Mike Anderson - Former Coach

I don't personally want a retread that has been fired from his last job, or anyone with no coaching experience. IMO anyone with no coaching experience is the riskiest of all hires. But that's just me.
Monte, while I generally agree, there are exceptions. I would take Chris Mack in an instant, he has proven he can be extremely successful in the Big East. Other than that exception, I prefer the relatively young, successful mid-major option.

I don't personally want a retread that has been fired from his last job, or anyone with no coaching experience. IMO anyone with no coaching experience is the riskiest of all hires. But that's just me.
I also do not want anyone with no recruiting experience. That would eliminate some former NBA players.

RSCI #26. ;)

Ingram was RSCI #28. Lenny Cooke was #25 that year.

Omar Cooke was #11. Darius Miles was #3 that year.

AG was #23. Barkeley was #29 that year.

Not as easy to find data pre RSCI/1999.
According to ESPN in 2002:

Lenny Cooke was #2
Darryl Hill was #21
Elijah Ingram Was #24

In 2011: Steve Lavin was extremely active
Dom Pointer was #25
Jakarr Sampson was #32
Mo Harkless was #39
Jamal Branch was #51
D'Angelo Harrison was #64
Norvel Pelle was #77
Amir Garrett was #99

Justin Simon was #37 2015 http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2015/order/true

Mustapha Heron was #25 2016
Shamorie Ponds was #37 2016 http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2016/order/true

Yeah, I was using RSCI which takes the top 8 or so ranking services and creates a consensus average to weed out outliers. Individual services can vary greatly. I also only looked at top 25 or close. Dom was 35, Mo 38, Jakarr 40. FWIW Rivals had Norvel at 20. Many of those services don't rank 5th year players or didn't in the old days so Showtime doesn't show up there. I also didn't consider guys who were recruited elsewhere and transferred in, they transferred for a reason. 247 also has a consensus alongside their individual rankings but was unsure how far they went back.

Smart didn't get fired. Miller wasn't fired for being a retread loser.

true that Smart was not fired but he may have been if he did not resign since he had a six season losing conference record in the Big 12 Conference at UTexas and had only a 55% overall record.

That said, the guy is an excellent coach. I wish he was at StJohn’s.

I would also strongly consider Beard. He can come in and admit his mistake and you can definitely sell it as a 2nd chance rehab. He would win and after a year nobody would care about his past mistakes.
There is absolutely no way to sell a guy to the school or the general public less than half a year after being arrested for assaulting his girlfriend.

According to ESPN in 2002:

Lenny Cooke was #2
Darryl Hill was #21
Elijah Ingram Was #24

In 2011: Steve Lavin was extremely active
Dom Pointer was #25
Jakarr Sampson was #32
Mo Harkless was #39
Jamal Branch was #51
D'Angelo Harrison was #64
Norvel Pelle was #77
Amir Garrett was #99

Justin Simon was #37 2015 http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2015/order/true

Mustapha Heron was #25 2016
Shamorie Ponds was #37 2016 http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2016/order/true
Heron was a five star. The rest were all 4 stars, although maybe Simon a 5 star on some services. The 2011 Lavin recruits were all 4 stars. How he did it IDK, and probably none of us want to know. He had a complete barren roster, and could offer immediate playing time. That helped. Turned out that Dom and Garrett, and to a lesser extent Jakarr, were 5 star athletes and 3 star basketball players when they entered college. Shamorie a 4 star. Cooke. like Darius Miles and Pelle, never made it here. When there are issues with a player, the blue bloods back off and the non blue bloods swoop in. I think Rysheed was a 5 star. Way more talent recruited over the years that I remember. Anyone know what year the star rating system went into effect?

The only way we get an elite coach right now is because they need to rehab their image or it’s an older coach kind of on the way out. So that’s where Pitino comes in. I would also strongly consider Beard. He can come in and admit his mistake and you can definitely sell it as a 2nd chance rehab. He would win and after a year nobody would care about his past mistakes.

If those don’t happen you have to get a good mid major coach who has been successful. The last time we went that route was Fran and it was working. Is that a lock? No but it has worked for Rutgers. They grabbed Pikiell, they gave him time and now they are seeing success. Let’s be reasonable. If you want more than that then you are still living in 1985.
I am. The 1980’s was the greatest decade. Not to mention I spent money on shampoo and gel.

true that Smart was not fired but he may have been if he did not resign since he had a six season losing conference record in the Big 12 Conference at UTexas and had only a 55% overall record.

That said, the guy is an excellent coach. I wish he was at StJohn’s.
He was not fired but they did not exactly fight for him when he was offered the Marquette job. I think they even waived his buyout.

Keep in mind he was coming off a season in which Texas swept Kansas and was a 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament (although were upset in the opening round 3/14 game). Guys who get 3 seeds are hardly fired after that season.

But yes Texas was not exactly devastated when he found another job.

He was not fired but they did not exactly fight for him when he was offered the Marquette job. I think they even waived his buyout.

Keep in mind he was coming off a season in which Texas swept Kansas and was a 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament (although were upset in the opening round 3/14 game). Guys who get 3 seeds are hardly fired after that season.

But yes Texas was not exactly devastated when he found another job.
I watched their whole tournament game in 2021 against #14 Abilene Christian (this was because I had Texas going to the final four on a few of my NCAA pool brackets). It was a game that if you watched it, was almost unwatchable basketball. It was a brutally poorly played game, possibly only exceeded by the ineptitude of the referees. After the loss, I went on the Texas website because it was so shockingly bad and looked at what the comments of their posters were about Shaka's coaching acumen. FYI the comments were akin to what our posters are currently saying about Mike Anderson. I did not watch a ton of Texas basketball under Shaka, but he was not very popular at the end of his tenure based on what I read.

I think Texas' POV was if we want this level of mediocrity we'd have kept Rick Barnes. Barnes made the dance 16 of 17 years at Texas.

Monte, while I generally agree, there are exceptions. I would take Chris Mack in an instant, he has proven he can be extremely successful in the Big East. Other than that exception, I prefer the relatively young, successful mid-major option.
NCJ at the right price, with no guarantees, I would roll the dice with Mack. He's got to have to reprove himself before the school throws big bucks at him. Otherwise let him go reprove himself somewhere else. Enough with the stupid business decisions by this administration

There is absolutely no way to sell a guy to the school or the general public less than half a year after being arrested for assaulting his girlfriend.
Come on LJSA, I mean it's not as though be shot and killed someone. Oh wait..

Back