Mike Anderson - Former Coach

BTW-Mike Anderson is a cautionary tale of High Major coaches who have had relatively solid to good success who get fired for performance for the first time. Be careful about the next job you take. Make sure it is the right situation. I think Mike jumped at the SJU job thinking this was probably it for him at this level.

Rick Barnes is an exception having really good success at Tennessee after him and Texas parted ways after a lot of success but the last few years the program went a bit sideways. Still pretty good.

Recent examples of things not going well as a second act include Howland to Miss St after his run at Pitt and UCLA then being fired from UCLA. Tom Crean at Marquette and Indiana then being fired from IU and taking the Georgia job after which he went belly up there. Once you get fired a SECOND time for performance going to be very hard to find another high major job.

Mark Turgeon from Maryland and Chris Mack from Louisville are going to be very selective on their next job.
Truth is, the sju job has a terrible reputation among coaches for good reason and most will be quite wary of taking this job.

Truth is, the sju job has a terrible reputation among coaches for good reason and most will be quite wary of taking this job.
Think we targeted the wrong candidates. Trust me, to a good, young mid major coach who's making a couple of hundred Gs per year, SJU is a damn good job. To a Moser type coach, who has a good gig and knows he can stay where he is till the right job opens up at a state school, not so much.

One good hire can change that.

Say for example Pitino comes here and 5 years from now decides to move on but only after consistently putting SJU in the NCAA tournament.

I think it will be easier to hire a good coach at that point.

I don't see Anderson resigning, short of a health issue. He's probably owed $10 million or more through 2027. Why would he resign? I also don't see a white knight riding in to rescue us. The only chance that I see for SJU is to hire some really sharp assistants and re-define CMA's role. Maybe his ego will force him to resign. Failing that, CMA will be the head coach through 2027.

I'm still not sure that 2 bad years, after a solid career and 2 good years here, is enough for CMA to get his walking papers. I still firmly believe that Shanley and Cragg are praying(literally) for a nice finish(win 5 of last 9) so they can say "we finished strong and are really looking forward to next season"

One good hire can change that.

Say for example Pitino comes here and 5 years from now decides to move on but only after consistently putting SJU in the NCAA tournament.

I think it will be easier to hire a good coach at that point.
Agree, but IMO the only place Pitino will be looking to move on to(if he is our coach) is a nursing home

I am sure he could recruit good veteran players there too.

I’m not 100% sold that Pitino would get a bunch of 5 stars to come here. Will all depend on the assistants he brings in. Coaching would be an upgrade if he still wants to get after it.

Go check out the Pitino to Iona thread. Many posters here were afraid he was going to out recruit St. John’s for recruits. Hasn’t happened.

I’m not 100% sold that Pitino would get a bunch of 5 stars to come here. Will all depend on the assistants he brings in. Coaching would be an upgrade if he still wants to get after it.

Go check out the Pitino to Iona thread. Many posters here were afraid he was going to out recruit St. John’s for recruits. Hasn’t happened.

How has Pitino's recruiting been at Iona? Has it at least been the best in that conference?

I don't see Anderson resigning, short of a health issue. He's probably owed $10 million or more through 2027. Why would he resign? I also don't see a white knight riding in to rescue us. The only chance that I see for SJU is to hire some really sharp assistants and re-define CMA's role. Maybe his ego will force him to resign. Failing that, CMA will be the head coach through 2027.
So you really think even if he finished last for the next two or three years they would keep him for all 4 years remaining on his contract even if by then the pay out would be a couple of million? I want what you’re smoking and or drinking Knight. Come back to us.

So your source thought Capel would get the SJU job if he had another bad year? So we would hire a guy coming off two terrible seasons? What? This is why Cragg does nothing for me. He probably thinks this is a brilliant idea. Just keep dipping into his Duke connections and get another below avg coach.
That part is BS.

Let's play hypothetical and say Pitt struggled again this year and Capel was fired at season's end.

If Cragg ever thought he could fire Anderson and hire a twice fired Capel coming off 5 straight losing seasons at Pitt and sell that as an upgrade then he would literally be the dumbest AD and there would be riots on Utopia Pkwy.

So you really think even if he finished last for the next two or three years they would keep him for all 4 years remaining on his contract even if by then the pay out would be a couple of million? I want what you’re smoking and or drinking Knight. Come back to us.
No way they keep him if he finished at the bottom of the conference even this season. However right now we are 8th, and a half game out of 7th. Where the mighty Nova team currently sits, and which is solidly middle-of-the-pack. If we finish anywhere north of 9th place, especially if we finish above Nova, I see that as giving Cragg/Shanley the excuse they need to keep CMA for at least one more season.

No way they keep him if he finished at the bottom of the conference even this season. However right now we are 8th, and a half game out of 7th. Where the mighty Nova team currently sits, and which is solidly middle-of-the-pack. If we finish anywhere north of 9th place, especially if we finish above Nova, I see that as giving Cragg/Shanley the excuse they need to keep CMA for at least one more season.
Sad but true. With a couple of decent recruits in the pipeline, you. can see the case Anderson will make that he needs another season. And given the money involved in a buyout, easy to see how SJU will buy it.

Sad but true. With a couple of decent recruits in the pipeline, you. can see the case Anderson will make that he needs another season. And given the money involved in a buyout, easy to see how SJU will buy it.
They are also 1 game out of 10th and nowhere near being an NCAA team.

The semantics of finishing 7th or 10th when in all likelihood no more than a game or 2 will separate those spots is not the standard. Everyone knew the standard was NCAAs or at worst be on the bubble.

If you go back to his last year at Arkansas this will be 5 straight years of missing NCAAs. You can't sell another year based on 1 top 75 recruit coming in and they finished 1 game out of 7th....

if CMA returns (which I believe is likely) it is because of the buyout.

Shanley and Cragg know what should be done but likely will not have the money to do it.

I agree. Pitino will bring 5 star players here the same way Slice brought them here. The blue blood programs just have too many advantages. Whitmore was Nova's first 5 star recruit. That should tell you something. But that's not a big deal. Pitino doesn't need 5 star recruits. A few 4 stars and some good transfers and he will be fine. He knows how to win. That's what matters.

I agree. Pitino will bring 5 star players here the same way Slice brought them here. The blue blood programs just have too many advantages. Whitmore was Nova's first 5 star recruit. That should tell you something. But that's not a big deal. Pitino doesn't need 5 star recruits. A few 4 stars and some good transfers and he will be fine. He knows how to win. That's what matters.
Assistants are only as good as the coach they are working for. Not the other way around. The connections help, the foot in the door helps, but it all comes down to the head coach. Take the blue blood out of it, Slice with Cal closing is going to be a lot more successful than Slice with Mullin closing, no matter the school.

Same goes for the coaching aspect. AC could have all the right suggestions, ideas, and drills. If the HC doesn’t use those and implement them as their own, the message will get lost to the kids. I don’t look at our failures this year and assume our AC’s are clueless. And im not surprised by Paultz mention that their suggestions are getting shut out.

Good assistant coaches are very important, but no where near as important as a good head coach. A good coach can win with bad assistants. Great assistant with a bad coach, still gonna be a bad team.

if CMA returns (which I believe is likely) it is because of the buyout.

Shanley and Cragg know what should be done but likely will not have the money to do it.
If Anderson returns, no matter what the reason, it is an abysmal failure.

The only way the buyout becomes a problem is if the names thrown around as replacements are equally as uninspiring. I agree that no one is going to pony up just to bring in Steve Wojciechowski.

Not about bringing in a bunch of 5 stars. If Pitino is coaching this roster, they are in the NCAA Tournament discussion.

Back