Mike Anderson - Former Coach

The Chris Mack flame out story is over stated IMO. He didn’t light it up to pitino standards at the Ville but he was 63-36 overall and 38-23 in the ACC. He was 5-5 in conference the year he got terminated. And the COVID year he was 15-5 in the ACC headed for a top 3 seed before the NCAAT got canceled. The Assistsnt coach stuff with gaudio was the real story.

The Chris Mack flame out story is over stated IMO. He didn’t light it up to pitino standards at the Ville but he was 63-36 overall and 38-23 in the ACC. He was 5-5 in conference the year he got terminated. And the COVID year he was 15-5 in the ACC headed for a top 3 seed before the NCAAT got canceled. The Assistsnt coach stuff with gaudio was the real story.

Cool, but these comments from when he mutually agreed with Louisville to step down mid season are certainly concerning...

"It's been building. We all want the best for Louisville and I still do. That's not going to change," Mack told reporters. "It's not really important when or any of that stuff. What's important is that these guys need to be able to be connected. I'm humble enough where if I'm not the right person -- all good, man. Just want the best for them. They're great kids. I loved my team at Louisville. My kids loved it here. I harbor no bitterness."

The relationship between Mack and the fan base had also deteriorated, dating to last March when the Cardinals fell short of the NCAA tournament.

"I love 'em. I love 'em," Mack said Wednesday. "They want to win. S---, I do too. I ain't bitter at all. I got my family, I got a great life. I'm good."

Mack, 52, said several times over the past month that he was having trouble getting through to his team, at one point saying that "this team has been impossible for us to figure out."

After Louisville's loss to Notre Dame on Saturday, senior forward Malik Williams was asked whether players were still responding to the coaching staff.

"I don't have a comment for that," Williams said.

Cool, but these comments from when he mutually agreed with Louisville to step down mid season are certainly concerning...

"It's been building. We all want the best for Louisville and I still do. That's not going to change," Mack told reporters. "It's not really important when or any of that stuff. What's important is that these guys need to be able to be connected. I'm humble enough where if I'm not the right person -- all good, man. Just want the best for them. They're great kids. I loved my team at Louisville. My kids loved it here. I harbor no bitterness."

The relationship between Mack and the fan base had also deteriorated, dating to last March when the Cardinals fell short of the NCAA tournament.

"I love 'em. I love 'em," Mack said Wednesday. "They want to win. S---, I do too. I ain't bitter at all. I got my family, I got a great life. I'm good."

Mack, 52, said several times over the past month that he was having trouble getting through to his team, at one point saying that "this team has been impossible for us to figure out."

After Louisville's loss to Notre Dame on Saturday, senior forward Malik Williams was asked whether players were still responding to the coaching staff.

"I don't have a comment for that," Williams said

I wonder if you ask Louisville right now if they are happy with their decision what they would say. I look at those comments as someone who took the high road (and of course got paid handsomely to do it).

He is a hard nosed old school type. I’m sure the level of recruit at Louisville was different than xavier and bet the latter is much more in line with what he would do here.

The guy was the second best coach in this same league. Don’t think we’re in any position to be too good for that.

So tell me how it would work in Andersons case if SJU fired him after this season. Assume no one else wants to hire him.
I doubt he knows the exact details of this one but his point is that they are not for the full amount of the promised contract. That’s the point of the buyout.

Mack would be a home run hire here. As stated in a previous post in this thread, look what he did at Xavier. If he could do 75% of that here everyone on this board would extremely happy.

Nah, Chris Mack isn't a home run hire... unless maybe if you'd consider Rick Pitino to be a grand slam hire (even then, I'd say double or triple)? Their resumes aren't remotely comparable. Again, Mack is 1/2 in head coaching positions and the school he excelled at was in his own backyard (and Xavier was excellent for many years prior to his arrival). Pitino is 5/5 with multiple national championships and our school is in his backyard. The national media and fan base weren't excited when we hired a fired Arkansas native, why would they be optimistic for a fired Ohio native?

As you and others have pointed out, he was solid at Louisville, but he also had insane resources there. Louisville basketball I think is/was the top revenue generator in the country. We can't downplay that he was just "solid" at a top school (as opposed to Pitino who won a national championship there). I'm also very doubtful he could come replicate 75% of what he did at Xavier, but that's debatable.

Look, I never said he'd be a bad hire, I think he could be successful here. I acknowledged he'd be a better hire than Anderson was at the time. Maybe he'd even be the best option after Pitino, I don't care enough at this point to evaluate other candidates. Point being, he's so far behind Pitino and absolutely not the grand slam that the school needs. I don't think we as fans should settle but rather need to keep the heat up until the school digs their own grave. Let's not settle for anything less than a grand slam, especially in early February.

Last edited:
I'm not a lawyer. But contracts can go two ways I believe. Either you continue to pay the terms (ie $2.5M each year for 4 years) or you settle on a lump sum. I thought it was more the former (which is what happened with Slice) however if they ever got another job then you are off the hook. Which is usually why coaches will take less as a pay out and then be able to get a job freely.

Again not a lawyer but been around enough to see those among the many scenarios in years past.

I doubt he knows the exact details of this one but his point is that they are not for the full amount of the promised contract. That’s the point of the buyout.
No agent worth his salt is going to tie up his client for several years at a substantially below-market rate.

So tell me how it would work in Andersons case if SJU fired him after this season. Assume no one else wants to hire him.
Buyouts go both ways.

1) The coach wants a high buyout for if he gets fired like would be the case here
2) The school wants a high buyout for if the coach decides to leave for another job i.e. if SJU wants to hire Matt Langel they would have to pay Colgate whatever the buyout number is in Langel’s contract to get him.

In negotiations the school and coach’s agent find some middle ground on both of those numbers depending on who has more leverage and what not. That’s why buyouts are typically lower than what the total salary would be throughout the course of the contract

I'm not a lawyer. But contracts can go two ways I believe. Either you continue to pay the terms (ie $2.5M each year for 4 years) or you settle on a lump sum. I thought it was more the former (which is what happened with Slice) however if they ever got another job then you are off the hook. Which is usually why coaches will take less as a pay out and then be able to get a job freely.

Again not a lawyer but been around enough to see those among the many scenarios in years past.

Yes, exactly. I am operating on the assumption that Anderson right now cannot land another job that pays him anything close to $2.5 million per year.

L

Heard today Pitino is a no go. Guess only hope would be if there are supporters that they are able to convince the impeders to sanction it. 😪

Things could change but I heard the same two months ago. Coming from a relative of Slick Rick who I’m friendly with.

Things could change but I heard the same two months ago. Coming from a relative of Slick Rick who I’m friendly with.
Time to earn your keep and talk to the relatives about the diety status Rick will attain by taking us back to respectability.

By making 2 tournaments in 5 years he will get a statue.

I wonder if you ask Louisville right now if they are happy with their decision what they would say. I look at those comments as someone who took the high road (and of course got paid handsomely to do it).

He is a hard nosed old school type. I’m sure the level of recruit at Louisville was different than xavier and bet the latter is much more in line with what he would do here.

The guy was the second best coach in this same league. Don’t think we’re in any position to be too good for that.

All I'm saying is I don't consider a guy who openly said he wasn't able to connect with his kids, and a player essentially echoed the same, as a home run hire.

Back