@Marquette, Sat., Mar. 4, 2p, FOX

Bardo says Wusu's shot gave us momentum. How would he know that before we see how they come out in the 2nd half ?
There is no basis for that statement.
A team with a little structure to the offense would have worked well for Jones.
A team with a little structure wouldn’t play Jones. It’s not a coincidence he has now been on two teams who play out of control.

NCJ it's not hindsight when I felt that way back then and have continued to feel that way since then. . And not to be arquementative( as you would say 😉), how can you emphatically say that it was not a " horrible deal" when we don't even know the terms of the deal?
Monte, I recall there were a few posters who were adamantly against the extension at the time, including you, Adam and a handful of others. But the board was largely fine with the extension because at the time most felt CMA had just done a good job in year 2 and we looked like we might be headed in the right direction; several people did say the extension would presumably come with a reasonable buyout and that is where the admin appears to have really screwed up. My reference to hindsight being 20/20 was not intended for you specifically, more to the fact that there are a lot more folks who think the extension was a terrible move now than there were at the time of the extension, but I guess that's only natural. Anyway, time to move on and bring in someone who can give these kids some direction and do it quickly so we can keep some of them.

I did not see the game. Just trying to figure out how a team shoots over 50% from the field, 50% from 3, and 89% from the line, and loses. That may be a first in college basketball. Must have been the turnover differential. Teams that don't value the ball don't value winning.
What you saw was players showcasing themselves for future coaches. No "D"...just stat sheet stuffing.

I am sorry but WHAT???

Do you think he should return and be given another chance, because that is what you seem to be implying. "Let's fire the players and keep the coach." Well, we've seen quite a bit of that on his watch and it hasn't changed one thing.

When you have the amount of turnover he has had since he got here (and I understand you want your players and some of the others might not have fit his style or personality having been recruited by someone else) and it is still not working, it might be time to look in the mirror and say "Hey, maybe it's me!"

I know the difference between playing hard and being athletic. We have more athletic guys than Jones and Storr and Posh is not "unathletic". Not sure your definition of athletic is the same as mine and mine doesn't start with "playing hard".

The buck stops with the coach, period. Yes, you can blame the players if they are not performing but too many times they look like lost sheep with no direction. It is the coach's job to get the players and put them in the position where they can succeed. Every one of these players were recruited by this head coach. He himself came out and expressed how good he thought this team would be. It's not.

I am not buying the "I coached good but boy these guys played bad!" theme. While there is blame to go around, most of it falls in the lap of the head coach.

There are so many things to pick on him regarding his in-game strategy and adjustments along with game preparation but his "deer in the headlights" look of not knowing when a run is happening against his team and knowing how this team operates, that he should call a timeout is on him. Is that the only reason we are losing, no, but it sure doesn't help.

Quite frankly, I don't harp on his timeouts, I harp on his many other failures including not being able to adjust and adapt. His way is not working and he is clueless on how to make it work consistently.

While I don't expect five stars to be throwing themselves at us, it is his job to get players who can and will compete and coach them. Have a plan and execute it and always have a contingency plan. We have twenty plus of bad seasons, subpar facilities and a lack luster home court advantage to overcome. He was hired to do just that but it hasn't worked out. His bad coaching just makes it worst.

Lastly, they have been warning signs most have ignored. We can all talk about the head case Moore was and the lawsuit is sour grapes but I will say, there was almost a mutiny at halftime of a game and that stems from more than just a minor disagreement.

This Coach must go!!!!
I give equal fault to the coaching and the players. I have not and will not state an opinion on whether Coach Anderson should be retained. That is above my pay grade. I never root for any person to lose their job (outside of politicians). I have and will continue to state my opinions on Anderson's coaching mistakes. Just as I will continue to post my opinions on player failures. As long as he is coach I will root for him and this team to win. I have total disdain for anyone who roots for their team to lose just so the coach can be fired. Should coach Anderson be let go, I will root for the next coach to be successful, whoever he might be.

Monte, I recall there were a few posters who were adamantly against the extension at the time, including you, Adam and a handful of others. But the board was largely fine with the extension because at the time most felt CMA had just done a good job in year 2 and we looked like we might be headed in the right direction; several people did say the extension would presumably come with a reasonable buyout and that is where the admin appears to have really screwed up. My reference to hindsight being 20/20 was not intended for you specifically, more to the fact that there are a lot more folks who think the extension was a terrible move now than there were at the time of the extension, but I guess that's only natural. Anyway, time to move on and bring in someone who can give these kids some direction and do it quickly so we can keep some of them.
All fair points NCJ

Brilliant quote by our coach? WTF! There are no moral victories. Everyone at the game on Wednesday should throw cigars on the court. This is just unacceptable. He should have been more assertive in his speech. I guess he sees the writing on the wall. It sounds like he doesn't care anymore.
https://nypost.com/2023/03/04/comeback-falls-short-as-st-johns-loses-to-no-6-marquette/?utm_source=email_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons
What do you want him to say??? They went into a hostile environment and lost by a free throw to the #6 team in the country. *No one* was expecting that.

