Johnnies Tidbits

mjmaherjr post=439551 said:
Monte post=439550 said:
While I do believe that there are elements of truth in the accusations, like most other lawsuits the facts are grossly exaggerated by the lawyers(no offense to myriad lawyers on the board).  Having said that, if I'm SJU I'd hold off on that CMA statue for a while. 
Best day of the year my buddy Monte is back !!!!

Indeed. Welcome back!

I am glad it is in Federal court, the judges there are superior (generally) and hopefully it works out favorably for SJU.

Last edited:
I’m reluctant to comment on this however… 
1) this was not a surprise 
2) parts of the accounts in these accusations are true 
3) This unfortunately is a litigious society where anybody can sue anyone for anything 
4)!Nobody cares what I think and i RARELY lose my temper but I DO know what happened and in my eyes this is a cowardly classless move… I stand by what  I told Paultzmab when Mike was hired… he’s as fine and a stand up man as I have ever met… I stand by coach and his actions here in respect to both the coach and players mentioned. Period. 

It seems to me that the players who were complaining, and didn’t want to play at the end,  didn’t want to work hard and weren’t Big East caliber players . They were upset because the players with Big East talent, Champ, Posh and Wusu were getting the most burn at the end of the season. Tough! That’s life in the big city. Our two best players stayed, what does that tell you? Plus , they just got another OSL recruit who’s probably talking to Posh and Wusu so what does that say? All the new players that are here have no complaints, what does that tell you? Much ado about nothing. 

BrookJersey Redmen post=439553 said:
I am glad it is in Federal court, the judges there are superior (generally) and hopefully it works out favorably for SJU.

This article presumably is reporting on the most important and relevant "facts" for the lawsuit's merits.  If so, these "facts" and allegations are laughable.  I doubt a federal judge will find much, if any, merit to it.

[URL]https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/23/st-johns-basketball-mike-anderson-steve-demeo-lawsuit[/URL]]www.si.com/college/2021/09/23/st-johns-b...-steve-demeo-lawsuit[/url]

Three strikes against DeMeo lawsuit IMO:

1. Courts and Judges don't like it when the lawyers try the case in the press. His lawyers' comments are doing just that STRIKE ONE.
2. Courts and Judges don't like it when you include unrelated allegations in your complaint, like things about "losing the team", "Half-time comments", and "NIT covid protocols" etc., etc, all having zero to do with his alleged ADA cause of action, but 100% to do with garnering publicity negative to a prominent defendant. STRIKE TWO.
3. Federal courts and judges are simply more likely to dismiss a case or grant summary judgment for wrongful termination than state courts, and that is STRIKE THREE.

What I think a lot of people are missing, is that DeMeo being let go had nothing to do with the kids who transferred.Some left because they thought their playing time would go down this season. Some left to go home where they think that they will be the MAN. Others were not a good fit, plain and simple.

What DeMeo and his lawyers did is very petty and vindictive. He claims that he was being let go because of his medical situation, how does the positive or negative interaction between Coach Anderson and players factor into that. Honestly, what exactly has he done for the program? He did not recruit very well. All I hear is that he is a nice guy. If he is such a nice guy, he would stick to the facts of his dismissal and not try to destroy Coach Anderson's reputation.

I completely understand how this is affecting everyone, myself included. However, I do not think this will negatively effect Coach Anderson or St. Johns. Anyone with common sense will see this for what it is. A disgruntled former employee attempting to trash those who let him go instead of looking at his own shortcomings.

Making Plays post=439519 said:
SJUFAN2 post=439505 said:
wwalwyn post=439504 said:
This isn't a big deal.
Hopefully.
But its a bad look no matter how you slice it.  
LOL, it's no big deal at all, just a salty former employee trying to grab some money on his way out.  Anybody that reads that article can tell it's complete BS.  DeMeo claimed he was the guy holding the team together, all while missing multiple weeks while being in the hospital after surgery, then missing even more time having to be at home recovering.  How you holding the team together and you not even there lol.  Then he claims they didn't care about Covid-19 protocol, and the Johnnies handled it better than any other team in the conference and didn't get shut down at any point due to a positive case. 

What it boiled down to is DeMeo wasn't carrying his weight.  His biggest recruit was Isiah Moore, who was the biggest problem on the team.  And on top of that he was out multiple weeks and it appears as if he was going to be missing more time in the future.  If CMA gets fired for not winning games, nobody is going to care that he was nice to DeMeo and let him work from home to handle personal issues.  He needs an assistant that can be on the road, recruit, and be at practice, any reasonable person can read the article and understand that.
Good thing for us then that the country is brimming with reasonable people these days...  /media/kunena/emoticons/smile.png

I agree its not a big deal from an accuracy standpoint, but its still a bad look.   

Monte post=439550 said:
While I do believe that there are elements of truth in the accusations, like most other lawsuits the facts are grossly exaggerated by the lawyers(no offense to myriad lawyers on the board).  Having said that, if I'm SJU I'd hold off on that CMA statue for a while. 
Welcome back.

If Steve DeMeo was illegally fired or treated in any illegal or even unethical way as it relates to his health issues, than that is a problem and it should be handled appropriately.

However, and as other have alluded to, regardless of the veracity of his claims (which are questionable) it's strange that they're leaking all these unrelated complaints about Coach Anderson and the program. It's just not relevant and it makes DeMeo look bad. Wouldn't future employers think twice about hiring someone who so brazenly besmirched the reputation of their former employer for seemingly no good reason? He already got the ECU assistant job so I can't blame them for the hire if they didn't know, but it's very odd. Also, he was hired by ECU, a (borderline) major conference program so his claims about having his opportunities for the 2021-22 season hindered are suspect.  

