Mike Anderson - Former Coach

I understand the basketball program is important to the school but the AD has many more responsibilities then just going on twitter each day and responding to every yahoo that says the HC should be fired. And when he doesn't we should just fire him? So if he is a good fundraiser, overseas the strong health of the entire athletic department none of that matters.

Every hire by the AD has to work out or he gets fired along with the coach? Who makes that rule?

I always say this people are always great at spending OTHER people's money.
And, moving on from both would delay the coaching search as I’m sure a new AD would want a say in new hire

Mike Anderson, St. John’s
Record: 64-50 (4th season), 27-41 Big East
Contract: In 2021 signed a new six-year deal through 2027

Anderson was fired at the ideal job for him at Arkansas, so it’s not exactly shocking he hasn’t been able to get it done in Queens. The Johnnies are 4-8 in Big East play and likely to go 0-for-4 in his four seasons at the helm in terms of NCAA tourney appearances. Even Chris Mullin got the program to the First Four in his fourth season. If Anderson winds up getting one more year, it’ll be more of the same.

Would need to have a top 20 class coming in to justify another year ($ aside)b

Pretty sure Johnny Rapper wants him back.

Correct, back in Arkansas, not necessarily at the school.

I know I may get allot of pushback for this among the Anderson defenders that are reaching for straws but I think Anderson gets too much credit for being a “good guy”. If you had someone working for you who had a serious heart condition that required surgery, would you fire him?

DeMeo is accusing coach Mike Anderson and St. John's of terminating him due to a heart problem called mitral valve prolapse, which required surgery in August 2020.Sep 23, 2021

And if you did have to let him go for lack of production, would you not offer support knowing the circumstance of his illness? There are some associated with the program that will tell you that Anderson was anything but supportive during DeMeo’s crisis.

And for those who believe that DeMeo may have been slacking off in his duties. Why would a guy with a stellar reputation, a National JUCO coach of the year with other accolades that was looking to further his career be slacking off?

Of course like many things in the past, Cragg and the administration shoved the entire incident under the rug hoping (which it seemed to) it would go away but the illness and surgery were real.

Agreed on Jarvis. Mahoney ended up not being a good coach but he did continue to bring in great talent. Does that make him more or less worthy? Felipe, Zendon, Ty, McCleod. I'd put him above Mullin due to his A for effort. But he definitely was the hire that ended STJ's period of consistency and stunted the program to this day. I'm conflicted.
Mahoney landed Lavor Postell as well.

Correct, back in Arkansas, not necessarily at the school.

I know I may get allot of pushback for this among the Anderson defenders that are reaching for straws but I think Anderson gets too much credit for being a “good guy”. If you had someone working for you who had a serious heart condition that required surgery, would you fire him?

DeMeo is accusing coach Mike Anderson and St. John's of terminating him due to a heart problem called mitral valve prolapse, which required surgery in August 2020.Sep 23, 2021

And if you did have to let him go for lack of production, would you not offer support knowing the circumstance of his illness? There are some associated with the program that will tell you that Anderson was anything but supportive during DeMeo’s crisis.

And for those who believe that DeMeo may have been slacking off in his duties. Why would a guy with a stellar reputation, a National JUCO coach of the year with other accolades that was looking to further his career be slacking off?

Of course like many things in the past, Cragg and the administration shoved the entire incident under the rug hoping (which it seemed to) it would go away but the illness and surgery were real.
You are 💯 percent accurate on the Demeo situation. He was terminated WITHOUT CAUSE by Anderson. As was Special Assistant Ron Brown. He too was called in and without cause was terminated by Anderson. Both terminations were blessed by Cragg and the Administration. That is why it is so perplexingly why everyone says Anderson is such a nice guy and gives him a pass.

What I can't understand is what did CMA do to merit a contract extension?
And why was it kept hush hush for so long?
He hasn't had a whiff of a post season bid of any kind in 3 years at the helm and is trending the same way this season
I like Cragg and thought he was doing a decent job but this decision is a certainly a head scratcher for me

You are 💯 percent accurate on the Demeo situation. He was terminated WITHOUT CAUSE by Anderson. As was Special Assistant Ron Brown. He too was called in and without cause was terminated by Anderson. Both terminations were blessed by Cragg and the Administration. That is why it is so perplexingly why everyone says Anderson is such a nice guy and gives him a pass.
Oh wow, I didn't know that, nice guys don't do that. Don't know if he is or not, but in my opinion that sounds like a pos to me.

He hasn't had a whiff of a post season bid of any kind in 3 years at the helm and is trending the same way this season
I like Cragg and thought he was doing a decent job but this decision is a certainly a head scratcher for me
He didn't do a damn thing. What it was, was a pray and hope that Anderson would succeed and get us to the dance by now, and Cragg would look good for extending him. It didn't work out as he planned and now he looks mightily stupid. Oh well.

He didn't do a damn thing. What it was, was a pray and hope that Anderson would succeed and get us to the dance by now, and Cragg would look good for extending him. It didn't work out as he planned and now he looks mightily stupid. Oh well

The decision for any extension was not made by Cragg alone.

Does anyone know the terms? Maybe it’s an extension on its face only with some hurdles that school,can terminate with no penalty or buyout if he fails to meet certain hurdles like make tournament or stay above .500?

The decision for any extension was not made by Cragg alone.
Of course not BUT it was Cragg who alone initiated the thought of an extension and brought it to Oliva and others. And for what reason? Anderson was not then or ever will be pursued by another college program, and did nothing to earn an extension.

OK Legit question. Anyone on this board think CMA should NOT be fired after this season?
I do not have a definitive answer to this question. I will readily admit that I question Anderson's player rotations and his evaluation of individual player talent. I criticize his in game decisions. However. I am a big believer that the talent and basketball IQ of our players is low. Some here blame the coach for the players that he recruited. I am not one of those. We are not Duke or Kentucky etc. who can pick who they want to recruit. Any coach at St. John's for the past 20 years + recruit the best kids they can and hope for the best. Sometimes the best doesn't turn out to be that good. That's where we are now. I am not qualified to ask for a coach to be fired, which is why I never do. I will support Coach Anderson until he is no longer coach. Then I will support the next coach, But in the interim, I will praise or criticize Coach Anderson on a game to game basis.

Do you guys enjoy rubbing it in the fact that CMA hasn't worked? I don't. Really kind of sad.
NCJ, it isn't just cma, yeah Jarvis got them to the elite8, but it was Frans kids, so I'm going to include Mike it this:

Jarvis hasn't work, Lavin hasn't worked, Mullin hasn't worked, and now CMA hasn't.
No NCAA wins in 23 years is it now??? I'm just real sick and tired of the same old bs year after year and coach after coach, Meanwhile you get schools like PC going every year, and they'll be going again this year.
Is it to much to ask for us to do that.

If we just started being crap since CMA took over, just maybe i'd have more patience, as my patience with SJU is totally shot I'll admit.

Do I enjoy being a joke in the B.E. for the last 2 decades? Nah I don't, it really freaking sucks.

Concur. I don't care for a coaching change every four or five years. It shows the university can't get things right. Some people are wired differently and get off on the negativity.
You got my Dinkins, I'm not allowed to by disgusted with the basketball program, guess I should just fall in line.
YESSSSSS SIR.

And let me add, Anderson is on his 3rd Strength Coach in 4 years. He fired a nationally well respected man WITHOUT CAUSE after serving our program for 5 years. That too was rubber stamped by Cragg. Anderson then hired the women's strength coach from Tennessee who promptly left the team after only 6 months to go to Butler. Now he is on his third strength coach. Tough man to work for Maybe?

Back