Mike Anderson - Former Coach

I agree. Pitino will bring 5 star players here the same way Slice brought them here. The blue blood programs just have too many advantages. Whitmore was Nova's first 5 star recruit. That should tell you something. But that's not a big deal. Pitino doesn't need 5 star recruits. A few 4 stars and some good transfers and he will be fine. He knows how to win. That's what matters.
All we need is for Pitino to get the same kids here that Matt got here, and he'll win. That's a very doable task. In fact, his first hire should be Matt. They'd make a perfect team.

If Anderson returns, no matter what the reason, it is an abysmal failure.

The only way the buyout becomes a problem is if the names thrown around as replacements are equally as uninspiring. I agree that no one is going to pony up just to bring in Steve Wojciechowski.
Honestly Kranmars, I would be fine with cutting ties with CMA, and rolling the dice with a young mid-major coach who the school could pay a lot less then CMA. The reduction in salary will offset CMA's buyout. At least we'll all have hope again. Right now, all hope is gone.

Honestly Kranmars, I would be fine with cutting ties with CMA, and rolling the dice with a young mid-major coach who the school could pay a lot less than CMA. The reduction in salary will offset CMA's buyout. At least we'll all have hope again. Right now, all hope is gone.
While I agree with your premise, I am not confident the university will hire the right young mid major coach.

I’m just speculating but , I can’t believe the very rich Anderson buy out was given without any Performance goals or achievements attached as part of the Contract . For example , the buyout reduces by 1/2 in year 4 if the Team does not make the NCAA? It’s hard to believe any of a Coach’s contract doesn’t have any standards of Winning attached . That would be just dumb .

I’m just speculating but , I can’t believe the very rich Anderson buy out was given without any Performance goals or achievements attached as part of the Contract . For example , the buyout reduces by 1/2 in year 4 if the Team does not make the NCAA? It’s hard to believe any of a Coach’s contract doesn’t have any standards of Winning attached . That would be just dumb .

Then you don’t understand coaching contracts and buyouts. Universities can fire with cause and not pay a buyout but that has nothing to do with on court performances.

Google Kevin Ollie and UConn. UConn fired Ollie saying he breached his contract with some minor infractions. Ollie sued and won.

While I agree with your premise, I am not confident the university will hire the right young mid major coach.
Neither am I, but the options are limited to:
A) Go get Pitino
B) Roll the dice with an up and coming mid major coach
C) Stick with CMA

Am I missing something?

A) Go get Pitino
C) Stick with CMA

Am I missing something?
Monte there are a couple of other possible options although I suspect you wouldn't like them:
D) hire a former coach from a Power 5 conference assuming they'd be interested which is a big assumption (both Mark Turgeon and Chris Mack have been mentioned in that regard);
E) hire a very well regarded assistant from a Power 5 conference (Kansas State hit paydirt with its hire of Jerome Tang a longtime member of the Baylor staff).

Last edited:
A) Go get Pitino
C) Stick with CMA

Am I missing something?
Look at our previous hiring methodology:
1) Hot Assistant: Mahoney (SJU connections) and Norm (from Queens)
2) Up and coming mid major: Fran
3) Available major coach with some past success: CMA, Lavin
4) No Previous coaching experience but a high profile NBA pedigree and local hero: Mullin
5) Lower level power conference coach with a good track record: Jarvis

Also we could follow other methods:
NBA coaches: Former Head coaches: Like Mark Jackson type or high level assistants, like Patrick Ewing.
You could hire an X's and O's guru like a Mike Dunlap

None of these approaches are guaranteed to work but finding someone on the way up makes more sense to me than getting someone on the way down. I said in another thread that finding a solid mid-major Coach on the way up like Providence did when they hired Cooley from Fairfield in 2011 or Rutgers did with Pikiell from Stonybrook in 2016 would be a good model to follow.

From a local guy affiliated w a program that’s sent some talent to SJU

- Cragg is very well liked/respected in the department and isn’t going anywhere. They understand the task he took over and he’s gonna get time, regardless of what happens w mike

- Anderson is gone. If they swing and miss on the big fish don’t be surprised if they turn to a guy like Woj (pure speculation!!!) who is given a 3 year window w the understanding that they’re starting fresh (think winning w transfers to spur recruiting)

- he thought Capel would get the job if Pitt tanked this season but that’s not the case

- Iona believes Pitino is headed to one of 2 places (easy guesses)

- whether he stays or goes, at least 3 kids are headed out

- don’t be surprised if a BE school up north makes a run at our PG…

Again this is just the educated opinion of a person within the know but where’s there is smoke there is fire
1) Mike will be gone after the season. He will not resign but he absolutely will not be back.
2) Mike does things his way. They haven't worked out.
3) Cragg stays. Not even a consideration of him leaving
4)Capel would never have been considered.
5) Who stays and who goes is pure speculation. Their is talent on this roster that other schools will and already have reached out to. Up to new coach to retain the ones he wants.

1) Mike will be gone after the season. He will not resign but he absolutely will not be back.
2) Mike does things his way. They haven't worked out.
3) Cragg stays. Not even a consideration of him leaving
4)Capel would never have been considered.
5) Who stays and who goes is pure speculation. Their is talent on this roster that other schools will and already have reached out to. Up to new coach to retain the ones he wants.
The voice of reason. Takes a poster held in the highest esteem to get through to some of the lunk heads on the board 😉🔥🤣😂👍

Good post zapper but HOT 🔥 assistants Mahoney (he of the 16-62 record at Manhattan) and Norm (he of the 24-84 record at Queens College)? 😂😂😂😂😂
Wow I did not know that Mahoney had a shot prior and failed at Manhattan. But who could forget Norms pristine run at QC?

So you really think even if he finished last for the next two or three years they would keep him for all 4 years remaining on his contract even if by then the pay out would be a couple of million? I want what you’re smoking and or drinking Knight. Come back to us.
bama, the more years that tick off the contract, the more palatable the change would be to the administration. I don’t see any evidence of the administration being open to eating a pie that size.

Monte there are a couple of other possible options although I suspect you wouldn't like them:
D) hire a former coach from a Power 5 conference assuming they'd be interested which is a big assumption (both Mark Turgeon and Chris Mack have been mentioned in that regard);
E) hire a very well regarded assistant from a Power 5 conference (Kansas State hit paydirt with its hire of Jerome Tang a longtime member of the Baylor staff).
What about Kimani Young at UConn?

Wow I did not know that Mahoney had a shot prior and failed at Manhattan. But who could forget Norms pristine run at QC?
Yes, Mahoney was a failed Head Coach at Manhattan, his Alma Mater, before becoming Lou's number one assistant. It was noted but not viewed as a huge red flag when he was hired as the Head Coach but obviously was highlighted more as his struggles in the top position mounted up. Likewise, Norm's poor record at Queens College was not looked at as much as his big success as Self's number one assistant. In both cases their hiring profile was enhanced by their understanding of the local terrain and their perceived ability to recruit local talent.

Back