Mike Anderson - Former Coach

There is a reasonable level of fan agreement that CMA is not the guy to get the program back on track. So the next items to unfold seem;

1. Does Father Shanley have the $ to support a full buyout? I think not.

2. Would CMA compromise on the guaranteed $ to a degree acceptable to both parties knowing next season won’t likely be better than this one? Seems unlikely, but possible.

3. Would fan support further erode if CMA returns for fifth season? Hard to believe it wouldn’t. I would not be shocked to see an encore however.

4. In event CMA exits, what are the roster and recruiting commitment impacts? There will be fallout in this transfer mania age, but to what extent will probably depend who the new HC is and what opportunities materialize at other programs. There is usually pain in these situations, but it is price you pay for betterment hopefully.

There will be a lot of moving pieces at season’s end for sure.
Have you heard something recently Paultz to make you think buyout is too much of departure is less likely?

I just heard affirmation from solid guy that the $ number is indeed steep, as noted recently by a few posters as I recall.
Kind of always my opinion that Anderson wouldn’t have a low buyout off this extension. Why agree to one that wasn’t beneficial to him. Such a dumb decision from the outside, but who knows what the inner details were and why it happened when it did.

I just heard affirmation from solid guy that the $ number is indeed steep, as noted recently by a few posters as I recall.
Everybody that played a key role in that buyout number being steep is more incompetent at their jobs than Mike Anderson and should face similar consequences but of course they won’t.

Even after the BE COY award Anderson had little leverage to warrant such a absurd buyout. Extensions of that nature usually include increased buyouts on both ends but Anderson wasn’t going to get poached by an SEC school after getting fired from Arkansas and Musselman immediately improving their recruiting and on court results.

That said, by reading between the lines of the comments by Shanley and Cragg recently I don’t think the buyout will prevent them from making a change after this season. Had the buyout truly been too high of a hurdle to clear I think their recent comments would have made it clear that they are fully committed to Anderson over the next few years rather than the “We support him right now but we’ll evaluate the situation after the season” statement they did make. I could be totally off base on that but I think if they knew they were stuck with Anderson for a few more years they would have made it more evident in their statements.

Everybody that played a key role in that buyout number being steep is more incompetent at their jobs than Mike Anderson and should face similar consequences but of course they won’t.

Even after the BE COY award Anderson had little leverage to warrant such a absurd buyout. Extensions of that nature usually include increased buyouts on both ends but Anderson wasn’t going to get poached by an SEC school after getting fired from Arkansas and Musselman immediately improving their recruiting and on court results.

That said, by reading between the lines of the comments by Shanley and Cragg recently I don’t think the buyout will prevent them from making a change after this season. Had the buyout truly been too high of a hurdle to clear I think their recent comments would have made it clear that they are fully committed to Anderson over the next few years rather than the “We support him right now but we’ll evaluate the situation after the season” statement they did make. I could be totally off base on that but I think if they knew they were stuck with Anderson for a few more years they would have made it more evident in their statements.

Agree regarding the incompetence for all those involved In this ridiculous extension. Anderson was COY in a COVID year when to the staffs credit, no one got sick and there was never a halt to their season. However all other Big East teams had issues so Anderson was fortunate and took advantage of that. However, no one was fooled by the bogus record as many pointed out, the BiG East was so weak that year that a 4th place finish didn’t get the team an invite to the Dance. And being that post season play is the standard by which success is measured, how the F did Cragg suggest an extension. What a complete idiotic move on his part.

If Anderson goes, it should be a package deal to include Mr. Incompetent M. Cragg.

President Shanley and AD Cragg know what should be done but do not know how to accompli$h it.

Well one thing that may help is to get Mike Repole back on board, another screw up by our esteemed (see I didn’t call him an idiot) athletic director.

How many CYO teams will be on the OCC schedule next season? :unsure:

Back to coaches:

I see a lot of people listing Lavin near the top of our coaches since Louie but let’s not let recency bias affect your memory. Lavin was a great recruiter and a good person, but there were reasons he was let go. He was pretty awful at X’s and O’s and in game coaching. Do you guys remember the timeouts he would call while we were on a big run killing our momentum? While he was a good recruiter, that came with a lot of sketchy tactics and recruiting questionable characters (many ineligible kids, parking lot transcripts and more). While he was a lame duck coach that last season, just stopping your job of recruiting also put the program back a year or two as well.

With that being said, I would still take him over his replacement any day of the week.

And for those calling CMA our worst coach in recent history, he did win BE coach of the year, never had a bad season, has been very good at player development and has been much better at recruiting “good” kids compared to recent coaches limiting “scandals”.

And now with that being said, I look forward to seeing who his replacement will be soon.
Player development? Most of the team has regressed

I wonder if the buyout is steep enough to risk having 3k attendance every home game next year.
I can't vouch for the accuracy, but an old friend, who is a season ticket holder, informed this morning that he was told by someone in athletic dept. that the buyout number was Eight Million. Can anyone confirm?

How often are AD's even fired by colleges and universities? I admittedly don't follow that type of thing. But this isn't a major sports program where you fire the GM if the team doesn't win.

I can't vouch for the accuracy, but an old friend, who is a season ticket holder, informed this morning that he was told by someone in athletic dept. that the buyout number was Eight Million. Can anyone confirm?
No. I have no idea what the buyout is but looking at contracts of coaches of state colleges where that is typically freely available that seems very possible. That would be 4 years at about 3 million each which is the salary I have seen mentioned on here. Multiply that 12 million by a 66 percent buyout and you get 8 million which is entirely plausible.

No. I have no idea what the buyout is but looking at contracts of coaches of state colleges where that is typically freely available that seems very possible. That would be 4 years at about 3 million each which is the salary I have seen mentioned on here. Multiply that 12 million by a 66 percent buyout and you get 8 million which is entirely plausible.
If I win the Powerball, I'll pay it.

Back