DePaul. Their only other win is against UCONN at home in a game they trailed by 17 and led for exactly 2 seconds the entire game and won on a last second shot that Danny Hurley missed because of COVID.

Here is what is disturbing and why they need to get the search right. Remember they fired Lavin after having a league record over 5 years of 46-44 including 10-8 the last two years. And I had no problem with that. None. I liked the fact they expected better.

But look at the last 8 years with no NCAA sanctions. No scholarship reductions. Meaning no recruiting restrictions. Mullin: 20-52 and Anderson: 27-41. 1 winning league season in 20-21 at 10-9 when they played in empty gyms. Combine it that is 47-93 (essentially a 33% winning percentage) with 7 losing seasons in 8 years. 1 NCAA play-in game. Now since we are currently in the 8th season there is still a possibility they have a winning season although there is basically a .000001 chance of that happening. So I am going to assume this season will not be a winning league season.

That is a disgrace. That is worse then Norm because at least Norm could argue the first 2-3 years were going to be near impossible with recruiting and post-season sanctions.

The school should fee embarrassed and should understand this can't continue. You messed up in 2015 choosing Mullin over Hurley and messed up not considering Pitino in 2019.

The win and loss record as well as the no bid history are part of Anderson’s failure and they both are connected to his failure in player development. Players entering SJU at eighteen years of age are expected to improve during their stay over the three or four years they remain at the school.
It is a rarity that Anderson’s players show any significant improvement over the years. Champ is the exception who blossomed from year one to year two and then fell back in year three. Soriano has improved tremendously in his SJU stay but I suspect that is mainly due to his conditioning efforts.
Stanley, Nyiwe, Pinzon and Traore are no better now than when they entered SJU. Posh is worse. Curbello and Jones were talented but erratic players entering SJU and remain the same.
They all were non shooters entering SJU and still are. Almost all rosters show an improvement in foul shooting over the years. Not SJU. This Anderson era rivals the Norm era for inefficiency. Get the search party for a new going for a new coach going.

Gonna be a tough couple years ahead... can't say we aren't used to it after the last 20... I see it playing out two ways:
1. We retain CMA...watch him blunder through another season or two here...He has shown that he cannot compete against formidable competition in the BE, so i doubt the addition of Gardener and improvement of Storr helps any. Eventually get a new coach in two years
2. We let CMA go- pay whatever the buy-out is- with the limited budget- settle on a low-major coach or some high-level assistant. See exodus of players/de-commits and a 1st-year Mullin-esque season.

Hopefully I am surprised, but extremely tough for one's outlook to be optimistic with our Program's precedent.

Anyone responsible for initiating the extending of Anderson needs to go. If Cragg just acceded to the Bd of Trustees, then he gets a pass. If he was the promoter, then he needs to go. Stick a fork in CMA, he's overdone.

Turns out Cragg is a genius for approving the easy out of conference schedule.

Can you imagine what the record would have been like if the team had even an average schedule?

We can safely predict the obliteration of Anderson’s streak of never having a losing season.

Maybe Cragg was doing Anderson a favor. At least Anderson can pack his bags while keeping the meaningless streak alive.

I would have them all tied for last place. Haven’t made a good hire since Lou retired. The record and track record of all the hires time at St. John’s proves it.

Back