Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Fire his nephew first and see what he does.

That's what school should have done with Jarvis. Fire his son first and see if dad resigns in anger so you don't have to pay.
No a coach needs be able to pick his staff. If SJU and Cragg have such a problem with his staff then the problem is not the staff it is the HC. He is either your HC or he isn't. If he is your HC then he picks his staff, if you don't want him to pick his staff then he should not be your HC. Period.

No a coach needs be able to pick his staff. If SJU and Cragg have such a problem with his staff then the problem is not the staff it is the HC. He is either your HC or he isn't. If he is your HC then he picks his staff, if you don't want him to pick his staff then he should not be your HC. Period.
That's how organizations deliver the message that the coach is no longer wanted hoping such a move will force the coach to step down and negotiate a lower buy out which is the stumbling block (high buyout) for not out and out firing him.

BTW-Mike Anderson is a cautionary tale of High Major coaches who have had relatively solid to good success who get fired for performance for the first time. Be careful about the next job you take. Make sure it is the right situation. I think Mike jumped at the SJU job thinking this was probably it for him at this level.

Rick Barnes is an exception having really good success at Tennessee after him and Texas parted ways after a lot of success but the last few years the program went a bit sideways. Still pretty good.

Recent examples of things not going well as a second act include Howland to Miss St after his run at Pitt and UCLA then being fired from UCLA. Tom Crean at Marquette and Indiana then being fired from IU and taking the Georgia job after which he went belly up there. Once you get fired a SECOND time for performance going to be very hard to find another high major job.

Mark Turgeon from Maryland and Chris Mack from Louisville are going to be very selective on their next job.

Fire his nephew first and see what he does.

That's what school should have done with Jarvis. Fire his son first and see if dad resigns in anger so you don't have to pay.
But what if he is planning to step down after the season, but then because you fired his nephew before the season is over, ok the school wants to do that, ok I'm going to play hardball and stay to make them buy me out.

But what if he is planning to step down after the season, but then because you fired his nephew before the season is over, ok the school wants to do that, ok I'm going to play hardball and stay to make them buy me out.
Do you think he'll step down? He's apparently too stubborn to listen to the two guys doing all the recruiting.

Do you think he'll step down? He's apparently too stubborn to listen to the two guys doing all the recruiting.
There's no way he's going to step down and pass up on the millions of dollars he'll get if he's fired instead, and he shouldn't. If I was in Anderson's position they could fire my nephew and ban my wife from going to the games and I'm still not quitting until they give me every penny I'm owed.

If it’s true the assistants brought up changing strategies. And Mike totally scoffed at them. It’s speaks to a lack of self awareness of the teams play. In the beginning of the year a few posters were mentioning the lack of fundamentals on both sides of the ball. They were correct in bringing it up.
The team should just press the rest of the year, go full out. It would be interesting to see if it could work. Because that’s all Mike knows “make it a street fight”.
Mike is stuck on his philosophies of play that do not work anymore. Why not try something else. He is so stubborn that he would drown the boat when he could have grabbed a bucket and saved the ship. That is the height of arrogance,if you ask me.

There is a reasonable level of fan agreement that CMA is not the guy to get the program back on track. So the next items to unfold seem;

1. Does Father Shanley have the $ to support a full buyout? I think not.

2. Would CMA compromise on the guaranteed $ to a degree acceptable to both parties knowing next season won’t likely be better than this one? Seems unlikely, but possible.

3. Would fan support further erode if CMA returns for fifth season? Hard to believe it wouldn’t. I would not be shocked to see an encore however.

4. In event CMA exits, what are the roster and recruiting commitment impacts? There will be fallout in this transfer mania age, but to what extent will probably depend who the new HC is and what opportunities materialize at other programs. There is usually pain in these situations, but it is price you pay for betterment hopefully.

There will be a lot of moving pieces at season’s end for sure.
Just can't imagine what the crowds will look like if CMA is brought back for a 5th season.

Even if they did a staff shake up, it would be the definition of a dead program.

Whether he is fired or not at the end of the season, we're probably going to have a lot of action with guys leaving and de-committing. Unless it's Pitino or another very high profile coach.

From a local guy affiliated w a program that’s sent some talent to SJU

- Cragg is very well liked/respected in the department and isn’t going anywhere. They understand the task he took over and he’s gonna get time, regardless of what happens w mike

- Anderson is gone. If they swing and miss on the big fish don’t be surprised if they turn to a guy like Woj (pure speculation!!!) who is given a 3 year window w the understanding that they’re starting fresh (think winning w transfers to spur recruiting)

- he thought Capel would get the job if Pitt tanked this season but that’s not the case

- Iona believes Pitino is headed to one of 2 places (easy guesses)

- whether he stays or goes, at least 3 kids are headed out

- don’t be surprised if a BE school up north makes a run at our PG…

Again this is just the educated opinion of a person within the know but where’s there is smoke there is fire

From a local guy affiliated w a program that’s sent some talent to SJU

- Cragg is very well liked/respected in the department and isn’t going anywhere. They understand the task he took over and he’s gonna get time, regardless of what happens w mike

- Anderson is gone. If they swing and miss on the big fish don’t be surprised if they turn to a guy like Woj (pure speculation!!!) who is given a 3 year window w the understanding that they’re starting fresh (think winning w transfers to spur recruiting)

- he thought Capel would get the job if Pitt tanked this season but that’s not the case

- Iona believes Pitino is headed to one of 2 places (easy guesses)

- whether he stays or goes, at least 3 kids are headed out

- don’t be surprised if a BE school up north makes a run at our PG…

Again this is just the educated opinion of a person within the know but where’s there is smoke there is fire
Everything you heard makes sense. However, if SJU hires Pitino, any player who is thinking about transferring will take a long pause before deciding either way.

And if a player or multiple players transfer, I think it would be safe to say quality replacements will be brought in.

So your source thought Capel would get the SJU job if he had another bad year? So we would hire a guy coming off two terrible seasons? What? This is why Cragg does nothing for me. He probably thinks this is a brilliant idea. Just keep dipping into his Duke connections and get another below avg coach.
Good point.

There is no defending Cragg if his candidates are only failed coaches with Duke ties.

Anderson got an extension off that better than expected season where we came in 4th vs. preseason expectation of 9th.

At that time I believe the sentiment was that he needed the extension to help with recruiting.... Reality is we got Storr & Gardner in two classes since then which is good, but that's about it. Anderson was not going to recruit much better than that.

I really hope it was more about perception for recruiting and that there was high protections coming off of Slice contract fiasco. Fr. Shanley was in charge here so not confident he sees or has interest in a change unless buyout is easily digestible.

Just want season over...

Last edited:
I wouldn’t want Capel but he’s always recruited well and took over a program that was winless. Just an opinion of someone not gospel.

Next hire will be “blessed” by Shanley so Cragg is getting another shot so to speak

Pitt was a sewer when Capel took over. They had to beg him to take that job (he could've stayed with K and waited for a better situation).

He was always going to get a long leash. The high buyout was to entice him when almost no one wanted that job.
And our program was in good shape when CMA took over? Weren’t we publicly rejected by at least three candidates?

Back