Johnnies Tidbits

Moose post=439569 said:
https://twitter.com/CaraherDavid30/status/1441084505540874241
LOL, didn't Caraher quit on the team before the first semester was even over and just stayed home when they got that break to see family.

I know, because of our many issues, people are ready to fall out of their seats over this. Personally I am not all that perturbed by it. Here’s why:

1- Former players being upset. Boo hoo. This happens to every team, everywhere. Especially in a system this year where college players were allowed to basically become free agents. There were hundreds of transfers. Players all think they should play more. Some think the offense should revolve around them. That some of these kids butted heads with a strong willed Coach is not a surprise. The not playing in the NIT is just nonsense. Several teams opted not to play in the NIT. No one should be surprised that a bunch of 19-20 year olds wanted no part of another month of basically house arrest given CoVid protocols. Let’s not be naive.

I have no idea what any of pthat has to do with a discrimination lawsuit because of a medical condition. Seems like it’s attempt to impugn the character of a head coach who, by all accounts, has a pretty solid reputation.

2- I have personally been involved in several lawsuits in my career. As a Manager of people, it’s just part of the deal. I know the legal eagles here might dispute this but the fact St. John’s didn’t buckle and “settle” the suit is a sign that St. John’s lawyers might not be too impressed with what they have heard. Usually before firing someone Superiors (Cragg?), Human Resources,, and the lawyers are consulted. Pretty certain that St. John’s was aware of any of the medical conditions of the complainant. I have no idea of the type of contract Demeo had but I would assume he had some type of buyout if he was let go early. He claims he wasn’t paid vacation time. That’s odd to me because if Demeo was disabled because of his procedure ( in most places) you use your sick time first and then you might use vacation time ( your choice) before STD (short term disability) picks up (if he was covered). This is usually done by the employee so they are paid in full as long as possible. LTD (long term disability) usually after 8 weeks is MUCH harder to prove. Honestly, we don’t know the facts so that’s speculation. 

Sorry for the long winded post. I just think when people hear lawsuit they tend to get the reaction the person filing it wants. This all looks pretty benign. 

Monte post=439550 said:
While I do believe that there are elements of truth in the accusations, like most other lawsuits the facts are grossly exaggerated by the lawyers(no offense to myriad lawyers on the board).  Having said that, if I'm SJU I'd hold off on that CMA statue for a while. 
_____

1.  Monte ..... Welcome back.  Don't be a stranger.

2.  Please don't blame attorneys for frivelous lawsuits, blame their "blood sucking" clients. /media/kunena/emoticons/cool.png

3.  I would appreciate if an attorney whose practice focuses on labor law can please explain what duty an employer has to retain an employee on a small specialized staff who can no longer perform their duties because of health issues.    

otis post=439583 said:
Monte post=439550 said:
While I do believe that there are elements of truth in the accusations, like most other lawsuits the facts are grossly exaggerated by the lawyers(no offense to myriad lawyers on the board).  Having said that, if I'm SJU I'd hold off on that CMA statue for a while. 
_____

2.  Please don't blame attorneys for frivelous lawsuits, blame their "blood sucking" clients. /media/kunena/emoticons/cool.png

3.  I would appreciate if an attorney whose practice focuses on labor law can please explain what duty an employer has to retain an employee on a small specialized staff who can no longer perform their duties because of health issues.    
pretty sure this is right up Lawmanfans alley with labor stuff workers comp etc

I'm not going to get too deep into the weeds here but see my post on page 6 of this thread. 

Not the Monte one, the other one. ;-)

MainMan post=439518 said:
Problem isn't accusations of team dissension from last year.

It's that DeMeo has a ton of connections and is well-liked by a lot of people up and down the basketball stratosphere. 

CMA has built a good core and Macon has done a miracle job in reestablishing relationships with the local bball community. 

I just hope DeMeo's accusations don't give us a black mark among many others. 
A ton of connections and is well-liked that yielded us * checks notes * Vince Cole and Isaih Moore...

Overall I'm not too concerned, but one part from the allegations does concern me a bit. Could this part present a problem?

The problems between Anderson and DeMeo, according to the lawsuit and an interview with SI, began shortly after the season ended at a performance review meeting in May. In the meeting, DeMeo told Anderson that he’d likely need additional time off due to upcoming medical procedures. The suit states that Anderson responded by rolling his eyes and saying “Well, you have a job to do; you have to do it.” The meeting ended shortly thereafter.

Last edited:
Much ado about nothing.  Lots of kids that weren’t recruited by him,  didn’t want to work hard to play for Mike Anderson and a coach that seemingly didn’t either.  Move on.  This won’t be a big deal nor will it hurt recruiting.  New kids recruited know what Mike Anderson is about.  The fact that all those idiots followed that idiot Isiah Moore says enough to me.  

I know very little about DeMeo other than he didn't do much successful recruiting for us. Having said that, the fact that he would throw in all the completely irrelevant stuff about player revolt and mistreatment of Moore (last part is laughable on its face) in a suit alleging wrongful termination based on a health condition does not make me think the substance of his wrongful termination claim has much merit. This is especially true given CMA's longstanding, well-earned reputation as a straight arrow who does things the right way.

