Mike Anderson - Former Coach

I can't vouch for the accuracy, but an old friend, who is a season ticket holder, informed this morning that he was told by someone in athletic dept. that the buyout number was Eight Million. Can anyone confirm?

My understanding is that is the approximate sum our beloved St. John’s is looking at as a buyout.

When I mentioned the “buy out” issue 3 weeks ago posters on this site doubted its importance, but a buyout provision is customary in the contracts of D1 head coaches. Many posters trivialized the $7.5M amount St. John’s may have to pay. $7.5M or $8M is a very- very heavy life for St. John’s.

News reports indicated that Pittsburgh’s Jeff Capel would have been terminated after last season but for the $11M buyout on his contract. The good news for Pittsburgh is that Capel, for the first time in 5 seasons, has a nice 17-7/ 9-3 record this season.

if CMA returns next season you should expect a shake up in his staff.

I just heard affirmation from solid guy that the $ number is indeed steep, as noted recently by a few posters as I recall.
Because we have incompetent administrators who make one mistake after another. Why the extension without accomplishing anything ?

Well one thing that may help is to get Mike Repole back on board, another screw up by our esteemed (see I didn’t call him an idiot) athletic director.

Cragg can stand on his head and spit wooden nickels, but Repole is not coming back until Joe Oliva is no longer with the university. Period.

My understanding is that is the approximate sum our beloved St. John’s is looking at as a buyout.

When I mentioned the “buy out” issue 3 weeks ago posters on this site doubted its importance, but a buyout provision is customary in the contracts of D1 head coaches. Many posters trivialized the $7.5M amount St. John’s may have to pay. $7.5M or $8M is a very- very heavy life for St. John’s.

News reports indicated that Pittsburgh’s Jeff Capel would have been terminated after last season but for the $11M buyout on his contract. The good news for Pittsburgh is that Capel, for the first time in 5 seasons, has a nice 17-7/ 9-3 record this season.

Shake up in his staff? Macon and Shoes are the only thing keeping this program alive, would CMA be forced to fire his nephew?

count me as a Cragg supporter.

You support a guy that gives a coach an extension after two years , no post season invites and his entire team transferring out? And potentially putting the university in a financial bind? The only question is, what do you hate more, the school it the hoops program?

With consecutive years of lousy defensive performances, it’s obvious that CMA isn’t listening to anyone unless his staff is incompetent as well. And you think he will listen to new staff that will be forced on him?

If the whole staff is not gone, the hoops program should be cancelled.

Buyout or not, at this point CMA needs to step up and do the honorable thing. Negotiated a reasonable exit and don't hold a program hostage. He has no constituency left.

I assume CMA has self awareness and knows he has lost control of this team. I also assume that the relationship with his players is tense and uncomfortable at every practice. Why be uncomfortable every single day at practice then be embarrassed on game day. Do the right thing and move on. He has enough money to live comfortably. Why at his age put yourself through misery every single day

He's gone. It would take an act of God for him to be brought back.

The buyout is high but doable. But even if it wasn't the situation is simply becoming untenable and the Capel situation is not analogous.
I’m just curious what you think makes them not analogous? I’m worried it’s too similar and Cragg could point to Capel’s success this year.

I’m just curious what you think makes them not analogous? I’m worried it’s too similar and Cragg could point to Capel’s success this year.
Pitt was a sewer when Capel took over. They had to beg him to take that job (he could've stayed with K and waited for a better situation).

He was always going to get a long leash. The high buyout was to entice him when almost no one wanted that job.

Back