Mike Anderson - Former Coach

I get being upset with Anderson for not making the NCAA, but for the life of me I will never understand this fascination with Pitino. Let’s take for granted that St. John’s will pony up $2.75M (Rick is rumored to be making 4 at Iona) and some mystery benefactor is willing to add another day $3M. Now you got some real money why would you take a run at

-a 71 year old
- with 1 NCAA win since 2008/9
- who is not lighting the NCAA on fire
- who was most successful while paying players (everyone can do that now)
- who got fired from UL for the similar reason we kicked Elijah Ingram out of school.

In a fantasy would with this ~$6M way isn’t our first call to Billy Donovan (who will soon be jobless) or even Cal as Kentucky is currently trying to raise the huge buy out.

In a more reasonable world we have to keep in mind our limitations… we ran Lavin out of town and the disaster. We tried to pay Porter Moser and he turned down $3+M to stay in Chicago only to then turn around and take 3.2M at OU.

Realistically, our options are going to be

1. Bradin Knight
2. Carmen Maciariello
Or
3. Bobby Hurley

if they turn us down, what are we going to do? Call Mark Jackson?

The 80’s were 35 years ago guys. There is no sleeping giant. It’s fight, scrap, claw and be grateful for the years we have Harrison, Pointer, and Greene all clicking at the same time.

RSR where did you hear Pitino was making 4 per? Believ I remember it was well short of one million per. Maybe 4 million total for length of contract?
I hope that’s the truth. (And makes me feel better). Iona doesn’t and shouldn’t release that info. So I was just internet rumoring it and maybe I misunderstood. Although I believe Cluess confirmed he made 1.1M.

I said by Pitino was at best be less successful than Lavin at worst leave us like Jarvis and Fran.

- with 1 NCAA win since 2008/9

08- Elite 8
09- Elite 8
10- Round of 64
11- Round of 64
12- Final 4*
13- NCAA Champion*
14- Sweet 16*
15- Elite 8*
16- Ineligible (but 4th in ACC)*
17- Round of 32 (this is the 1 NCAA win you were referring to)
(overseas)
21- Round of 64
22- NIT (first in MAAC)

Even with the vacated* seasons I don't think it's fair to characterize his career as anything short of incredible, especially since he was cleared by the NCAA. If the NCAA is ok with him then why shouldn't we be?

I think I took longer to realize it wasn't going to work out and turn on Norm. Let that sink in ( not comparing CMA to Norm just my desperation as a fan knowing this isnt working )
Dollar per Win, I believe that Norm may have been the better value

EDIT: Some quick math tells me that Norm made roughly 35k per win, and CMA roughly 143k per win. Even taking inflation in to account, Norm's the far better value.

Last edited:
With the exception of maybe a handful of board members and fans, I don't imagine there'd be too much resistance to hiring Pitino at this point. So not quite sure what would hold Shanley and Cragg back.

At least 2 SJU boosters are in favor of Pitino. But there is definite resistance by some on the SJU board.

Earlier in the thread you mentioned the board would still need to be convinced on Pitino. To me it sounds like the board has members with too much ego on it, and aren't fully committed to what is best for the basketball program. We've already seen how one guy wrecked the last coaching search and ran off our biggest donor. I'm not saying Pitino is the definite right choice. But what is left to know about him at this point that they need to be persuaded into it?

It is very common for a coach who is Fired Without Cause to be paid out 100% of what is owed on the remaining contract.

This site lists termination packages for various NCAA basketball teams.

https://watchstadium.com/college-ba...uyout-database-for-2019-20-season-10-24-2019/

Even in those cases where it’s not 100%, it is typically 75% or 85% of what’s owed on the remaining contract. Remember, too, that Anderson’s contract was extended right after he won Big East Coach of the Year. He had leverage.

Bottom line: Unless Anderson has a completely incompetent agent, St Johns is going to have to pony up I would guess anywhere between $7.5 million to $10 million to fire Anderson after this season. That amount would be offset by any compensation he earned if he becomes a head coach elsewhere. But who’s going to hire a 63 year old who has been fired twice in a row?