I'm not particularly worried about this except that it puts a damper on what has otherwise been a wonderful off season. I seriously doubt that the performance review meeting went the way described in the article. No employer in their right mind today rolls their eyes when someone asks for time off for a medical procedure.   
Back to the Yankees playoff qualification cliffhangers for me.

P1NSTR1PEZ post=439587 said:
MainMan post=439518 said:
Problem isn't accusations of team dissension from last year.

It's that DeMeo has a ton of connections and is well-liked by a lot of people up and down the basketball stratosphere. 

CMA has built a good core and Macon has done a miracle job in reestablishing relationships with the local bball community. 

I just hope DeMeo's accusations don't give us a black mark among many others. 
A ton of connections and is well-liked that yielded us * checks notes * Vince Cole and Isaih Moore...

Where do you guys keep getting Vince Cole from?  DeMeo had nothing to do with him, that was TJ's recruit.  Isiah Moore and Stef Smith are the only recruits DeMeo was the lead on that made the roster.  And from listening to Stef Smith's interview he did after he committed, sounds like CMA did much of the work there as well, DeMeo was just the first to contact him.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/23/ex-st-johns-assistant-steve-demeo-sues-school-after-ousting/

"DeMeo played an active role in recruiting junior college transfer Isaih Moore and incoming Vermont graduate transfer Stef Smith. Moore transferred after his one and only season at St. John’s."

Last edited:
nycfan post=439524 said:
Room112 post=439523 said:
The filing also states that St. John's decision not to play in the NIT because of the demands of COVID-19 protocols was a “false excuse to protect Mr. Anderson” because “the team simply did not want to play for him anymore.”

Wasn't there a rumor like at this at the end of last year? Maybe I'm mis remembering

I do remember that.  It was also indicated the system favored NY players and the only players who ended up not transferring were from NY (Posh, Wusu & Julian).  And of course a lot of noise regarding Moore.

Bottom line this is now public for the world to see and available for opposing coaches to use against us.

And all of the malcontents are gone

Making Plays post=439525 said:
Moose post=439507 said:
wwalwyn post=439504 said:
This isn't a big deal.

It very well might not be.

But it's yet another shoe dropping.  We were having arguably our quietest and best off-season in a LONG time.  And now a former employee is disgruntled and not just saying he was fired unjustly but also in turn talking about team revolts.  And yes we lost the majority of the team but 3 important players all returned and we re-loaded.

CMA has had a squeaky clean image and these accusations give ammo to those who aren't fans of CMA (Goodman) and other coaches to use negatively (just like many were rejoicing with Powell and Willard).

Far too often for a program that has been largely irrelevant for a few decades there are these black marks popping up.  They might prove to be nothing but more people remember the smoke regardless of no fire coming from it.
If this is the worst thing that happens, it'll be a very good season.  

That article is absolutely wild, even CMA haters that are in Arkansas are laughing at the article.  If anything CMA is known for being too nice and not making changes on his staff when he has guys that are dead weight.  The stuff he's saying doesn't even make sense, he's portraying in the article that he's the guy that held everything together, all while at the same time saying he was out an extended amount of time for medical reasons, it makes no sense at all. 

He didn't even recruit anybody but Isiah Moore, and he's trying to portray Moore like he's a victim, when we all sat and watched him take horrible shots throwing the team's rhythm off after repeatedly being told not to take those shots, him hanging on the rim and taunting players after every dunk, and him going on twitter rants. If anything CMA was too nice in handling the Moore situation, most coaches they tell a 26% 3 point shooter to stop shooting 3's, and he keeps doing it, he's sitting on the end of the bench for the rest of the season and they tell them to look for a new school the next semester.
I hope Demeo is able to overcome his health challenges but, there are jobs that lend themselves to work-at-home and jobs that don’t. Coaching is not one of them - its hands on and requires travel. It’s not like CMA could backfill for him while he was out. With 20+ years of bad results, SJ’s window to turn things around is short. We’ve already experienced what happens when we don’t have a full staff out recruiting.

Making Plays post=439525 said:
Moose post=439507 said:
wwalwyn post=439504 said:
This isn't a big deal.

It very well might not be.

But it's yet another shoe dropping.  We were having arguably our quietest and best off-season in a LONG time.  And now a former employee is disgruntled and not just saying he was fired unjustly but also in turn talking about team revolts.  And yes we lost the majority of the team but 3 important players all returned and we re-loaded.

CMA has had a squeaky clean image and these accusations give ammo to those who aren't fans of CMA (Goodman) and other coaches to use negatively (just like many were rejoicing with Powell and Willard).

Far too often for a program that has been largely irrelevant for a few decades there are these black marks popping up.  They might prove to be nothing but more people remember the smoke regardless of no fire coming from it.
If this is the worst thing that happens, it'll be a very good season.  