That's all for now. I bet Shoes will serve the program more effectively. 

A coach and school can fire any coach for not performing.  Anyone can come out of the woodwork with reasons they think they were let go but at the end of the day its based on performance.  You can try to link a lot to it. Welcome to this shitty litigious world we now live in.

What's most surprising is Demeo found another job.  I would get it more if he was out of work and unable to find a job but he has.  

Honestly, as an attorney and diehard fan, I’m actually relieved.  In the world of vindictive lawsuits, this is relatively benign.  There are no allegations of systemic-institutional-type issues, e.g,, recruiting violations, academic improprieties (which would be shocking given CMA’s and our AD’s respective reputations).  

The actual allegations are also contradicted by: (i) our two best players returning; and (ii) statements by recruits and their families about the program having a family-type feel.  Even if certain players threatened to revolt if CMA kicked Moore off the team (which I actually think would have been warranted), such allegations would not give rise to a legally recognizable claim. 

Any possible lingering black-eye to the CMA’s and/or the program’s reputation (which I think is highly unlikely) will miraculously heal VERY quickly if this team is successful on the court (which we are all pretty optimistic will be the case).  Bottom line, this matter might be a small annoyance, but highly unlikely that it has any real consequence for CMA and/or the program as a whole — and does nothing to dampen my excitement for the coming season!!! 

Gents- we are not a winning program, outside of our world no one is going to pay attention to this lawsuit :).  Be worried about this stuff once we are winning again.  At least it was filed now before the season begins. It's all just amplified lawyer talk.  There is nothing here to uncover,  This is a disgruntled former loser employee

They don't even need a reason.  They can just fire him for picking his nose.  Or for standing in the wrong spot.  NY  is a employment at will state, meaning you can essentially be fired or not retained in this case for any reason and it is essentially legal.

The exceptions are for certain Civil Rights reasons, such as race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation etc.  I believe that is why he is using the cover of being terminated for underlying health reasons.  There maybe a Federal statute that he can sue under for health reasons.  But it is Hail Mary from a disgruntled ex-employee.

Moose post=439570
A coach and school can fire any coach for not performing.  Anyone can come out of the woodwork with reasons they think they were let go but at the end of the day its based on performance.  You can try to link a lot to it. Welcome to this shitty litigious world we now live in.

What's most surprising is Demeo found another job.  I would get it more if he was out of work and unable to find a job but he has.  

panther2 post=439564 said:
What I think a lot of people are missing, is that DeMeo being let go had nothing to do with the kids who transferred.Some left because they thought their playing time would go down this season. Some left to go home where they think that they will be the MAN. Others were not a good fit, plain and simple.

What DeMeo and his lawyers did is very petty and vindictive. He claims that he was being let go because of his medical situation, how does the positive or negative interaction between Coach Anderson and players factor into that. Honestly, what exactly has he done for the program? He did not recruit very well. All I hear is that he is a nice guy. If he is such a nice guy, he would stick to the facts of his dismissal and not try to destroy Coach Anderson's reputation.

I completely understand how this is affecting everyone, myself included. However, I do not think this will negatively effect Coach Anderson or St. Johns. Anyone with common sense will see this for what it is. A disgruntled former employee attempting to trash those who let him go instead of looking at his own shortcomings.

The answer here in my opinion is as follows:

1.  DeMeo was let go.

2.  DeMeo alleges that his termination was a result of discrimination based on a medical disability and that he was entitled to a reasonable accommodation under the A.D.A. which was not provided.

3.  On its face, that is a valid claim under various provisions of federal, state, and NYC law which may or may not be borne out by the evidence or the law in the end.

4.  The material in the complaint related to the program is obviously irrelevant to the core allegation.  It may have been included in support of a broader "hostile work environment" claim but from a practical standpoint it is almost certainly irrelevant to the legal issues in the case.

5.  The reason it is there (and unsurprisingly came to light as the result of a Sports Illustrated article) is because DeMeo's lawyers either tried unsuccessfully to negotiate this with the school and decided to employ a media strategy to create leverage or because they went straight to a media strategy to try to create leverage.

6.  The media strategy component either tells you that the underlying complaint may be rather weak or just that this is an approach this particular firm chose to employ for a variety of potential reasons.

7.  Ultimately from an SJU standpoint this is a tempest in a teapot and better off being ignored.

Last edited:
I'm weirdly not too bothered by this. It'll mostly be annoying when other fans or reporters use it to diminish the program but I can't imagine it actually hurts any recruiting relationships that already exist.

I'm not surprised there were issues with Moore (it seemed like we all sort of assumed that anyway) and I'm not too off put by either a head coach removing a player or that player's teammates sticking up for him. If Coach really did lose the team at the end of the season and nobody wanted to play for him anymore that would be concerning. However the key players returned, the one's who he believed in and gave time to where the previous coach wouldn't (Williams, Earlington, Roberts) seemed at least on the surface to depart on good terms and the one's there appeared to be issues with well...there were.

I don't know anything about DeMeo as a person and I'm clearly biased towards the program but some of the details included (true or false) don't seem central to the suit. Because of those unnecessary details and twisting of the knife it reads like a guy who was angry he was fired. Obviously if he's truly been wronged I hope he finds whatever justice he deserves.

I wonder how Isaiah Moore feels about Steve DeMeo airing his dirty laundry in a public lawsuit. A guy making 6 figures a year is using the struggles of a 21 year old playing for free to add shock value to a lawsuit that seems to have little to do with Moore. I doubt anybody is a good guy in all this, but the way DeMeo is using a kid to gain attention is gross.  

Monte post=439550 said:

And WELCOME BACK MONTE (also props for making your grand return with a post slandering me, but no worries, my process server knows where you live).

Back