I did not see the game. Just trying to figure out how a team shoots over 50% from the field, 50% from 3, and 89% from the line, and loses. That may be a first in college basketball. Must have been the turnover differential. Teams that don't value the ball don't value winning.
Marquette had one more made 3 than we did (11 more attempts), and 5 more made free throws than we did (10 more attempts). That's an 8 point differential in their favor, when you put the numbers in context.

What do you want him to say??? They went into a hostile environment and lost by a free throw to the #6 team in the country. *No one* was expecting that.
We expect him to be honest and say our défense was crap, garbage, non-existent. We gave up 53 points in the second half, shameful and this is from a coach who was supposed to be a strong defensive coach.
This team has zero identify, zero consistency, but it is not that they lack talent as yesterday showed as you said on a hostile environment against the number 6 team in the country.

Agree, no matter what happens on the court, positive or negative, Anderson will be blamed! Mob mentality at this point!

Was the same for the prior fired coaches and will be for all future coaches. Its what these Boards are created for, community and bitching!

Agree, no matter what happens on the court, positive or negative, Anderson will be blamed! Mob mentality at this point!

Was the same for the prior fired coaches and will be for all future coaches. Its what these Boards are created for, community and bitching!
Nothing could be further from the truth. The majority of us are dying to see wins and have heaped praise on both the staff and kids when we have won this past season, especially the wins over Uconn and Providence. The second we have won a game or two the board is calculating how many wins we need to Dance, make the Nit, not play in the Wednesday night game. We may be frustrated but let’s keep it honest.

We are all very passionate fans here. I dont see how us asking for the coach to accept accountability for his shortcomings is a "mob mentality".

Nothing could be further from the truth. The majority of us are dying to see wins and have heaped praise on both the staff and kids when we have won this past season, especially the wins over Uconn and Providence. The second we have won a game or two the board is calculating how many wins we need to Dance, make the Nit, not play in the Wednesday night game. We may be frustrated but let’s keep it honest.
RMN, there are in fact posters who write mob-speak as their standard communication. Everything is interpreted in terms of who is the next coach. signs of more failure, lack of (fill in the blank). I started thinking about these posters in my world, where chronic, progressive, relapsing illnesses, threaten the lives of people working on recovery from mental illness or substance use disorder, or both. Cursing the darkness a thousand times does nothing to shed light on a subject but there are in fact folks who choose to live that way.

I've kept a low profile on here for these past two seasons and I cannot be quiet anymore. STILL no NCAA tourney. We have the weakest SOS in the conference (113) and our RPI is completely unacceptable (145). We need a change. This isn't working.

Regarding the extension I do not think I had too much to say but if I had I would have been positive about it. Spinning coaches every four years leads exactly to where this program has been for a very long time. By the time any SJU staff has built AAU and H.S. relationships the school kicks them out and starts over. Then all the existing kids depart and that guarantees a few bad years until SJU does it again. Now that SJU is here again anyway I see the situation as follows.

The extension wasn't the issue an unreasonable buyout was the issue. If the buyout was fifty cents on the dollar, I would say right now, today, it was a worthwhile move. SJU, a school who has hardly been to the NCAA tournament in over 20 years and hasn't won a tournament game in that time fired their last two coaches immediately after they delivered a tournament berth. Find another school with that combination of statistics. Showing some commitment and stability to the overall basketball community was a very reasonable move.

Then things changed. Massively. And not just for SJU. Free transfer, free Covid years, and NIL all came rushing in to completely change the sport. Building relationships in AAU and H.S. programs has become much less important when players just want the most pay they can now legally get. And on top of that just jump around from college program to college program every year. Stability now means nothing. If a coach is in the last year of his contract it might hurt with H.S. recruiting that year. But if he survives and he is good at using the portal (and Anderson isn't surviving because he failed at this aspect of the current job) the coach can just reload in the portal.

When it comes to the Anderson era at SJU I don't think he just forgot how to coach, and his resume, whatever one thinks of it, blows away his accomplishments at SJU. I think like many older coaches the sea change in the environment ended any chance of success in a situation nine out of ten coaches will fail at. And so here we are again.

Back