That article is absolutely wild, even CMA haters that are in Arkansas are laughing at the article.  If anything CMA is known for being too nice and not making changes on his staff when he has guys that are dead weight.  The stuff he's saying doesn't even make sense, he's portraying in the article that he's the guy that held everything together, all while at the same time saying he was out an extended amount of time for medical reasons, it makes no sense at all. 

He didn't even recruit anybody but Isiah Moore, and he's trying to portray Moore like he's a victim, when we all sat and watched him take horrible shots throwing the team's rhythm off after repeatedly being told not to take those shots, him hanging on the rim and taunting players after every dunk, and him going on twitter rants. If anything CMA was too nice in handling the Moore situation, most coaches they tell a 26% 3 point shooter to stop shooting 3's, and he keeps doing it, he's sitting on the end of the bench for the rest of the season and they tell them to look for a new school the next semester.
I hope Demeo is able to overcome his health challenges but, there are jobs that lend themselves to work-at-home and jobs that don’t. Coaching is not one of them - its hands on and requires travel. It’s not like CMA could backfill for him while he was out. With 20+ years of bad results, SJ’s window to turn things around is short. We’ve already experienced what happens when we don’t have a full staff out recruiting.

RedStormNC post=439529 said:
Summer officially ended and the extra sunshine goes along with it.

Not the Myles Powell thing, but somewhere Kevin Willard must be smiling just a bit from this news.
I don’t think this remotely approaches the claims that SH/Willard are facing. The fact that Champagnie stayed when he had a hall pass and actively recruited others to come aboard is evidence that CMA is doing something right.

Last edited:
Lashown Trakel post=439554 said:
I’m reluctant to comment on this however… 
1) this was not a surprise 
2) parts of the accounts in these accusations are true 
3) This unfortunately is a litigious society where anybody can sue anyone for anything 
4)!Nobody cares what I think and i RARELY lose my temper but I DO know what happened and in my eyes this is a cowardly classless move… I stand by what  I told Paultzmab when Mike was hired… he’s as fine and a stand up man as I have ever met… I stand by coach and his actions here in respect to both the coach and players mentioned. Period. 
Amen

otis post=439583 said:
Monte post=439550 said:
_____

Thanks Otis. FYI I didn't say "all" lawsuits, I said "most". Maybe I should have said "many". I can't speak for anyone else except myself, but the few lawsuits that I was involved in, the numbers were totally driven up by the lawyers. Not by me. In fact in one, where I was represented by a pretty well known NYC attorney, when I said to him "how much money are you asking for?????", he basically told me to STFU lol 

Montes attorney on the left  [attachment=2219]89A97E24-6859-4224-94F5-BFDBCBCA1C2D.jpeg[/attachment]

lawmanfan post=439577 said:
Monte post=439550 said:

And WELCOME BACK MONTE (also props for making your grand return with a post slandering me, but no worries, my process server knows where you live).

/media/kunena/emoticons/wink.png

Ugh... just when CMA picked up his recruiting, my biggest criticism of him, this nonsense happens.

I haven't read all of the posts, but a few thoughts about these claims:
1. Clearly there's some exaggeration (COVID is a poor argument for a team without any pauses), but also some truth to it. I sensed something was off last year with the mass exodus (yes, 8 transfers is still several more than the national average) and the odd NIT decline. How much of the team took issue with CMA is the question, and was this an outlier group? I have to think so given how long he has coached without any issues. I don't expect a repeat of this anytime soon.
2. Why hasn't anyone defended CMA by denying these allegations? No current or former players (besides David's discouraging Tweet)? It's obviously great that Champ, Posh and Wusu returned and that does say something, but it's still odd. Perhaps they were advised not to say anything due to it being a legal matter.
3. Hopefully St. John's was aware of this when they signed CMA to an extension a few months ago and are confident it won't amount to anything. It still sounds like both the school and CMA should've done more to prevent this from escalating into a lawsuit since it's a bad look for them regardless.
4. This puts more pressure on CMA to reach the Tournament this year. Winning solves a lot of issues in sports and that would help to squash this. Our fanbase is hungry and despite CMA's "Coach of the Year" award, he still has yet to make the NIT or NCAA in 2 seasons, which is really the bare minimum we should expect as a fanbase by year 3. No, I'm not counting last year as an NIT appearance because enough players on the team literally quit. That's unacceptable regardless of who is at fault.
5. As for the players who bailed on the NIT and are now at low or mid-majors, they foolishly missed out on their moment of relevance. That team could've won it, or at least won a few games and got some solid ESPN exposure. Even if they lost their first game, making the NIT is something nobody ever could've taken away from them, but they stripped it from themselves. That's something I'm sure most of them will regret when their college careers are over.

Last edited:
You guys can bash DeMeo, and the players who left, all you want. Maybe it's warranted. However the fact of the matter is that CMA brought in DeMeo and most of the players who were part of the mass exodus(in spite of the fact that we probably/hopefully upgraded the talent, the mass exodus was not a good optic). This is not a knock on CMA as a man or as a coach, but the bottom line is that as the HC he has to bare some of the responsibility for what's happened here. 

Back