Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Chris Mack's takeover from Sean Miller's first go round turned out well for Xavier.

Xavier was playing at a lower level at the time, though. When they went that route in the Big East, it didn't work.

Plus, Xavier has a history of good hires, who go on to bigger things. They've never minded being a stepping stone job.

if we keep losing the way we lost at X the powers that be have no choice
I hope there is a change, but after all these years of disappointment, I have to see the change with my own eyes. I thought CMA was going to be a good choice, with his 40 minutes of hell presser, but when the guy goes seasons without knowing when to use a timeout (not a sophisticated strategy), I have abandoned ship on CMA. There are many more performance reasons to lose confidence in his abilities. The faster we move on the better.

L
“Their stance” is the key. It may be best to keep an open mind about other candidates, since situations like this never seem to materialize here. Just my thoughts.
Heard today Pitino is a no go. Guess only hope would be if there are supporters that they are able to convince the impeders to sanction it. 😪

L

Heard today Pitino is a no go. Guess only hope would be if there are supporters that they are able to convince the impeders to sanction it. 😪

Oh boy, that'd be a new level of stupidity even for St. John's.

This may not be a popular opinion, but I'm not a fan of hiring someone who failed in their last stop (Chris Mack). Just couldn't get excited about that. That said, I am comparing him to Rick Pitino who has been successful at every college he's coached.

IF Pitino is really off the board then who knows, Chris Mack may be the best available option, but he'd only be slightly more exciting than Anderson was at the time. Wouldn't come anywhere close to other recent Big East hires (Smart, Holloway, Miller). None of those coaches failed in their last stops, unless you count an investigation Miller was recently cleared from or Smart being a 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament at a school with ridiculous expectations. Unlike Mack, none of them were fired for poor performance.

For now I'll just hope that fans can make enough noise to force Pitino. Everyone else is a downgrade and thus would be a major letdown.

Anderson has another 4 years left on his contract after this season, thanks to Cragg re-upping him prematurely. He’s making around $2.5 million/yr (according to the NY Post). By my math, that’s $10 million St John’s would have to pay to fire him.

Why would Anderson take substantially less than that to leave? Where is he going?? Who’s going to hire him? At the end of last season, I posted here the rumor –from a solid source, but incorrect, as it turns out--that he was going to Tulsa, his wife was unhappy here in NYC. But that was then…this is now. After this season’s debacle, no one’s going to hire him now.

So where’s he going? He’s 63. Unless Rick Pitino is working the SJU donor circuit hard to not only get himself hired here, but to pony up millions to get rid of Anderson, Anderson isn’t going anywhere.

L

Then let’s reach out to his son. Would he rather be in the Big East in NYC or in New Mexico?

Anderson has another 4 years left on his contract after this season, thanks to Cragg re-upping him prematurely. He’s making around $2.5 million/yr (according to the NY Post). By my math, that’s $10 million St John’s would have to pay to fire him.

Why would Anderson take substantially less than that to leave? Where is he going?? Who’s going to hire him? At the end of last season, I posted here the rumor –from a solid source, but incorrect, as it turns out--that he was going to Tulsa, his wife was unhappy here in NYC. But that was then…this is now. After this season’s debacle, no one’s going to hire him now.

So where’s he going? He’s 63. Unless Rick Pitino is working the SJU donor circuit hard to not only get himself hired here, but to pony up millions to get rid of Anderson, Anderson isn’t going anywhere.
You are assuming the buyout is not less than $10 million?

This may not be a popular opinion, but I'm not a fan of hiring someone who failed in their last stop (Chris Mack). Just couldn't get excited about that. That said, I am comparing him to Rick Pitino who has been successful at every college he's coached.

IF Pitino is really off the board then who knows, Chris Mack may be the best available option, but he'd only be slightly more exciting than Anderson was at the time. Wouldn't come anywhere close to other recent Big East hires (Smart, Holloway, Miller). None of those coaches failed in their last stops, unless you count an investigation Miller was recently cleared from or Smart being a 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament at a school with ridiculous expectations. Unlike Mack, none of them were fired for poor performance.

For now I'll just hope that fans can make enough noise to force Pitino. Everyone else is a downgrade and thus would be a major letdown.
Mack would be a home run hire here. As stated in a previous post in this thread, look what he did at Xavier. If he could do 75% of that here everyone on this board would extremely happy.

Not if there is a buyout clause in the contract which is less than $10 million.
Maybe, but I can’t imagine his agent would have agreed to substantially less than $2.5 million a year x number of years left on the contract.

Back