Johnnies Tidbits

I read the article and am quite surprised. Mike Anderson is very familiar with health problems effecting a team. Nolan Richardson's daughter battled leukemia for several years. Mike took her to treatments in Tulsa. It was a very difficult time for Nolan because he had just been hired at Arkansas. Nolan took a leave of absence to be with his daughter at the end. I would expect Mike to be very supportive of any employee with serious health problems. There has to be more to this conflict between Coach Anderson and DeMeo. 

​​​​​Nolan was old school and pushed his players extremely hard. The 40 minutes of hell style ball requires tremendous fitness. I've heard Mike is pretty tough too. He's had to adapt practice for todays athletes. What worked in 1988 wouldn't be tolerated today. 

​​​​​Hard practices are easier for the players to accept when the team wins. Hopefully Mike finally has the players that fit his program. 

Last edited:
MCN I'm having a problem with quote function. While I have no inside info, I can't see most of the kids who left having left because CMA worked them too hard. If that was the case why did Earl, Williams, Robert's and Caraher return last season? In the case of the first 2, CMA and the staff really helped elevate their game, as they did with Champ, so one would think that they enjoyed playing for CMA and his staff. Again, just my opinion. As for CMA having an issue with Mullin's kids, there are new coaches all over the country every year who retain and coach kids they didn't sign. Gotta be able to do that if you want to be successful right out of the gate. Both Lavin and Jarvis did it quite well here, just to name 2. Notwithstanding the new transfer rule. I'm not one for excuses, not my personality, so naturally I'm going lay some of the blame on CMA and the staff. 

Last edited:
Monte post=439663 said:
MCN I'm having a problem with quote function. While I have no inside info, I can't see most of the kids who left having left because CMA worked them too hard. If that was the case why did Earl, Williams, Robert's and Caraher return last season? In the case of the first 2, CMA and the staff really helped elevate their game, as they did with Champ, so one would think that they enjoyed playing for CMA and his staff. Again, just my opinion. As for CMA having an issue with Mullin's kids, there are new coaches all over the country every year who retain and coach kids they didn't sign. Gotta be able to do that if you want to be successful right out of the gate. Both Lavin and Jarvis did it quite well here, just to name 2. Notwithstanding the new transfer rule. I'm not one for excuses, not my personality, so naturally I'm going lay some of the blame on CMA and the staff. 
Monte, go to the new "Quote Function" posting. SJU14's directions actually work -- even for a geezer like me.

Last edited by a moderator:
redken post=439666 said:
Monte post=439663 said:
Monte, go to the new "Quote Function" posting. SJU14's directions actually work -- even for a geezer like me.
From one old geezer to another; thank you!  Hope you're well Ken. 

Admittedly, I haven’t read the actual pleading, and I’m a securities litigation (as opposed to employment), but the allegations concerning alleged team issues are irrelevant to any claim for wrongful termination.  At least from what I have read, it appears that those allegations were just included to paint a negative picture of CMA, but won’t have any legal significance.

Bottom line, this program got through the Pittsburgh scandal, which was way darker and more disturbing than the allegations here. I have no doubt that this one will be just a bump on a promising road.  

Soriano looks leaner.. Zach said he went from 282 to 262.  However on Fordham roster last year he was listed at 250. 

Monte post=439663 said:

You make some good points. My only response is maybe they didn't want to sit out a year, and the decision became easier once their friends on the team started transferring.

Brooklyn Red wrote:
Interesting comment from Julian "It's a different atmosphere with this team.  Everybody is 100 percent here."  Sounds like there were malcontents among the team last year and they have left.

Funny Brooklyn Red but I had a similar thought when I read that quote. At least in Julian's mind, seems like team chemistry might be better this year in that everyone is on the same page.  

Last edited:
Monte post=439663 said:
Stuff happens within a team all the time, stuff that most outside will never ever here of.  Sometimes, "insiders"  find out about things  but you will never hear about it from them because it was told either in confidence or they know its should stay in-house and be dealt with as such.  

