Mike Anderson - Former Coach

I applaud anyone who puts Jarvis last on this list, that is where he belongs. I would put Fran as #1 ahead of Lavin, and Mullin ahead of Mahoney. No one had a better starting point than Mahoney and did less with it. Many of these coaches had lousy starting points (Norm. Lavin, Mullin & Anderson) and should be evaluated accordingly.
Lavin started with a full and talented roster. He was not in the same boat as Norm, Mullin and Anderson.

Mahoney, Lavin and Jarvis started with a lot of talent on the roster.

I applaud anyone who puts Jarvis last on this list, that is where he belongs. I would put Fran as #1 ahead of Lavin, and Mullin ahead of Mahoney. No one had a better starting point than Mahoney and did less with it. Many of these coaches had lousy starting points (Norm. Lavin, Mullin & Anderson) and should be evaluated accordingly.
Mahoney first year he might have done most with less than any other coach we have had btw

What are people's thoughts on Speedy? Missed him coming out of CTK... Missed the last Hofstra coach that became great... has been involved in college scouting with the Warriors then on Hofstra staff since 2013... Has them rolling this year and finished 3rd in conf last season.

That hire would have me excited for the future.

This is correct. In addition, Mike Anderson has done a lot of winning and has a good record overall, including plenty of tourney appearances…just not here at SJU.

That isn’t an endorsement of Mike Anderson, but let’s face it, he is not nearly as bad as most of the coaches we have had. He’s a good man as well. That said, I think the game has passed his style by. Game has changed a bit and we also aren’t landing the types of scorers that are requisite for his style to work. Good man and solid coach. He’s certainly no Norm nor Mahoney, but he has done very mediocre here at sju and once again this season doesn’t look like we are sniffing the tourney.
When you have a 27-40 conference record in 4 years, I'm not sure I would even call that mediocre.

What are people's thoughts on Speedy? Missed him coming out of CTK... Missed the last Hofstra coach that became great... has been involved in college scouting with the Warriors then on Hofstra staff since 2013... Has them rolling this year and finished 3rd in conf last season.

He’s not mentioned much but you know he will become a super hot name if he parlays this early success to an ncaa appearance. NBA pedigree but with close to a decade already spend in college coaching ranks. There has been worse candidates. He’d probably be an nba guy if he ever has super success at college HM level. Not that losing a coach due to success is a fear of mine, someday I hope it happens lol.

I agree with previous response. Speedy needs to win at least one conference tournament, maybe two.

Lavin started with a full and talented roster. He was not in the same boat as Norm, Mullin and Anderson.

Mahoney, Lavin and Jarvis started with a lot of talent on the roster.
You are right about Lavn starting with a full roster his 1st year, but he had to replace the whole roster in his 2nd year because of poor roster balance. He did a good job rebuilding it, but left the cuppard bare when he left.

OK Legit question. Anyone on this board think CMA should NOT be fired after this season?

OK Legit question. Anyone on this board think CMA should NOT be fired after this season?
The team has underperformed for 2 years and the '23 recruiting class is underwhelming to say the least. Outside of the school not wanting to pay his buyout, I can't think of a reason why he deserves to be on the sidelines next season.

Ugh... i was definitely supportive of the Hire when it happened- esp after the perceived disaster of a process. To land a coach that had success at each of his stops, no Losing season (yes- i was sold on that). Thought he seemed like he brought a strong work ethic and professionalism that seemed not to exist during the Mullin era...

He seemed to do more with less his first two years. Got 2 under-recruited NYC guys to lead the team - i liked that make-up. His teams always seemed to compete and fight every game (will have to look back- but i don't remember the team getting blown out with seemingly inferior talent).

The under achievement last season now coupled with a team that seems so disjointed this late in a season, with the expectations CMA set himself... is just such a letdown.... Not sure how rebounds from this IF* he is retained... It's not like the team is losing games by a couple points... they've been defeated handily in most of the BE losses (while having Leads in most of those games!)

Will CMA magically improve his coaching ability next season? he returned a lot of his roster this season... Will Gardner / Yaxel/ Reede be the missing pieces and make up for the Mathis/Soriano loss.... i don't see it.... I see more of the same if he comes back...

Mike Anderson, St. John’s
Record: 64-50 (4th season), 27-41 Big East
Contract: In 2021 signed a new six-year deal through 2027

Anderson was fired at the ideal job for him at Arkansas, so it’s not exactly shocking he hasn’t been able to get it done in Queens. The Johnnies are 4-8 in Big East play and likely to go 0-for-4 in his four seasons at the helm in terms of NCAA tourney appearances. Even Chris Mullin got the program to the First Four in his fourth season. If Anderson winds up getting one more year, it’ll be more of the same.

Needs to get to the tourney. I like him a lot. High Quality person

Agreed on Jarvis. Mahoney ended up not being a good coach but he did continue to bring in great talent. Does that make him more or less worthy? Felipe, Zendon, Ty, McCleod. I'd put him above Mullin due to his A for effort. But he definitely was the hire that ended STJ's period of consistency and stunted the program to this day. I'm conflicted.

Counterpoint on Lavin: Having a roster with NINE seniors means a major rebuild job begins in Year 2.
Seriously, once Polee transferred the only returning player was Stith and he quite after half of the season.

Back