I think I took longer to realize it wasn't going to work out and turn on Norm. Let that sink in ( not comparing CMA to Norm just my desperation as a fan knowing this isnt working )
Going to do something I never imagined. Defend Norm. He stepped into a depleted roster and played a normal OOC schedule. Norm was terrible but if put into Anderson’s situation would have had similar results.

It is very common for a coach who is Fired Without Cause to be paid out 100% of what is owed on the remaining contract.

This site lists termination packages for various NCAA basketball teams.

https://watchstadium.com/college-ba...uyout-database-for-2019-20-season-10-24-2019/

Even in those cases where it’s not 100%, it is typically 75% or 85% of what’s owed on the remaining contract. Remember, too, that Anderson’s contract was extended right after he won Big East Coach of the Year. He had leverage.

Bottom line: Unless Anderson has a completely incompetent agent, St Johns is going to have to pony up I would guess anywhere between $7.5 million to $10 million to fire Anderson after this season. That amount would be offset by any compensation he earned if he becomes a head coach elsewhere. But who’s going to hire a 63 year old who has been fired twice in a row?
The University of Tulsa is 5-17 (1-10 in AAC).

Maybe they will be interested in a certain someone with local ties.

After this, I don’t have much.

Yes, St. John’s has a history of high morals, values and ethics. Father Harrington was here a long time.
Yeah, not cool. As with all organizations, you have to separate the deeds of one person from the overriding organization and its mission, unless of course you think the organization was "in on it" or knew that misdeeds were being done. Regardless, whether anyone likes it or not the university is a Catholic affiliated school, not a state school or non-religious private institution. And the basketball team is not a professional franchise. So, accept the fact that it has certain things the school can abide and certain things it can't or won't. Basketball is NOT the reason the school exists and not even a major consideration as to how things are or should be done. It is an important part of the school's history and culture (and probably finances) but not the be all and end all. Past boards and major donors (with some exceptions like Repole) were loathe to bringing in a guy like Pitino. I don't know what the current board's penchant will be, maybe it has changed, maybe not (we will see). But if it hasn't, and they refuse to go there again, the tired old "St. Johns is hypocritical" argument is shallow and wrong. If you don't want to acknowledge, or it frustrates you, that the school is a Catholic University and acts like one, and has certain rules that are different than other schools (whether you like them or not), then I respectfully suggest you root for another school/team. You'll feel much better about things.

Yeah, not cool. As with all organizations, you have to separate the deeds of one person from the overriding organization and its mission, unless of course you think the organization was "in on it" or knew that misdeeds were being done. Regardless, whether anyone likes it or not the university is a Catholic affiliated school, not a state school or non-religious private institution. And the basketball team is not a professional franchise. So, accept the fact that it has certain things the school can abide and certain things it can't or won't. Basketball is NOT the reason the school exists and not even a major consideration as to how things are or should be done. It is an important part of the school's history and culture (and probably finances) but not the be all and end all. Past boards and major donors (with some exceptions like Repole) were loathe to bringing in a guy like Pitino. I don't know what the current board's penchant will be, maybe it has changed, maybe not (we will see). But if it hasn't, and they refuse to go there again, the tired old "St. Johns is hypocritical" argument is shallow and wrong. If you don't want to acknowledge, or it frustrates you, that the school is a Catholic University and acts like one, and has certain rules that are different than other schools (whether you like them or not), then I respectfully suggest you root for another school/team. You'll feel much better about things.
It is not an old argument. Under Harrington this school had one of the darkest moments in its history. I know the school is a Catholic University, which by the way has many non-Catholic students. I can see the past hypocrisy of the school and still root for them. I don’t need you to tell me who to root for or what will make me feel better.

And as a Catholic school, isn’t forgiveness a virtue? You are casting a lot of stones. You must be totally without sin.

Last edited:
What does Harrington have to do with Shanley and Craig? I thought the idea was to not repeat the mistakes of the past.
Under Harrington, the school went through what I believe was it’s darkest hours. And I wonder how many members of the Board back then are still on it now, and knew and ignored what Harrington was doing. So yes, I question some of the high morals, values and ethics some of the Board members may have still.

Back