Johnnies Tidbits

I find it implausible that  CMA wanted to kick Moore off the team merely bc he took a few bad shots.  It doesn’t make sense.

That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is some truth to the allegations regarding the team’s dysfunction last year.  It seemed to be borne out by the mass transfers and the team’s decision not to play in the NIT.

I always find it funny how some posters who have absolutely no first-hand info about what happened make definitive statements judging players and coaches.  I’m optimistic this will blow over, but we’ll see.

mjmaherjr post=439600 said:
Montes attorney on the left  [attachment=2219]89A97E24-6859-4224-94F5-BFDBCBCA1C2D.jpeg[/attachment]

And that was the look on Monte's face when he heard what the attorney was asking for.

Moore was poison to the team. Also from his twitter he posted some disturbing things. Some players stood by him, for whatever reason. If I had to choose a side without being present Id choose Coach over Moore any day of the week. I actually celebrated Moore leaving. Knew he was drama and not worth the few baskets he did make. Onward & upward fellas! 

Monte I think a lot had to do with the covid exception with transferring. From what most of us witnessed, Moore was undisciplined and a complete hothead. See ya!!

This matte will resolve itself.

Time to look forward and move on.

The DeMeo allegations have been eating at me all day -- not because I'm concerned about CMA, but I can't understand why DeMeo and his attorney would go "scorched earth" on the program.

It seems to me a guy who reached this level in competitive athletics knows that the best revenge is get healthy, join a different program and kick CMA's butt on the court or on the recruiting trail. Going the route of a lawsuit and public smear campaign suggests DeMeo knows he isn't capable of doing that.

Boo Harvey post=439607 said:
I find it implausible that  CMA wanted to kick Moore off the team merely bc he took a few bad shots.  It doesn’t make sense.

It wasn't just bad shot selection or in game issues. Moore was a problem all season on and off the court. From issues on campus, to being suspended due to his conduct "not being up to team standards," to his social media non sense. Moore put the target on his own back and frankly was given far too long of a leash.

firestorm post=439623 said:
The DeMeo allegations have been eating at me all day -- not because I'm concerned about CMA, but I can't understand why DeMeo and his attorney would go "scorched earth" on the program.

It seems to me a guy who reached this level in competitive athletics knows that the best revenge is get healthy, join a different program and kick CMA's butt on the court or on the recruiting trail. Going the route of a lawsuit and public smear campaign suggests DeMeo knows he isn't capable of doing that.

Anger and bad legal advice is a toxic combination. 

otis post=439583 said:
Monte post=439550 said:
While I do believe that there are elements of truth in the accusations, like most other lawsuits the facts are grossly exaggerated by the lawyers(no offense to myriad lawyers on the board).  Having said that, if I'm SJU I'd hold off on that CMA statue for a while. 
_____

1.  Monte ..... Welcome back.  Don't be a stranger.

2.  Please don't blame attorneys for frivelous lawsuits, blame their "blood sucking" clients. /media/kunena/emoticons/cool.png

3.  I would appreciate if an attorney whose practice focuses on labor law can please explain what duty an employer has to retain an employee on a small specialized staff who can no longer perform their duties because of health issues.    

Can we at least blame attorneys for not discouraging them./media/kunena/emoticons/wink.png

This is a bad look.  Maybe it'll hurt and maybe it won't.  Other schools have overcome "scandals" worse than this.  

The good news is the Daily News finally found out about St John's and put us in their pathetic sports pages.

Maybe the legal minds on this site can weigh in. Can a judge dismiss this frivolous lawsuit and DeMeo and his legal team walk away with nothing ? Or is it in the Universities best interest to settle for an undisclosed sum to avoid a trial that would air more dirty laundry? 

cappy105 post=439612 said:
Monte I think a lot had to do with the covid exception with transferring. From what most of us witnessed, Moore was undisciplined and a complete hothead. See ya!!

Valid points, but based on what I saw last season, I strongly surmised that there was something rotten going on in Denmark(aka Jamaica), and not just with Moore. That maybe our program wasn't the big happy family that others were making it out to be. So while I believe DeMeo's accusations are exaggerated, I for one am not completely dismissing them. 