DeMeo as part of his wrongful termination lawsuit, has brought stuff out that if true, would normally stay in-house, and not aired out for public consumption.  That is a breach of an unwritten rule.    I don't expect many (if any) of the transfers if asked, will directly comment on the allegation of conflicts on the record (again whether all, some or none of the allegations are true or not) because they have moved on and won't breach the unwritten rule.  It was evident last year that everyone was not on the same page, and we know that was the case with Moore who last year was suspended and benched.  We heard about the so-called favoritism to the NYC players (who happen to include the best two players on the team).  Was that a perception or just jealousy?

We lost all but three scholarship players from last year's team, so I would think with that many transfer's and Julian's comments (which didn't directly name any one player) seems to say not everyone was happy for whatever reason. 

I understand DeMeo is bitter about his release and as is normally done in support of a lawsuit, plantiffs,  based on the advice of their counsel or others, will throw every little thing into it to fog the issue and make them look good and the defendant to look petty and bad.  It does not mean that some of the material and the main basis of the suit, is not valid.  I don't know if it is or not, I am hoping it is not..

I am getting feeling Steve regrets his decision and hopefully opts to withdraw the suit.

Cases can be voluntarily withdrawn by the plaintiff and sometimes it happens when the plaintiff has to start laying out money. I don't know too many employment lawyers on the plaintiff's side who take it on a pure contingency. So if and when Steve starts paying out money for legal fees, and costs, this case might go away. For another thing, experts will be needed to prove his case on liability but more so damages, and those out of pockets can add up quickly. Many plaintiffs lose their appetite for the lawsuit after that.

BrookJersey Redmen post=439748 said:
Cases can be voluntarily withdrawn by the plaintiff and sometimes it happens when the plaintiff has to start laying out money. I don't know too many employment lawyers on the plaintiff's side who take it on a pure contingency. So if and when Steve starts paying out money for legal fees, and costs, this case might go away. For another thing, experts will be needed to prove his case on liability but more so damages, and those out of pockets can add up quickly. Many plaintiffs lose their appetite for the lawsuit after that.

The other issue is has he hurt his future hiring/earning potential due to the nature of publicity of the suit and is there any cutting of losses potential in withdrawing it before it becomes too big a thing.

Maybe he already accomplished his goal - throwing dirt at the program and CMA. The suit was a convenient way to lend more credence to his allegations.

SJU85 post=439744 said:
Monte post=439663 said:
Stuff happens within a team all the time, stuff that most outside will never ever here of.  Sometimes, "insiders"  find out about things  but you will never hear about it from them because it was told either in confidence or they know its should stay in-house and be dealt with as such.  

DeMeo as part of his wrongful termination lawsuit, has brought stuff out that if true, would normally stay in-house, and not aired out for public consumption.  That is a breach of an unwritten rule.    I don't expect many (if any) of the transfers if asked, will directly comment on the allegation of conflicts on the record (again whether all, some or none of the allegations are true or not) because they have moved on and won't breach the unwritten rule.  It was evident last year that everyone was not on the same page, and we know that was the case with Moore who last year was suspended and benched.  We heard about the so-called favoritism to the NYC players (who happen to include the best two players on the team).  Was that a perception or just jealousy?

We lost all but three scholarship players from last year's team, so I would think with that many transfer's and Julian's comments (which didn't directly name any one player) seems to say not everyone was happy for whatever reason. 

I understand DeMeo is bitter about his release and as is normally done in support of a lawsuit, plantiffs,  based on the advice of their counsel or others, will throw every little thing into it to fog the issue and make them look good and the defendant to look petty and bad.  It does not mean that some of the material and the main basis of the suit, is not valid.  I don't know if it is or not, I am hoping it is not..
Regardless of what was going on behind the scenes, the kids played hard pretty
much every second on the court, and they exceeded expectations. That's a reflection on the kids and the staff. However, when such a large % of the team transfers out at one time, that's also a reflection on the staff. Yes, s_ _ t happens on lots of teams, and it doesn't usually make the papers. But when it does happen, it's the job of the coach/staff to address and resolve the issue(s). Last year was an anomaly because of the transfer rule. Without that, maybe most of the kids come back with a different attitude. All i can say is that if most of the team had returned, I would have fully expected us to be a tourney team. Let's hope that with an almost entirely new roster, we will be a tourney team. Anything less, and I won't be satisfied. Especially with Champ and others leaving. 

Were there any leaks about discontent last year?

Back