It appeared to me that players from the 2019 team who were getting less playing time (Earlington), or were not given playing time during crunch time (Williams) were not happy with the minutes that Cole and Dunn were getting. Add Moore's attitude problems and I can understand the problems. How much of this is the fault of the coach is debatable.

AlBovino post=439634 said:
It appeared to me that players from the 2019 team who were getting less playing time (Earlington), or were not given playing time during crunch time (Williams) were not happy with the minutes that Cole and Dunn were getting. Add Moore's attitude problems and I can understand the problems. How much of this is the fault of the coach is debatable.

Williams was hurt, but received plenty of crunch time PT when healthy.

I think there is a strong case that Earlington should have gotten some of Cole’s minutes.  I’m not sure who should have gotten Dunn’s minutes.  While flawed, few if anybody on the team brought what he brought.

He was all those things plus your additional post above, but he was also productive. I’d might even say really productive.

For me, the mass exodus was really a perfect storm of factors combined with the free transfer rule being in play. Roberts, Williams, Earlington and Caraher were Mullin recruits. That's who they signed up to play for so their was no loyalty to CMA although they stuck it out a year. They could have easily left immediately once Mullin left. Dunn obviously wanted to go to a place where he could showcase a skill set that wouldn't be possible here. Cole and Moore obviously were never fits here. So I don't think the mass exodus occured as a result of a singular thing CMA did as indicated in the lawsuit but rather a combination of factors leading to it. 

Room112 post=439647 said:
For me, the mass exodus was really a perfect storm of factors combined with the free transfer rule being in play. Roberts, Williams, Earlington and Caraher were Mullin recruits. That's who they signed up to play for so their was no loyalty to CMA although they stuck it out a year. They could have easily left immediately once Mullin left. Dunn obviously wanted to go to a place where he could showcase a skill set that wouldn't be possible here. Cole and Moore obviously were never fits here. So I don't think the mass exodus occured as a result of a singular thing CMA did as indicated in the lawsuit but rather a combination of factors leading to it. 

Except that:
A. CMA is the anti-Mullin, in that he's much more of a mentor to the players
2. Williams and Earlington both improved significantly under CMA
3. All the Mullin players that left had a few years with CMA, plenty of time for him to establish a strong bond 

I do agree that the mass exodus was a bit of a perfect storm, but the coach still needs to shoulder some of the blame IMO. Keep in mind, he also did not retain our best player(LJ) from the year before. Gotta keep talent if you wanna build a strong foundation and win consistently. 

Monte post=439648 said:
Room112 post=439647 said:

Except that:
A. CMA is the anti-Mullin, in that he's much more of a mentor to the players
2. Williams and Earlington both improved significantly under CMA
3. All the Mullin players that left had a few years with CMA, plenty of time for him to establish a strong bond 

I do agree that the mass exodus was a bit of a perfect storm, but the coach still needs to shoulder some of the blame IMO. Keep in mind, he also did not retain our best player(LJ) from the year before. Gotta keep talent if you wanna build a strong foundation and win consistently. 

Yeah but it’s not always a certainty that the former coaches players will automatically form a “strong bond”.  The prior coach wasn’t nearly as demanding as CMA js of his players,  both on and off the court.  

Moore was a hothead and a poor person to boot.  If there was a mutiny of sorts by the players to support him, in the face of CMA’s discipline, it was a poor choice.  

Bottom line is that it’s the coaches team and players don’t get a chance to make those kind of decisions.  As far as “blame” goes, I don’t think there is any.  CMA and staff replaced some malcontents promptly with better players.   Now that this team is full of guys recruited by CMA, I think it easier to hold him accountable should players  mass exodus.  I think much of it was a culture shock for the players  who did things very differently prior.

Amaseinyourface post=439639 said:

He was all those things plus your additional post above, but he was also productive. I’d might even say really productive.

On stats alone, Moore should’ve been awarded 6th man of the year in the BE.

That said, he’s the one guy I’m glad who’s gone. Earlington and Williams I wanted back badly. 

Except for Earlington and Dunn, the others were from scattered parts of the country…except for Moore and Cole, the others were Mullin recruits…Wusu getting serious end of game minutes…

Practice at 6am everyday, reduced but more intense game minutes, may not be for everybody. ButCMA graduates kids, put Wlliams into leadership roles off the court, and had two NIT teams the past two years…a lot of New York at St Johns now…let’s roll out the basketballs!

Back